Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much revision for A LEVELS?? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    1. When did you start revising?
    2. What grades did you achieve?
    3. What revision techniques did you use?
    4. What revision method worked/did not work?
    5. Roughly how much hours did you revise after school/weekends/holidays ?
    6. Were you happy about your grades. If so why/why not??

Just started year12 and would love any advice you could give me thanks!!!

ReputationRep:
    Me too i just started year 12 and was stressing out a lot but a wise friend told me the only advice you should take on board is to not panic by always reviewing what you learnt in class in detail EVERYDAY so you will be confident in knowing the knowledge. Trust me it helps and also always be organised

ReputationRep:
    I bummed my marge

ReputationRep:
    1. Mid-late April
    2. AAAB in AS Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry (1 mark off in chemistry)
    3. Past papers and making notes from revision guides
    4. Past papers are great once you know all the content
    5. I started doing light revision (maybe a 30 mins - 1 hour every few days) in the Easter holidays, did more in May and a lot right before exams
    6. I was happy with my grades

Make sure you have a solid grasp of the content, then do lots of past papers close to the exams.

ReputationRep:
    1. When did you start revising? Feb half term
    2. What grades did you achieve? A*AB
    3. What revision techniques did you use? writing notes and planning answers
    4. What revision method worked/did not work? flashcards- Took too long
    5. Roughly how much hours did you revise after school/weekends/holidays ? after school like 2 including homework. Over the weekend probs 5 overall.
    6. Were you happy about your grades. If so why/why not?? Happy with the A*A not with the B as i got an A last year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nailahjr)

I did English lit, Maths & History, got 2A*s and an A (maths)

English lit - I made notes at Easter and during study leave on the two texts I found hardest, then read through these and my essays constantly for the 10 hours before the exam, went to sleep about 4am. I didn't revise the texts we did in year 12 because they weren't difficult

History - I read through the textbook, my notes & essays the night before each exam

Maths - I went through the syllabuses and made notes on each module at the start of study leave and then did past papers for the rest of study leave (so 4 weeks before)

I am very lazy and find it difficult to revise English and History, but I did well in them because I am good at writing essays, and have an excellent short term memory - if I read through a textbook, the facts will stay in my mind for the next 24 hours. Excellent for exams, terrible for long term learning.

ReputationRep:
    At AS I revised the whole way through but more intensely about a month before exams. At A2 I stepped my game up and revised intensely from the very start.

A*A*A

Reading books, making notes on computers and most of all - completing past papers.

Books are good for foundations and ensuring teachers taught me correctly... which sometimes they didn't. Also good for seeing if teachers missed anything : I recommend printing off the specification for this purpose too. Econplusdal was incredible for Economics! Past papers ALWAYS work as long as they are correctly marked. Only issue is if you don't understand something and can't learn from the paper - however, at least a weakness is now identified. Making notes can sometimes seem boring and not worthwhile but it worked for me in Economics so can't be complete rubbish.

Schooldays about 3-4 after school, non-school days a minimum of 6 hours, sometimes up to 8/9.

V happy, top of my year at a pretty average public school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _voldemort)
    Me too i just started year 12 and was stressing out a lot but a wise friend told me the only advice you should take on board is to not panic by always reviewing what you learnt in class in detail EVERYDAY so you will be confident in knowing the knowledge. Trust me it helps and also always be organised
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Pontus)
    1. Mid-late April
    2. AAAB in AS Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry (1 mark off in chemistry)
    3. Past papers and making notes from revision guides
    4. Past papers are great once you know all the content
    5. I started doing light revision (maybe a 30 mins - 1 hour every few days) in the Easter holidays, did more in May and a lot right before exams
    6. I was happy with my grades

Make sure you have a solid grasp of the content, then do lots of past papers close to the exams.
    Wow excellent grades would u recommend starting revision now like light revision ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CallumJSC)
    At AS I revised the whole way through but more intensely about a month before exams. At A2 I stepped my game up and revised intensely from the very start.

A*A*A

Reading books, making notes on computers and most of all - completing past papers.

Books are good for foundations and ensuring teachers taught me correctly... which sometimes they didn't. Also good for seeing if teachers missed anything : I recommend printing off the specification for this purpose too. Econplusdal was incredible for Economics! Past papers ALWAYS work as long as they are correctly marked. Only issue is if you don't understand something and can't learn from the paper - however, at least a weakness is now identified. Making notes can sometimes seem boring and not worthwhile but it worked for me in Economics so can't be complete rubbish.

Schooldays about 3-4 after school, non-school days a minimum of 6 hours, sometimes up to 8/9.

V happy, top of my year at a pretty average public school
    Thanks u got amazing grades wow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeapingLucy)
    I did English lit, Maths & History, got 2A*s and an A (maths)

English lit - I made notes at Easter and during study leave on the two texts I found hardest, then read through these and my essays constantly for the 10 hours before the exam, went to sleep about 4am. I didn't revise the texts we did in year 12 because they weren't difficult

History - I read through the textbook, my notes & essays the night before each exam

Maths - I went through the syllabuses and made notes on each module at the start of study leave and then did past papers for the rest of study leave (so 4 weeks before)

I am very lazy and find it difficult to revise English and History, but I did well in them because I am good at writing essays, and have an excellent short term memory - if I read through a textbook, the facts will stay in my mind for the next 24 hours. Excellent for exams, terrible for long term learning.
    Haha thanks!! Need your memory lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by citibankrec)
    1. When did you start revising? Feb half term
    2. What grades did you achieve? A*AB
    3. What revision techniques did you use? writing notes and planning answers
    4. What revision method worked/did not work? flashcards- Took too long
    5. Roughly how much hours did you revise after school/weekends/holidays ? after school like 2 including homework. Over the weekend probs 5 overall.
    6. Were you happy about your grades. If so why/why not?? Happy with the A*A not with the B as i got an A last year
    Thanks!! your grades were very good!!!

ReputationRep:
    Wow excellent grades would u recommend starting revision now like light revision ??
    Go over anything you don't understand, but I wouldn't bother doing proper revision until revising for your mocks in December/January.
    I left my revision a bit late, so I'd recommend starting light revision in January/February next year and building it up from there, so you have lots of time to do past papers and don't have to worry about cramming like I did.
    Just be prepared for a decent step up for GCSE, lots of people in my school got cocky after getting good GCSE grades so crashed and burned this year. I didn't do all that well at GCSE so that gave me a bit of motivation to work hard just before exams.

ReputationRep:

1. There was no point that I began, the revision began on the first day and progressed in intensity throughout the year. This is partly because I had chemistry tests every 2 weeks so we had to recap constantly and do practice questions to get those grades.
    2. AAAA in biology, chemistry, psychology and economics
    3. Flash cards for psychology, past papers for bio and chem. For economics, I hated doing practice questions so I applied my knowledge to politics by watching general election debates and testing if they're words made sense economically (I recommend finding something different for any subject that you find especially hard or dislike.)
    4. All of these worked except that I wrote the flash cards too late. I would say to write them when you fully understand the exam technique but not too close to the exams.
    5. I dont revise in terms of hours but I would do a minimum of an hour and a half per day which includes hw (including free periods.) For the weekend I'm not sure but I got quite a lot of hw so that took a lot of time. My friend did 4 hours per day (one hour for each subject) and then more than that on the weekends but I would say this may be a little much because she barely slept.
    6. I will try my best not to sound like I am bragging but I am extremely happy with my grades. Chemistry was very shocking to me. Economics was also shocking because I got a solid A but revised MUCH less than for psychology in whcih is scraped an A by 1 mark. Still very pleased but it can be odd when the amount of revision and how you thought the exam went doesn't match up with you're result.

My advice is to remember that you are a person and you should not let your personal needs go away for the purpose of getting good grades. If there is something that you love to do (even it's spending an hour watching some guy cut a bee hive out of the walls of people's homes on YouTube,) make sure that you make time to do it because once you give those things up, studying loses all meaning. (Wow this got deep) So have fun, study hard and make yourself proud!
    😊😊😊

Wait, so I just realised that this is for people who finished theiir A levels but oh well, I'm in Year 13, this stuff still stands☺️☺️☺️☺️ ️☺️

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munchjin)
    1. There was no point that I began, the revision began on the first day and progressed in intensity throughout the year. This is partly because I had chemistry tests every 2 weeks so we had to recap constantly and do practice questions to get those grades.
    3. Flash cards for psychology, past papers for bio and chem. For economics, I hated doing practice questions so I applied my knowledge to politics by watching general election debates and testing if they're words made sense economically (I recommend finding something different for any subject that you find especially hard or dislike.)
    4. All of these worked except that I wrote the flash cards too late. I would say to write them when you fully understand the exam technique but not too close to the exams.
    5. I dont revise in terms of hours but I would do a minimum of an hour and a half per day which includes hw (including free periods.) For the weekend I'm not sure but I got quite a lot of hw so that took a lot of time. My friend did 4 hours per day (one hour for each subject) and then more than that on the weekends but I would say this may be a little much because she barely slept.
    6. I will try my best not to sound like I am bragging but I am extremely happy with my grades. Chemistry was very shocking to me. Economics was also shocking because I got a solid A but revised MUCH less than for psychology in whcih is scraped an A by 1 mark. Still very pleased but it can be odd when the amount of revision and how you thought the exam went doesn't match up with you're result.

My advice is to remember that you are a person and you should not let your personal needs go away for the purpose of getting good grades. If there is something that you love to do (even it's spending an hour watching some guy cut a bee hive out of the walls of people's homes on YouTube,) make sure that you make time to do it because once you give those things up, studying loses all meaning. (Wow this got deep) So have fun, study hard and make yourself proud!
    😊😊😊

Wait, so I just realised that this is for people who finished theiir A levels but oh well, I'm in Year 13, this stuff still stands☺️☺️☺️☺️ ️☺️
    I don't mind if ur in year13 thanks lol

ReputationRep:
    1. When did you start revising? Notes from Easter break, heavy revision from May
    2. What grades did you achieve? A*A*A*A*
    3. What revision techniques did you use? Made notes, then kept condensing them until very brief. Then wrote the notes down repeatedly until I remembered them.
    4. What revision method worked/did not work? Mind maps don't work for me, I find them really pointless (apart from using them as initial notes), I like lists instead.
    5. Roughly how much hours did you revise after school/weekends/holidays ? I actually didn't do that much in the holidays, Instead I just relaxed. I opted for the idea of staying in the same room for about 5/6 hours everyday from about 1-2 months before my exams.
    6. Were you happy about your grades. If so why/why not?? I was surprised, especially as I thought it was a bit unfair some of my friends worked harder than me but did much worse, Natural intellect factors in I guess (I'm not being cocky, I know there are people far far smarter than me).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munchjin)

😊😊😊

Hi,
    I am doing chemistry as well for Alevel, currently im in year 12. I just want to know whether the practicals will affect my overall grade for chemistry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoliticsandP)
    1. When did you start revising? Notes from Easter break, heavy revision from May
    2. What grades did you achieve? A*A*A*A*
    3. What revision techniques did you use? Made notes, then kept condensing them until very brief. Then wrote the notes down repeatedly until I remembered them.
    4. What revision method worked/did not work? Mind maps don't work for me, I find them really pointless (apart from using them as initial notes), I like lists instead.
    5. Roughly how much hours did you revise after school/weekends/holidays ? I actually didn't do that much in the holidays, Instead I just relaxed. I opted for the idea of staying in the same room for about 5/6 hours everyday from about 1-2 months before my exams.
    6. Were you happy about your grades. If so why/why not?? I was surprised, especially as I thought it was a bit unfair some of my friends worked harder than me but did much worse, Natural intellect factors in I guess (I'm not being cocky, I know there are people far far smarter than me).
    How did you re write your notes. Like did you write it in an note book/exercise book/pukka pad??? Do you recommend writing all your notes then re writing or writing notes for a topic then re write it topic by topic?? Thanks and excellent grades well done

ReputationRep:
    I've been doing my AS's for 2 weeks now, but haven't started proper revision because I need to buy the textbooks. The maths ones the school gave me are awful as always, ridden with spelling errors and poorly worded questions. I'll probably do exercises in the topics I learned at weekends every week in a personal notebook. Lessons go too quickly for me to make meaningful notes and make my writing somewhat neat.

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend you revise as you go along after you finish an entire topic. Do you know if you have end of unit tests? I revised for about a month or 2 before as exams and got an A* in my a-level maths, AAA in physics, chemistry and lit AS levels. In the run up to the exams, the best thing to do is past papers and writing notes for the things you have to learn by rote.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.