Do I stand a chance of getting any As at AS level? Watch

The RAR
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Be honest with me, I couldn't get a single A or A* at GCSE(And people say is easy to get at least an A for anyone at GCSE) and now that I am in year 12 I am literally very very scared that I am going to mess up my AS levels too no matter how much work I put into them or the fact that I will be using a different revision technique from GCSE, I think I am gonna get a BBC which is definitively not what I would like. I am taking Biology, Computing and Geography, no fourth subject.
gotaDinmyartmock
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes
Yazza-123
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
[QUOTE=The RAR;73684956]Be honest with me, I couldn't get a single A or A* at GCSE(And people say is easy to get at least an A for anyone at GCSE) and now that I am in year 12 I am literally very very scared that I am going to mess up my AS levels too no matter how much work I put into them or the fact that I will be using a different revision technique from GCSE, I think I am gonna get a BBC which is definitively not what I would like. I am taking Biology, Computing and Geography, no fourth subject.[/QUOTE

I got a couple of A's in my GSCE's and the rest B's, in my mocks at Christmas I got CCD and in my AS a couple weeks ago I got straight A's, a lot of it is just revising more, I barely did any for GSCE and thought I could do the same for A-level- this is not the case. If there is anything you don't understand, read over it and ask your teachers for help, you cant get good grades otherwise. I know it seems obvious but If there is anything to take from this, just revise as much as you can and understand everything on your courses before your AS exams come along; this will be beneficial for A2 as well.
Hope this helps
aimee1014
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Please don't worry!! I only got one A at GCSE; the rest of my grades were Bs and Cs. However, through hard work, I managed to achieve AAA in my AS levels. Granted, you're doing (in my opinion) much harder A levels than I'm doing, (I'm doing English lit, Film Studies and English Language), but you could get high grades too, if you work hard!!

Furthermore, if you initially believe that you're not gonna do very well, it's almost like a self fulfilling prophesy. If you believe you can achieve, it honestly really helps!! And you're obviously smart and good at those courses, or else you wouldn't have been accepted onto them!

Just establish an effective revision technique which works for you!! That's really important. And try to do that early on if possible. Also, try to keep on top of your subjects weekly; little and often is often very effective. BE CONFIDENT, you'll do really well!!

Good luck!!
aish30
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by The RAR)
Be honest with me, I couldn't get a single A or A* at GCSE(And people say is easy to get at least an A for anyone at GCSE) and now that I am in year 12 I am literally very very scared that I am going to mess up my AS levels too no matter how much work I put into them or the fact that I will be using a different revision technique from GCSE, I think I am gonna get a BBC which is definitively not what I would like. I am taking Biology, Computing and Geography, no fourth subject.
I'll be up front, Biology is a very hard subject because it's FULL of content that (to me) is rather boring and so requires a lot of memory techniques. Also the exam boards seem a bit messed up and you could write the right answer according to the text book, but the mark scheme would state it to be wrong. I recommend you search on google and youtube "how to get an A in biology a level" or something.

Anyways, I got 2 A's and 9 B's at GCSE. I got a B in maths... but first yr12 I got a C at AS Level maths. My peers who got As and A*s at maths got Ds, Es and Us.

At GCSE I was a very average person, and I saw revision as purely being based on memory. When it got to A level it changed, because A level is more holistic as a subject. It requires you to go really in depth into your own "thinking process" and opinions. I did better at A level than at GCSE because of my change in mindset and how much it required me to think.

There is more I could say (check out my other posts to other threads, i only have a few), but if you stop having a fixed mindset and start looking at your work pragmatically and revision and ultimately your UNDERSTANDING of the subjects, you really can pass!

It is not impossible to get three A's despite your GCSEs. I did. It just takes a new form of learning and life experience. This is not about doing academic subjects and storing more information in your brain like its a hard-drive. I teaches you organisation of your life, time management, how to systemise knowledge pragmatically, relating what you're learning to the real world. Ultimately the RESULTS you get is what your MINDSET will allow you to yield.

Talk to you teachers, they will know best why you might be going wrong in whatever subject that is.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (57)
23.75%
No (183)
76.25%

Watched Threads