A-Level Electronics Revision (Guide) Help

Watch this thread
Jeevs090909
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,

I have just started Year 12 and I am currently studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Electronics.

I have found well-written revision guides for Maths, Further Maths and Physics, but not Electronics.

I was hoping that you could recommend some informative revision guides for Electronics. I will be doing the WJEC Electronics A Level. I can not find any official A Level/ WJEC revision guides for Electronics.

My teacher provided the whole class with a list of 11 books that can help with the course, but I can only find two for sale on the Internet - both of which are used copies

This is the list:
- Electronics by J. Adams and R. Hutchings,
- Success in Electronics by Tom Duncan,
- Electronics for Today and Tomorrow by Tom Duncan,
- Electronics Explained (Blue Book) by M. W. Brimicombe,
- A Practical Introduction to Electronic Circuits by M. H. Jones,
- Analogue Electronics By John C. Morris,
- Applied Electronics by John C. Morris,
- Electronics: Practical Applications and Design by John C. Morris,
- Digital Electronics by John C. Morris,
- Telecommunications by John Allen, and
- Microprocessor Technology by J. S. Anderson.

The ones that I can find for sale on the internet are:
- Electronics Explained (Blue Book) by M. W. Brimicombe, and
- Electronics for Today and Tomorrow by Tom Duncan.

Also, I did a GCSE in Electronics and I still have the revision guide for the GCSE Electronics, but I looked at a specimen exam paper for the A-Level and there is LOADS of content which is not covered in the GCSE spec. Therefore, the GCSE Electronics revision guide isn't very helpful - I can just use it to refresh my memory, but not to revise the more advanced A Level content. Welp.

Hopefully, somebody can help me out. Thanks a lot!
Cryptokyo
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jeevs090909)
Hi,

I have just started Year 12 and I am currently studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Electronics.

I have found well-written revision guides for Maths, Further Maths and Physics, but not Electronics.

I was hoping that you could recommend some informative revision guides for Electronics. I will be doing the WJEC Electronics A Level. I can not find any official A Level/ WJEC revision guides for Electronics.

My teacher provided the whole class with a list of 11 books that can help with the course, but I can only find two for sale on the Internet - both of which are used copies

This is the list:

Also, I did a GCSE in Electronics and I still have the revision guide for the GCSE Electronics, but I looked at a specimen exam paper for the A-Level and there is LOADS of content which is not covered in the GCSE spec. Therefore, the GCSE Electronics revision guide isn't very helpful - I can just use it to refresh my memory, but not to revise the more advanced A Level content. Welp.

Hi .

I have just finished WJEC electronics A Level. You might not know about this but WJEC offer notes for all the topics for the 2009 specification (I assume you are doing the new 2017 one). A link to these can be found here (files under teacher guidance notes). By the looks of it, the should cover most of the topics on the new specification but not all as some topics have been changed, removed and added.

In my opinion these were the most useful resource as the content is nicely put into shorter segments and is much more exam-style in its wording. I was blessed to have been given Electronics Explained for a year but I will confess to have hardly ever reading it apart from some absurd circuits relating to coursework. The internet is also a great resource. There is a whole host of notes relating to electronics online and it is a bit hit and miss but all the information is there if you search for it! Ensure you make notes in the class and take care to pay attention because it matters way more when there is less support material unlike in maths and physics where you can just read a book later.

There are no revision guides because the number of people who sit the A level is very small compared to more mainstream subjects.

To summarise. I would certainly not recommend getting all 11 books but maybe get a couple more general ones (Electronics Explained, Success in Electronics etc.) to support the notes you take in class. The internet and WJEC notes are life savers when it comes to specific queries and just general info on a topic area.

Hope this helps
Cryptokyo
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
A link to Success in Electronics on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Success-Ele...VERNMH17MCH6D5
Jeevs090909
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Cryptokyo)
Hi .

I have just finished WJEC electronics A Level. You might not know about this but WJEC offer notes for all the topics for the 2009 specification (I assume you are doing the new 2017 one). A link to these can be found here (files under teacher guidance notes). By the looks of it, the should cover most of the topics on the new specification but not all as some topics have been changed, removed and added.

In my opinion these were the most useful resource as the content is nicely put into shorter segments and is much more exam-style in its wording. I was blessed to have been given Electronics Explained for a year but I will confess to have hardly ever reading it apart from some absurd circuits relating to coursework. The internet is also a great resource. There is a whole host of notes relating to electronics online and it is a bit hit and miss but all the information is there if you search for it! Ensure you make notes in the class and take care to pay attention because it matters way more when there is less support material unlike in maths and physics where you can just read a book later.

There are no revision guides because the number of people who sit the A level is very small compared to more mainstream subjects.

To summarise. I would certainly not recommend getting all 11 books but maybe get a couple more general ones (Electronics Explained, Success in Electronics etc.) to support the notes you take in class. The internet and WJEC notes are life savers when it comes to specific queries and just general info on a topic area.

Hope this helps
Thanks a lot!
zoe2002
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
im doing electronics as level this year as i am in WJEC and i dont know the revision guide
zoe2002
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Jeevs090909)
Hi,

This is the list:

how u finding electronics then
Jeevs090909
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by zoe2002)
im doing electronics as level this year as i am in WJEC and i dont know the revision guide
WJEC have made their own revision guide/ text book. It includes everything you need to know. My teacher prints it out into booklets for each topic and then each studenty gets a copy.

Here are links to the book.
AS: http://resources.wjec.co.uk/Pages/Re...aspx?rIid=2359
A-Level: http://resources.wjec.co.uk/Pages/Re...aspx?rIid=2741
JCTC
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I thought I was the only one on TSR doing A Level electronics 😅😅😅
zoe2002
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by JCTC)
I thought I was the only one on TSR doing A Level electronics 😅😅😅
omggg same lol 😂😂
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (59)
34.5%
The paper was reasonable (68)
39.77%
Not feeling great about that exam... (28)
16.37%
It was TERRIBLE (16)
9.36%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed