Economics or Law

Watch this thread
debruxelles
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I thought I had my mind set on Economics but after going to a Law Programme doing a degree in Law now looks really interesting, I can't decide out of the two. Which is better respected? Which would keep my options open? They both have pros and cons I can't really choose.
Ruby1997
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by debruxelles)
I thought I had my mind set on Economics but after going to a Law Programme doing a degree in Law now looks really interesting, I can't decide out of the two. Which is better respected? Which would keep my options open? They both have pros and cons I can't really choose.
They're both equally respected!

Nobody can make the decision for you on here, we don't know you! If you're really unsure and can't think of any career goals perhaps delay your UCAS application to think things through or get some experience / advice (you have till January!) or take a gap year to figure it out & get work experience?
addingishard
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
well you dont need economics for an economics degree and you don't need law for a law degree soo it's down to which one you prefer ultimately. Economics was fun for me, and has a lot of real world application & gives logical and evaluative thinking methods. Didn't do law so can't say much
debruxelles
Rep:
Thanks for the advice, to be honest I'm mostly set on doing economics, but I'm worried because I didn't do maths A Level that it will ruin my chances for being given a place at the universities I've chosen over someone who has maths.
HighOnGoofballs
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Thanks for the advice, to be honest I'm mostly set on doing economics, but I'm worried because I didn't do maths A Level that it will ruin my chances for being given a place at the universities I've chosen over someone who has maths.
uhh...if you didn't do Maths A level you will not stand a chance at getting a place at a good university, sorry.
debruxelles
Rep:
(Original post by HighOnGoofballs)
uhh...if you didn't do Maths A level you will not stand a chance at getting a place at a good university, sorry.
Even at the universities that don't ask for maths as a requirement?
HighOnGoofballs
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Even at the universities that don't ask for maths as a requirement?
What Universities might those be? Everyone University website that i've been on, has stated that Maths A (or maybe only AS) level is a requirement.
debruxelles
Rep:
Lancaster, Newcastle, Birmingham and Leicester?
NotKidding
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Most "good" universities will require Maths A-level for straight Econ at Uni. However, there will also be alternatives like Political Economy, Economic History and various management courses which won't require Maths.
addingishard
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
only the top 6 unis ask for maths for economics- Oxford cambridge LSE UCL Warwick and Imperial (maths with finance). Every other uni usually has a BSc course that requires maths and a BA that doesnt
Ellalaura99
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I don't think you need to worry about doing maths a level but I think it might put you at a disadvantage bc you'd be behind some other students in your classes. However, there's a reason a lot of unis don't require maths for an economics degree and I think a lot of people will be in the same situation as you. When I went to Birmingham, they said they really didn't need you to have a maths a level as long as you're willing to learn and put the effort in. I hope I helped, Good luck with your studies!
anonasian
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Well you can do an economics degree and then do a one year conversion to become a lawyer, but not the other way around.
Also if Economics was your long time plan, your probably put more thought into it and from what you’ve said Law for you seems to be just a last minute idea
Although I’m slightly biased bc I’m applying for economics!
Jigsaws mum
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
medicine
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (140)
66.35%
No (47)
22.27%
I didn't use it to prepare (24)
11.37%

Watched Threads