Mark61095
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am quite interested in a doing a Social Research Masters. I am currently working after just finishing my undergraduate degree in Sociology and Criminology. I got a high 1st in my dissertation and have asked to to write a piece to be put into a journal. I really enjoyed my dissertation and I want to do stuff similar in the future, however I am unsure if a Social Research Masters is worth doing? As in is it employable? If anyone has any words of wisdom let me know. Thanks
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
This sort of Masters is really intended as a prelude to a PhD - ie. to give you academic research skills.
Whilst some of this is obviously transferable to 'a job' it wont be framed like that.

What you need to do is 'work backwards' - look at the type of job you want, look at the job adverts and see what they want in terms of qualifications and experience, and see if the course you are intending to do is appropriate - ie. or are they wanting lots of experience not just another piece of paper?.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (720)
33.85%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (911)
42.83%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (403)
18.95%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.37%

Watched Threads