Alexthepenguin
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
just wondering whether say j'ai is counted as one word or two? coz that makes a lot of difference and otherwise my essay will be seriously over the word limit...
The West Wing
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well in England we tend to count each word where there is a space, so j'ai would be a single word; but according to some French posters on TSR they count j'ai as two words. I guess you'd have to ask your director of studies what your university's policy is.
Ferchichi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
OMG i didnt think of that
:|
i just use the word count on microsoft word, surely thats alright?
generalebriety
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Depends what you're talking about.

For A-level exams, certainly the policy is to count words as being separated by spaces. So j'ai is one word. (Exception is that "il y a", "il y aura", "il y avait", etc. only count as one word each. So "il va y avoir" is two words. Bizarre rule, but still...)
Ferchichi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
oh sheeeeeeesh kebabs
so technically speaking, i have to count my 1500word essay myself? Because wordcount isnt gonna know that il y a is one word :|
this is so ****
I dont have the attention span to READ OVER my essay, let alone count the number of words
CRAP
:cool: lol
dismal_laundry
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Just cut out a few sentences to be on the safe side...
Da Bachtopus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I know this isn't helpful in your case, but it's of anecdotal interest: the French don't seem to count words for computer-written essays, they measure everything in pages. As do the Italians, I gather. This confused me utterly, but apparently they all know a priori that they're talking about Times New Roman, 12 point, 1.5 spaced, or something, with default margins... Daft if you ask me. I'm more of a Palatino man.
dans
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
For GCSE and A level, j'ai would have counted as two words for my boards, OCR and EdExcel respectively, however at degree level, when I had this problem a few weeks back and asked one of my lecturers, she said that there was no official policy and recommended using the word default wordcount function. Hope this helps.
shakerbaby
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
generalebriety, that rule is surprising.. weird. i would have thought words like that in French would be the same as words like 'it's' and 'couldn't' in English.. one word? good job i don't have to word count my essays!
scaryhair
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by generalebriety)
Depends what you're talking about.

For A-level exams, certainly the policy is to count words as being separated by spaces. So j'ai is one word. (Exception is that "il y a", "il y aura", "il y avait", etc. only count as one word each. So "il va y avoir" is two words. Bizarre rule, but still...)
So how many words would "il n’y a guère" be?
generalebriety
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by scaryhair)
So how many words would "il n’y a guère" be?
I'd guess three.
Cunning Linguist
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I had to do an assessed piece of French work in 70 words (-+10%) so between 63 and 77. She specifically told us to be careful of word count and that things like "qu'on" and "j'ai" are two words.
james99
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
For all my assessments, things like j'ai and s'il count as one word. Much like how in English, words like can't and don't are also one word.
revisingallday
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So for gcse would i l ya be three words or one?
username2571271
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by revisingallday)
So for gcse would i l ya be three words or one?
I've always counted it as 3 tbh, never heard anything about it being just one word :dontknow:

For words like j'ai and qu'on, I always counted them as one word

Hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (88)
62.41%
No (53)
37.59%

Watched Threads