The Student Room Group

Important message to all medicine applicants ...

Scroll to see replies

Thank you very much, I am applying to medicine and everyone was talking about their crazily high GCSEs. I was also really worried about my A Levels. Thank you :smile:
Original post by CMCKOnline01
Thank you very much, I am applying to medicine and everyone was talking about their crazily high GCSEs. I was also really worried about my A Levels. Thank you :smile:

That's lovely to hear good luck :smile:
Original post by em_lj
I agree! I've had some amazing advice regarding my application (GANFYD is an absolute legend and awesome at advising people) but the amount of stuff I'm seeing said to other applicants which might not be necessarily true is unreal. So I agree with the OP, make sure you do your own research and take everything you get told on here with a pinch of salt, some people try and advise you when they aren't in a position to know!

What is ganfyd? can you explain it? I found a website of ganfyd but I don't understand what the website is about? Is there a link or something
Original post by Linalolo
What is ganfyd? can you explain it? I found a website of ganfyd but I don't understand what the website is about? Is there a link or something

GANFYD is a user on here
Original post by Linalolo

It's not a website, it's a user on here.
Anyone posting threads asking for readily available information should thank their lucky stars that TSR information isn't readily available to UCAS. There are only 30ish medical schools in the UK, so a couple of evenings MAXIMUM over the summer holidays are all you need to see if you will reach the grade requirements and that's providing you haven't been smart and just googled the document released by the Medical Schools Council.

If you can't put a little of your own effort into your application do you really have the self-motivation and research skills to carry yourself through an entire medical degree?

If you instantly believe someone telling you that you need 15 A* GCSEs to get into UCL have you really adequately developed your critical facilities?

If you've got a UKCAT of 800 and are on here asking if it's good enough for Barts A100 are your powers of self-affirmation good enough to deal with the **** you get on placement?

Obviously what you put on TSR is not fully representative of your personality and abilities, but the laziness of some questions here is astounding and I don't really want to work with the writers of those posts at med school.
Well said :smile:
Original post by Volibear
Exactly. I don't mean to be rude but this forum contains some of the most idiotic questions. Some things really are obscure and getting advice from people who have been through the process can be invaluable, but most things people ask can easily be found out via university websites or contacting admissions.

It's also quite annoying when people ask you to make comments on their personal statistics such as 'do you think that I'll get in with my (x) GCSEs and UKCAT score.' I've actually received PMs from other med applicants asking me to advise them when I'm an applicant myself. Everything I know is from the freely available things I've linked on my OP so Its really quite strange. :hand:
(edited 6 years ago)
Wasn't this one of the arguments for not getting rid of the downvotes on TSR - so that people could easily identify false information?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending