The Student Room Group

Cambridge or oxford medical school??

Which medical school is harder to get into? I looked at Cambridge's entry requirements, which are A* A* A while Oxford requires A* A A, but many people are saying Oxford is harder to get into? Is that true?
Oxford has a harsher deselection process, so you're less likely to get to interview (they decide interviews based on GCSEs and BMAT only I think). However, it would mean that if you got an interview, you're much more likely to get a place because you're then competing with less people.

Cambridge interview most of their applicants (80/90%?-not sure about the exact number through) and then decide based on interview, so I suppose if you can really perform well at interview it would be better because then you can stand out among all of the people they interview.
Original post by jameslondon141
Which medical school is harder to get into? I looked at Cambridge's entry requirements, which are A* A* A while Oxford requires A* A A, but many people are saying Oxford is harder to get into? Is that true?

Purely in terms of chance of getting in, its a difficult question as Cambridge has its number of applicants suppressed by UMS requirements etc. However, given the gap in applicants per offer is so vast (9.66 vs 4.58 last year), I have to conclude that on balance of probability, Oxford will be harder to get into. Postgraduate exam pass rates kind of back this up - Oxford does consistently a lot better than Cambridge - but that relies on data from people who started a long time ago.

It will, of course, depend on individual strengths and weaknesses. Without incredibly high GCSEs, for instance, Oxford is completely ruled out straight away.

In terms of other factors helping you decide, i will paste a reply i made in another thread:

- Cities - I'd suggest visiting both. Oxford's a more active city.
- Accommodation - more available at Cambridge - though most students at both can get accommodation for the first 3 years at least.
- Size - Oxford med school is half the size. There is only 4-8 medics per year at each college (whereas at cambridge it can be up to 25 or so)
- Transfers - at Oxford some students can go to London after 3 years (essentially any university you choose) although equally, some who may have wanted to stay at Oxford may have to go to London. At Cambridge you're there for all 6.
- 3rd year options are more limited at Oxford - theoretically at Cambridge you don't even have to do something medicine related, though this is becoming rarer.
- Cambridge has more focus on anatomy, including dissection rather than prosection. Oxford focuses on other aspects of medicine instead.
- Oxford gets much higher student satisfaction

Original post by ismaeelzia
However, it would mean that if you got an interview, you're much more likely to get a place because you're then competing with less people.

Actually, the number interviewed per place is fairly similar. The main reason Oxford have a harsh pre-interview process is that they have so many more applicants per place to begin with (9.66 vs 4.58).

Cambridge interview most of their applicants (80/90%?-not sure about the exact number through) and then decide based on interview, so I suppose if you can really perform well at interview it would be better because then you can stand out among all of the people they interview.

The uni as a whole interviews 75%. Medicine is likely slightly lower than this as it has slightly more applicants, though Cambridge do not release numbers. 70% is a reasonable guess, i would say.

Whilst Cambridge do interview more people, Oxford do more interviews per person over multiple days, so it is a more thorough assessment. So the question of where you should apply if you are good at interviews is not very clear.
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi guys I have come on this thread before but I didn't have all my stats then. I am really interested in Oxbridge for medicine because of the style of teaching and also because I will be taking the BMAT (failed UKCAT) Could someone please tell me which one I would have the higher chance of offer at from Oxford or Cambridge?

GCSE: A**, 9A*, 2A (+A* in ICT GCSE equivalent) - state school with 51% A*-C
AS: AAAA chem, bio, physics, maths with 251/300 UMS (I was ill for half my AS year but not sure if this would count as a extenuating as I attended college but with low attendance).
A level predictions: A*A*A*A* chem, bio, maths, EPQ

For Cambridge I think my Maths UMS is too low and for Oxford I have a low % A* (83%) but I come from a low performing state school?

Any opinions appreciated, Thanks
(edited 6 years ago)
No one knows because there are too many factors. If I were you, I'd apply to Oxford. You gotta do really well on your BMAT though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending