Ybsy75
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I noticed recently that Civil Service applications have changed from writing competency examples to writing a personal statement with a word limit of 1200 words or so. What is the difference? Do you still write competency examples?
tookitallin
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
One of the leading and forward thinking things about Civil Service applications is that it is all about competency examples. You can read more about it here: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ency-framework .But I am not sure where you have seen that they have changed this? This will never change, the civil service need people who can do the job and who have the attributes to be successful - one of the greatest ways of doing this is through competency examples.You will see a lot of companies switching to this method as we go into the future.Maybe you were looking at the fast stream or a graduate scheme or something? But I have never heard of writing a personal statement. Unless of course, that particular job you saw wanted you to write a personal statement which covered 6 or more competencies.
tookitallin
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ybsy75)
I noticed recently that Civil Service applications have changed from writing competency examples to writing a personal statement with a word limit of 1200 words or so. What is the difference? Do you still write competency examples?
Sorry, my previous message should have said maybe the personal statement had to cover competency examples for 5 competencies, as they are usually 250 words each. But I could not find my reply to edit it for some reason
Marfyy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I work in the civil service and I've applied for 8 jobs in the last couple of months and I have noticed this as well! 3 of those 8 have asked for a personal statement instead of the standard 4/5 250 word competency questions.
Captainusa
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes, I applied for three CS jobs recently. All involved 1200 word personnel statement. I used the STAR method to meet the competency examples they wanted from the advert inside the statement plus a bit about why I wanted to work there. That method got me 3 interviews.
5Five
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by tookitallin)
One of the leading and forward thinking things about Civil Service applications is that it is all about competency examples. You can read more about it here: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ency-framework .But I am not sure where you have seen that they have changed this? This will never change, the civil service need people who can do the job and who have the attributes to be successful - one of the greatest ways of doing this is through competency examples.You will see a lot of companies switching to this method as we go into the future.Maybe you were looking at the fast stream or a graduate scheme or something? But I have never heard of writing a personal statement. Unless of course, that particular job you saw wanted you to write a personal statement which covered 6 or more competencies.
This above link only showing how to write competencies but no information above 1200 words personal statement.Thanks
5Five
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Captainusa)
Yes, I applied for three CS jobs recently. All involved 1200 word personnel statement. I used the STAR method to meet the competency examples they wanted from the advert inside the statement plus a bit about why I wanted to work there. That method got me 3 interviews.

where can I get information about how to write this personal statement. is just like CV or explain why do I need this job etc.
jimmy90
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
At the moment CV and personal statements are being trialled and if it is
jimmy90
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A success, civil service resourcing are looking to move a away from competencies by early next year
19121F
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I looked at some civil jobs, and realised that they ask for CV, competency questions and they also ask for personal statement. I had originally thought that in the personal statement you would talk about your competencies and skills, but if you have already answered competency questions, then what is a personal statement needed for?
rebecca_:)
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m applying for the criminal investigator job and it says the word count is 1200 for the personal statement, but then in the text explaining what the personal statement is it says in no more that 250 words, but yet the word count is 1200. Some people will write over 250 words, as there is no stop to stay. How will they make it fair?

Personal statement is different. It’s a bit like a covering letter combined with a CV. No link to competencies.

I’m so glad. I hate competencies.
Aussiegirl34
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I am currently working for a government department as a temp. I am from Australia and they use the STAR method to answer the selection criteria questions in government departments as far as I know. Were you successful at gaining any of the roles you applied for? I haven’t found any online resources for doing a personal statement. I only found out last week, after applying for a role that I didn’t get, about writing a personal summary. I know how to do an application using the STAR method, not a personal statement. They need to give staff training in this area as the department is going through a restructure. If anyone can tell me where to find resources on how to do a personal summary, I would much appreciate it.
Kate2807
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Some departments in the Civil Service have changed their recruitment methods to include a personal statement - this new method is called success profiles. They basically want you to show how you are a good fit for the job and why you would be an asset to them/what you can offer.You still have to do a form of competencies, but they are now called
Kkuns
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
A Personal statement will usually need to cover your current or previous work experience relevant to the post you are applying for in more detail than what a CV would hold, also any outside work hobbies or interests that may be relevant to the role (IT interests or TA member eg). Then you need to demonstrate and give examples of your skills or experience that are mentioned as requirements or desirables in the job advert.Occasionally an advert wants you to use the personal statement to also write your success profiles examples (what we're competencies) usually as 250 words per success profile using the usual: Situation, Task, Action, Result (STAR) method so always be sure to read the whole job advert and any attachments fully to ensure any applications are complete and correct :-)
Joe1000000
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I'm completing a job application currently that asks for 7 competency examples (max 250 words per), an additional 5 subsitiles as part of the person specification (no limit), and a personal statement (1200 max). If we say each of the 5 personal specification sub titles also needs approximately 200 words that's around 4000 words, plus a basic CV.

All I can think is that they're trying to weed out applicants, as this seems entirely excessive to me for what is essentially a graduate starter level job.
Florida3050
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Yes. the competencies have been re branded as 'Behaviours'. So now both are required. Check out the guidance for ' Success profiles' on Google.
Homeoffice71
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I’m Just about to finish probation and about to apply for new roles. One is a 1250 word personal statement which should marry up to essential job criteria. Also shown on the job advert are 4 Behaviours I’d be assessed against. So In the 1250 word statement am I purely responding to the essential criteria or do I need to cover off the 4 Behaviours as well? Not sure
Chellebell
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Homeoffice71)
I’m Just about to finish probation and about to apply for new roles. One is a 1250 word personal statement which should marry up to essential job criteria. Also shown on the job advert are 4 Behaviours I’d be assessed against. So In the 1250 word statement am I purely responding to the essential criteria or do I need to cover off the 4 Behaviours as well? Not sure
Hi, I used the 4 behaviours and also tried to fit in the essential criteria. I did get invited to interview so it must have been ok. My dilema now is do I need totally different examples for the behaviours to talk about at the interview or can I use the same examples and maybe elaborate? Do the interviewers see your statement....if anyone knows this would be useful . Thanks.
Joe1000000
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Chellebell)
Hi, I used the 4 behaviours and also tried to fit in the essential criteria. I did get invited to interview so it must have been ok. My dilema now is do I need totally different examples for the behaviours to talk about at the interview or can I use the same examples and maybe elaborate? Do the interviewers see your statement....if anyone knows this would be useful . Thanks.
I can't speak for your specific circumstances, however they will likely have your application in front of them during the interview. You can use the same examples, but be aware that even if they are assessing the same behaviours they may ask them in different ways that mean you may wish to use different examples. Remember that you're allowed a second to think in interview, you don't have to immediately start talking.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why do you want to do a masters?

Great for my career (12)
38.71%
I really love the subject (10)
32.26%
I don't know what else to do (5)
16.13%
I can't get a job (1)
3.23%
My parents want me to (1)
3.23%