Damping of oil in a U-shaped tube

Watch this thread
SkyBlade16359
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Could someone help answer this question from the AQA A-level Year 2 Physics Oxford text book:
"State whether the damping in each of the following examples is light, critical or heavy:
ii. oil in a U-shaped tube displaced from equilibrium the released"
The book says that the answer is heavy however I do not understand why this is, oil has minimal friction so surely the damping would be light?
Physics Enemy
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SkyBlade16359)
A pendulum swinging through air, or even displaced water, is far less damped than a displaced region (of higher density) of oil.

Motion in oil is heavily resisted due to its high viscosity, so you could re-label 'friction' here.

Note there are 4 main types of friction: static, sliding, rolling, fluid. Resistance will do.
Eimmanuel
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SkyBlade16359)
Could someone help answer this question from the AQA A-level Year 2 Physics Oxford text book:
"State whether the damping in each of the following examples is light, critical or heavy:
ii. oil in a U-shaped tube displaced from equilibrium the released"
The book says that the answer is heavy however I do not understand why this is, oil has minimal friction so surely the damping would be light?

I suspect you are confused with something – oil can help to reduce friction between two solid surfaces but it does not flow smoothly which is a property known as viscosity.

https://physics.info/viscosity/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viscosity

If you compare the viscosity value for oil and water (from the above websites), you would realize that water has a much smaller value than that of oil

From your daily experience, you should be able to come to realize that oil tends to flow slower than water.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (67)
66.34%
No (26)
25.74%
I didn't use it to prepare (8)
7.92%

Watched Threads