Rob Mills
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am thinking of joining the police but I am not completely fixated on the idea. I find Criminology interesting - I take Sociology at A Level but think that Criminology and Psychology would be quite interesting. Although, I also enjoy Politics so I am currently deciding between Politics and Criminology (probably with psychology). So I am curious whether anyone on the Student Room has any experience or general opinions regarding Criminology and would be able to help me make my decision.
Thank you.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's a very niche academic area, but it is fairly well represented, up through to the very highest quality research institutions - LSE and Cambridge both have Criminology departments/research groups, and while they aren't the largest ones there, they do exist. Cambridge is actually introducing a Criminology specialization in their Human, Social, and Political Sciences course (which is also notable as you can study Psychology as an option in first year, and Politics and Sociology throughout, on that course).

However it's not necessary to study that in order to join the police - in fact no specific degree is required.
waqas_hussain98
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
It's a very niche academic area, but it is fairly well represented, up through to the very highest quality research institutions - LSE and Cambridge both have Criminology departments/research groups, and while they aren't the largest ones there, they do exist. Cambridge is actually introducing a Criminology specialization in their Human, Social, and Political Sciences course (which is also notable as you can study Psychology as an option in first year, and Politics and Sociology throughout, on that course).

However it's not necessary to study that in order to join the police - in fact no specific degree is required.
I'm pretty sure I read something on the news earlier this year about police officer having degrees. Yeah I was also interested in criminology and psychology as a degree but I was able to do law so I did that instead. otherwise I would have been happy on the Criminology and Psychology course
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by waqas_hussain98)
I'm pretty sure I read something on the news earlier this year about police officer having degrees. Yeah I was also interested in criminology and psychology as a degree but I was able to do law so I did that instead. otherwise I would have been happy on the Criminology and Psychology course
I meant degree subject. I'm fairly certain what you study isn't an issue, provided you have the tick box requirement of a degree in any subject fulfilled.

I also believe the degree requirement is some new piece of stupid legislation by our incompetent and failing government which will quickly be scrapped when they realise nobody wants to join the police while they're starving them of funding both for organisational initiatives as well as basic pay, and further limiting the small number who do by imposing an arbitrary requirement is just going to guarantee the complete collapse of domestic policing. So I wouldn't be too concerned on that front for OPs point of view anyway
waqas_hussain98
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
I meant degree subject. I'm fairly certain what you study isn't an issue, provided you have the tick box requirement of a degree in any subject fulfilled.

I also believe the degree requirement is some new piece of stupid legislation by our incompetent and failing government which will quickly be scrapped when they realise nobody wants to join the police while they're starving them of funding both for organisational initiatives as well as basic pay, and further limiting the small number who do by imposing an arbitrary requirement is just going to guarantee the complete collapse of domestic policing. So I wouldn't be too concerned on that front for OPs point of view anyway
I'm guessing you're not a fan of that 'stupid piece of legislation' or the current government
Alice.atlanta
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Rob Mills)
I am thinking of joining the police but I am not completely fixated on the idea. I find Criminology interesting - I take Sociology at A Level but think that Criminology and Psychology would be quite interesting. Although, I also enjoy Politics so I am currently deciding between Politics and Criminology (probably with psychology). So I am curious whether anyone on the Student Room has any experience or general opinions regarding Criminology and would be able to help me make my decision.
Thank you.
Hi there,
Have you considered doing a criminal psychology single honours degree? I'm a second year undergrad studying this at the University of Derby, and I love it! Crime Psych is only offered as a combined degree in its own right within 3 unis in the UK and is completely different to a joint honors degree with the two courses. The joint honours involves learning the two subjects completely separated where you would major in one course and minor in another. With a crime psych degree, you learn the two subjects integrated and relevant to the respective areas and topics, so you won't be learning about, for example, mathematical anxiety in psychology and thinking this is not what I wanted to study! I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about criminology ( the degree i started with then transferred to crim psych 2 weeks in!) and more about the criminal psychology degree. We also offer a policing degree here at Derby if that is the route you're thinking of!
If you are local or interested we have an open day on saturday 16th, and another in october if you are thinking about 18/19 entry.
Hope I helped a bit!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (189)
15.5%
Uncertainty around my education (199)
16.32%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (119)
9.76%
Isolating with family (85)
6.97%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (47)
3.86%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (105)
8.61%
Loneliness (118)
9.68%
Financial worries (52)
4.27%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (110)
9.02%
Exposure to negative news/social media (89)
7.3%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (106)
8.7%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed