The Student Room Group

Canadian universities with these grades?

My IGCSE grades:
Biology, Chemistry, Accounting: A
Mathematics, Physics: B
English as a First Language, Malay as a Foreign Language: A*
Business Studies: C

My AS grades:
Chemistry, Biology: B
Mathematics: A
Physics: E

My A2 grades:
Mathematics: C
I want to double major in Computer Science and Biology, if this info helps. I plan on applying to University of British Columbia, University of Alberta, University of Waterloo and some others which I'm not quite sure of yet. I know my grades aren't stellar, in fact quite bad. So I'm lost here.
UBC is the most competitive school that you've listed and here are the admission requirements: http://you.ubc.ca/applying-ubc/international-highschools-requirements/#united-kingdom

Computer science and biology fall under the Faculty of Science, so you need at least a C in AS math and you need chemistry and physics at GCSE level. You meet these requirements, but since a few grades are on the lower side, your overall average is going to be on the low side. If you write a good personal profile, it may help offset the lower average. Although, they say that they calculate the admission average based on at least 6 AS level courses and 2 GCSEs - you've only done 4 AS level courses?

The most competitive schools in Canada are UBC, U of Toronto, and McGill. The other ones you've listed are good schools and aren't that competitive, so it may be easier to get in to one of them.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
you ll most likely get in because internstional fees are so much higher and they want your money
Reply 3
international foundation years?
Check out the University of Toronto, I lived in Toronto, Canada for a dozen years, and people appreciate a graduate from UOT. It ranks 22nd in the world at the moment.
Original post by Nltdg
My IGCSE grades:
Biology, Chemistry, Accounting: A
Mathematics, Physics: B
English as a First Language, Malay as a Foreign Language: A*
Business Studies: C

My AS grades:
Mathematics: A
Physics: E

My A2 grades:
Mathematics: C
I want to double major in Computer Science and Biology, if this info helps. I plan on applying to University of British Columbia, University of Alberta, University of Waterloo and some others which I'm not quite sure of yet. I know my grades aren't stellar, in fact quite bad. So I'm lost here.

I would like to point out that contrary to what neuralegal said, University of Waterloo is the most competitive out of the unis you've mentioned so far. Note that Waterloo is one of the best unis for computer science; many people who studied here went on to work at companies such as Facebook, LinkedIn, Google, Microsoft, and many more.

While UBC may be a competitive school, it is not as great as Waterloo in Computer Science. I can't say the same for Biology for Waterloo though.

If you want a more international outlook, I would prefer going towards UBC, U of T, or McGill. Otherwise, I would highly recommend going to Waterloo, although I'm not sure if your grades might cut it as a competitive candidate.
Reply 6
Original post by neuralgal
UBC is the most competitive school that you've listed and here are the admission requirements: http://you.ubc.ca/applying-ubc/international-highschools-requirements/#united-kingdom

Computer science and biology fall under the Faculty of Science, so you need at least a C in AS math and you need chemistry and physics at GCSE level. You meet these requirements, but since a few grades are on the lower side, your overall average is going to be on the low side. If you write a good personal profile, it may help offset the lower average. Although, they say that they calculate the admission average based on at least 6 AS level courses and 2 GCSEs - you've only done 4 AS level courses?

The most competitive schools in Canada are UBC, U of Toronto, and McGill. The other ones you've listed are good schools and aren't that competitive, so it may be easier to get in to one of them.

The maximum number of AS courses I can take in my country is 4, so I only have 4 AS courses. Thank you by the way
Reply 7
Original post by HabibSyed
Check out the University of Toronto, I lived in Toronto, Canada for a dozen years, and people appreciate a graduate from UOT. It ranks 22nd in the world at the moment.

I am considering U of T, but it's also very competitive....
Reply 8
Original post by zero_gravity
I would like to point out that contrary to what neuralegal said, University of Waterloo is the most competitive out of the unis you've mentioned so far. Note that Waterloo is one of the best unis for computer science; many people who studied here went on to work at companies such as Facebook, LinkedIn, Google, Microsoft, and many more.

While UBC may be a competitive school, it is not as great as Waterloo in Computer Science. I can't say the same for Biology for Waterloo though.

If you want a more international outlook, I would prefer going towards UBC, U of T, or McGill. Otherwise, I would highly recommend going to Waterloo, although I'm not sure if your grades might cut it as a competitive candidate.

Oh, thank you for the insightful reply. Looks like I have to weigh that in as well.

Quick Reply

Latest