This Parliament won't last 5 years - When will we be heading to the Polls again, TM?

Watch
Tomm98
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Personally, I think that there will be an election called May/June 2019, just after we have actually left the EU. Whilst the current political situation is highly undesirable, with a limited mandate to push through key legislation, I am convinced that the Conservatives will wait until after Brexit has actually occurred before calling the inevitable. Another election during Brexit proceedings would be disruptive and destabilising to a process that is now binding, mitigating the chance of achieving the best possible outcome.

Discuss!
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Tomm98)
Personally, I think that there will be an election called May/June 2019, just after we have actually left the EU. Whilst the current political situation is highly undesirable, with a limited mandate to push through key legislation, I am convinced that the Conservatives will wait until after Brexit has actually occurred before calling the inevitable. Another election during Brexit proceedings would be disruptive and destabilising to a process that is now binding, mitigating the chance of achieving the best possible outcome.

Discuss!
Hi there!:hi:

I've popped your thread into this sub-forum. It might be a good idea to have a look around for the right area to start a thread in next time you do so, so that you get the replies you want.
Tomm98
Rep:
?
(Original post by 04MR17)
Hi there!:hi:

I've popped your thread into this sub-forum. It might be a good idea to have a look around for the right area to start a thread in next time you do so, so that you get the replies you want.
Ah, thanks! I just thought that everyone used the Chat section so that more people would see it!
JMR2021_
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hopefully JC will be in office by Christmas.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ah, thanks! I just thought that everyone used the Chat section so that more people would see it!
No. Because people like myself spend time moving threads that have better places to be.

Here you should receive replies from people who want to talk about this subject.
Tomm98
Rep:
?
(Original post by JMR2017)
Hopefully JC will be in office by Christmas.
I think that Christmas is too soon - if TM was going to call another election this year, it'll have been for October, or, at the very latest, November. Given the time and energy needed to campaign for an election, the announcement for such close election surely would have already occurred.
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Discuss!
Personally, I agree with you that the current Brexit situation is highly undesirable given Theresa May's failure to win a majority. They have a small majority in parliament, which makes it difficult to push through key legislation. Also the UK is currently viewed as a laughing stock as they can't even get the EU's chief negotiator, Michel Barnier, on board with Brexit negotiations, with him accusing the UK of backtracking on Brexit - "there's a problem of confidence here". It's even worse when you have Labour's Brexit secretary, Sir Keir Starmer, just last Thursday, forensically tearing down the draft EU Withdrawal Bill leaving the Tory benches looking rather uncomfortable and Theresa May even walked out. This bill is essentially the Tories in panic, they're trying to push through key legislation but the idea of converting EU law to UK law and then trying to avoid parliamentary scrutiny is absolutely absurd. My worry at the moment is whether the Tories will be able to secure a successful Brexit and whether the Opposition are capable of holding the Tories into account. Labour's position on Brexit has changed yet I can still see them flip-flopping and having internal arguments over Brexit policy.
AnimalJamRocks
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Even with another election, the conservatives are bound to win. The people who voted labour giving them more seats in parliament were mostly conservative supporters or from other parties. Theresa just had a weak campaign. This time the conservatives will really up their game as they know what could possibly happen. Conservatives will win back a few seats, most likely.
JMR2021_
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think that Christmas is too soon - if TM was going to call another election this year, it'll have been for October, or, at the very latest, November. Given the time and energy needed to campaign for an election, the announcement for such close election surely would have already occurred.
When do you think there will be an election then?
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My prediction: Theresa will be "the negotiator", then she will step aside for Boris who will be "the salesman".
Tomm98
Rep:
?
(Original post by JMR2017)
When do you think there will be an election then.
I think that one will occur very shortly after we have left the EU so that the next Government can have a fresh agenda that completely excludes the process of Brexit. At the minute, although the governement has a wide agenda, Brexit continues to remain at the forefront of it - and the headlines.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (145)
42.9%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (39)
11.54%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (28)
8.28%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (72)
21.3%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.06%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (20)
5.92%

Watched Threads