Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thank you all
C_Yap
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by isubhanmaz)
Alright so i attained 72 c1 76 c2 78 d1 in AS mathematics. overall b grade. does that mean i need to cross 480 ums total and avg 90% in a2 modules to achieve A* . thank you
You need 480 UMS total and avg 90% in c3 and c4
Mech17k
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
480 ums total, and 90% avg across c3 and c4.
Erdon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You need 80% average UMS over C1, C2, D1 and your other applied module (S1/M1 etc) and 90% average UMS over C3/C4 and if you include this year's marks you need 14 extra UMS over the three modules (so something like 90UMS 92UMS 92UMS would work ^-^ good luck!
isubhanmaz
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
wait so i cant get an A*. because i got a B at AS. btw im just double checking because lets say i get 95 c3 98c4 and 92m1 that means i got ? http://umstools.sourceforge.net/demo...tor&target=gce the reason im asking is becuase i used this tool and when i plug in the numbers for AS and a2 it says i didnt attain A* ..... PLS use my as levels ums and theoretical a2 results to show how to get A* ON AQA
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Erdon)
You need 80% average UMS over C1, C2, D1 and your other applied module (S1/M1 etc) and 90% average UMS over C3/C4 and if you include this year's marks you need 14 extra UMS over the three modules (so something like 90UMS 92UMS 92UMS would work ^-^ good luck!
That's incorrect. You do not need to average 80% in the AS units all that is required is:
  1. At least 480 UMS overall
  2. At least 180 UMS from C3 and C4.

The rules are here: https://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/...hs-information
memeeee
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Alright so i attained 72 c1 76 c2 78 d1 in AS mathematics. overall b grade. does that mean i need to cross 480 ums total and avg 90% in a2 modules to achieve A* . thank you
if you get 74 in S1/M1/whichever applied module you're taking next year, and your UMS in C3 and C4 add up to 180, you'll get an A*. ironic you're asking about this!
JaredzzC
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It honesty depends what exam board you are with.

I am with OCR MEI, and part of the criteria for getting an A* in Maths is getting an A at AS.

Even If I got 100UMS on all of my A2 modules, if I got a B at AS, then I still wouldn't qualify for an A*.

Edit: Just read that you are with AQA and this is what they say:

"A-level 6361 Mathematics and 6371 Further Mathematics Students gain A* in 6361 Mathematics if they meet these two requirements: 1. have a minimum of 480 uniform marks in total to gain grade A 2. achieve 90% (180) or more of the maximum uniform mark on the subtotal of units MPC3 + MPC4. "
http://store.aqa.org.uk/admin/result...GCE-A-STAR.PDF

So, as you have a total of 226 UMS at AS, you need a further 254UMS at A2.
You need a minimum of 90% average across C3 & C4, so assuming you get the minimum of 90UMS on C3 & C4, then you'd need 74UMS on your 3rd A2 modules.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JaredzzC)
This is not correct for domestic exam boards. The rules for AQA, Edexcel and OCR are common and explained, with the reference, in my earlier post.
isubhanmaz
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
there are too many answers , lets head towards a more easier route ideally having a scenario : so lets say these are my results

C1: 72
C2:76
D1:78
C3:96
C4:98
M1:95

515/600 - does those results attain an A* grade ?
JaredzzC
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Compost)
This is not correct for domestic exam boards. The rules for AQA, Edexcel and OCR are common and explained, with the reference, in my earlier post.
You're generalising here. OCR MEI is also a domestic exam board, albeit a charity subsidiary of OCR and their rules are different. Granted it was mentioned that in another post later on, but in OPs original post the exam board was not stated, thus, I stand by what I had originally said in response to his original post.
JaredzzC
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
there are too many answers , lets head towards a more easier route ideally having a scenario : so lets say these are my results

Simple answer, yes!

2 Questions you need to ask yourself.

1. Do I have atleast 480UMS overall?
2. Do I have an average of 90% over C3 and C4?

If the answer is yes to both those questions, as it is in the example you have given, then you will get an A*.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You're generalising here. OCR MEI is also a domestic exam board, albeit a charity subsidiary of OCR and their rules are different. Granted it was mentioned that in another post later on, but in OPs original post the exam board was not stated, thus, I stand by what I had originally said in response to his original post.
I'm not generalising, I am stating the rules that also apply to OCR MEI., YOu have your facts wrong.
4aceman
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

hypothetically yes, but you're not magically going to be better at A2 than AS, especially when the course is only going to become harder. If you got only a B at as, you have to really ask yourself if you're capable of getting over 90UMS at C4 and C3, when on C1 (imo easiest module) you only scored 72.
I'm not saying you cant, just be realistic
memeeee
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I am with OCR MEI, and part of the criteria for getting an A* in Maths is getting an A at AS.

Even If I got 100UMS on all of my A2 modules, if I got a B at AS, then I still wouldn't qualify for an A*.

Edit: Just read that you are with AQA and this is what they say:

"A-level 6361 Mathematics and 6371 Further Mathematics Students gain A* in 6361 Mathematics if they meet these two requirements: 1. have a minimum of 480 uniform marks in total to gain grade A 2. achieve 90% (180) or more of the maximum uniform mark on the subtotal of units MPC3 + MPC4. "
http://store.aqa.org.uk/admin/result...GCE-A-STAR.PDF

So, as you have a total of 226 UMS at AS, you need a further 254UMS at A2.
You need a minimum of 90% average across C3 & C4, so assuming you get the minimum of 90UMS on C3 & C4, then you'd need 74UMS on your 3rd A2 modules.
this is wrong for OCR MEI?
JaredzzC
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oh, seems I may be completely wrong then and have been a bit bullish with my answers. My apologies.
Must have misinformed myself or something. A bit embarrassing considering I did OCR MEI for my A-level, lol. I just added to the confusion.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oh, seems I may be completely wrong then and have been a bit bullish with my answers. My apologies.
Must have misinformed myself or something. A bit embarrassing considering I did OCR MEI for my A-level, lol. I just added to the confusion.
Thanks for checking and owning up - misinformation about the rules for getting an A* have always been rife and I'm always shocked by the number of teachers who give out the wrong information, thus spreading confusion.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (5)
8.93%
I need help researching courses (5)
8.93%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.36%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
42.86%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (14)
25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.57%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.36%

Watched Threads