Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by GreenTeeKid)
Great Idea! Thanks for tagging me
I'm in Year 12 and doing English

Literature (AQA).
The texts I'm doing are The Importance of Being Earnest, The Taming of the Shrew, Emma, The Kite Runner, The Handmaiden's Tale and Songs of Innocence and Songs of Experience.

I absolutely love analysing Literature so I can't wait for lessons to truly begin!
Oooh lucky you - I really want to study William Blake, but we have to do Carol Ann Duffy for AS. Philip Larkin next year though, which I'm definitely looking forward to.
Chelsea A
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Year 13
English Language
AQA

Mainly the investigation study and coursework but also loving the CLA (Child Language Acquisition) topic we are learning atm.

I love studying how Language is used and can be interpreted in so many different ways.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
username2912930
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m in year 12 doing AQA English Lit A. I’m doing The Great Gatsby, Othello and not sure about the rest.
aaronramirez
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey everyone!

I am so glad that there is an OCR English Lit thread!

For drama and poetry pre - 1900 I'm doing
1. Hamlet
2. The Merchant's Tale & An Ideal Husband

And for comparative and contextual study :
1. Gothic critical appreciation
2. Dracula, The Bloody Chamber and a bit of Frankenstein

I think the best thing to do is to read around the subjects and know both Hamlet (or the other drama you're doing for exam 1) and the Gothic (or the other topic you're doing for exam 2) REALLY well.

Also, what questions do you think will come up for the Gothic this year? Role of men, metamorphosis? And what about for Hamlet?

I wish you guys all the best luck in your exams
Quirky Object
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by aaronramirez)
Hey everyone!

I am so glad that there is an OCR English Lit thread!

1. Hamlet

I think the best thing to do is to read around the subjects and know both Hamlet (or the other drama you're doing for exam 1) and the Gothic (or the other topic you're doing for exam 2) REALLY well.

Also, what questions do you think will come up for the Gothic this year? Role of men, metamorphosis? And what about for Hamlet?

I wish you guys all the best luck in your exams
Just quoting you in to let you know I moved your post

I'm with Edexcel so I can't help with the predictions, but good luck to you too!
etothepiiplusone
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by aaronramirez)
1. Hamlet

WOW :gasp:

We are doing exactly the same texts! Are you year 12 or 13 (I'm 12) and what do you think of the texts?
Samimiah00
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am in year 12 (retaking)
I'm doing English Language and Literature , AQA
I'm studying The Handmaids Tale, Paris Anthology and Carol Ann Duffy for poems , i really want an A this year, so any help would be appreciated
beccabokka
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi guys, in case anyone wants any help, I got an A* last year in the Edexcel A-Level, with full marks in poetry and 59/60 in my coursework, as well as high A* marks in the other sections (although not quite as high). I have a fair few full mark essays from throughout the year as well, across all sections. If anyone wants any help with the Great Gatsby, Great Expectations (coursework texts of choice), The Little Stranger, The Picture of Dorian Gray, Othello, A Streetcar Named Desire, Donne’s Poetry or the Poems of the Decade collection, please let me know! Otherwise, I can help with technique names or essay writing. Feel free to quote me or drop a message! (I’m trying to kill time!)
chloehughes.xo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi my name is Chloe and I am in Year 13, I study English Literature with AQA, my texts include; Othello, The Rotter's Club, The Great Gatsby, Importance of Being Earnest, Streetcar Named Desire, The Handmaid's Tale, the poetry anthology, and Feminine Gospels.
I enjoy gaining new perspectives on a variety of different texts, and I am excited to continue my English studies by doing a Literature and Drama joint degree at university.

saniyam
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello there!

I am in Year 12 and am studying English literature (OCR); The Bloody Chamber, Beloved, poems by Christina Rossetti, Twelfth Night, and A Doll’s House.

I’m really enjoying the course so far (however the essays have already killed me) and I’m quite excited for the coursework, as there are so many novels I’d love to use!
Beccajane2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey,

I'm doing year 13 English Literature. Exam board is Edexcel. Set texts Handmaid's Tale, Frankenstine, Streetcar, King Lear, Poems of the decade, John keats poems, course work - The Kite Runner and Pride and Prejudice.

Writing my English and philosophy personal statement at the moment for university
bloodygoth
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by beccabokka)
Hi guys, in case anyone wants any help, I got an A* last year in the Edexcel A-Level, with full marks in poetry and 59/60 in my coursework, as well as high A* marks in the other sections (although not quite as high). I have a fair few full mark essays from throughout the year as well, across all sections. If anyone wants any help with the Great Gatsby, Great Expectations (coursework texts of choice), The Little Stranger, The Picture of Dorian Gray, Othello, A Streetcar Named Desire, Donne’s Poetry or the Poems of the Decade collection, please let me know! Otherwise, I can help with technique names or essay writing. Feel free to quote me or drop a message! (I’m trying to kill time!)
I'm in year 13 and I really would love to get an A* at the end of this year. I did well last year but I was a bit of a mess as I basically did no work whatsoever. So I can't really take advice from myself as my grade was out of pure luck.

The only text that I have in common with you is Street Car. However I would love general advice on what to do throughout the year.

My exam board is OCR and the other texts we are studying are Frankenstein, Bloody Chamber, Duchess of Malfi, Rossetti's poetry and Hamlet.
xx1t35
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just finished doing my A levels for English and it was my best subject, my teachers said I was really talented at it but unfortunately just scraped an A by one mark when I was hoping and expecting an A*! I got nearly full marks in my mocks so was a true let down. English literature is VERY subjective. If the examiner doesn't understand your point or doesn't think its impressive, you won't get a good mark. I think the way they mark English is very silly. English and writing and poetry and novels are art and they shouldn't be confined to AO1, AO2, AO3 marks (even though I felt like I did all this well). I feel very cheated out by my A level and would not recommend taking it to A level unless you are one of them people who read off textbooks cause thats all exams are these days....
z_o_e
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by saniyam)
Hello there!

I am in Year 12 and am studying English literature (OCR); The Bloody Chamber, Beloved, poems by Christina Rossetti, Twelfth Night, and A Doll’s House.

I’m really enjoying the course so far (however the essays have already killed me) and I’m quite excited for the coursework, as there are so many novels I’d love to use!
Im doing the same exam board and im doing Christina Rossetti and the Bloody Chamber too!!
Not sure about the rest!
saniyam
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by z_o_e)
Im doing the same exam board and im doing Christina Rossetti and the Bloody Chamber too!!
Not sure about the rest!
Ayyyyyee it’s nice to know that I’m not alone in this
z_o_e
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by saniyam)
Ayyyyyee it’s nice to know that I’m not alone in this
Yess!! We could work together through this!!!
Do PM me on how youre getting on xx
FloralHybrid
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello! Year 13, who's just picked up English Lit and is self studying it (alongside 3 A2's...)
AQA
And:
- The Handmaids Tale
- The Winter's Tale
- Wuthering Heights
- Translations (play)
- Poetry is unseen, and an anthology that I've not yet got.

Exams in June 2018. ☺️

(I also study Frankenstein, Love of a nightingale and Earthquakes in London for drama if that's of any use to anyone)
TheAlchemistress
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sonechka)
Just realised I haven't answered the questions myself :lol:
- Year 12
- English literature
- Edexcel
- The Handmaid's Tale, Frankenstein, Othello, A Streetcar Named Desire, Poetry of the Decade (various writers) and I'll be doing some poetry by John Donne next year.
- I'm looking forward to being able to add in some context, after all those years of abstract GCSE lit crit! I also really like my set texts.
(Original post by Vanessasworld)
Thanks for the tag!
Year 13 doing English Lit edexcel
- A streetcar named desire
- Hamlet
- Wuthering heights and mrs dalloway
- John keats poetry
I'm acc looking forward for my coursework as we chose our own texts
(Original post by beanzz)
Thanks for tagging me (: Year 12, English Lit Edexcel
The texts we're doing are: Tess of the D'Urbervilles; Wuthering Heights; Poems of the Decade; A Streetcar Named Desire
+ I just really like critical analysis of texts and writing essays.

Are you guyes studing Dr.Faustus?
TheAlchemistress
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by xx1t35)
Just finished doing my A levels for English and it was my best subject, my teachers said I was really talented at it but unfortunately just scraped an A by one mark when I was hoping and expecting an A*! I got nearly full marks in my mocks so was a true let down. English literature is VERY subjective. If the examiner doesn't understand your point or doesn't think its impressive, you won't get a good mark. I think the way they mark English is very silly. English and writing and poetry and novels are art and they shouldn't be confined to AO1, AO2, AO3 marks (even though I felt like I did all this well). I feel very cheated out by my A level and would not recommend taking it to A level unless you are one of them people who read off textbooks cause thats all exams are these days....
Did you study Dr.Faustus?
vanessa-gouveia
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Hi everyone!
I am in Year 13 and study English Literature with the AQA exam board.
The texts (for y12 and 13) are:
-The Great Gatsby
-Othello
-The Color Purple
-A Streetcar Named Desire
-Feminine Gospels
And for our coursework we have a selection of two texts from the following:
-The Homecoming
-Purple Hibiscus
-A Doll's House
-The Importance of Being Earnest

I really enjoyed learning about the different time periods within Literature! And I am looking forward to the coursework as the list the choose from is great!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (388)
25.99%
The paper was reasonable (644)
43.13%
Not feeling great about that exam (298)
19.96%
It was TERRIBLE (163)
10.92%

Watched Threads