KoalaBeeaar
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I love French - more specifically the language, the society & the culture. I am currently in year 13 doing French A Level, and have been interested in studying French in university for some time now. After doing research on the modules universities offer for the course French BA, they tend to have modules on politics, history, literature which don't interest me and I feel like I won't enjoy it and most of the optional modules are around these subjects. I'm confused as to what to do, because I want to make sure I choose a course that I will be intrigued in doing, and other than French there's nothing else.
moquacious
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi, I'm just about to start a degree in French and Spanish. Just as you've said, most language degrees tend to focus on social and cultural aspects of the relevant country. Even if this isn't your kind of thing, it's kind of vital to studying a language. Personally, I think studying a language is more about just vocabulary and grammar. You need to know about the culture and society to properly understand how the language has changed and how it's used etc. However, a lot of universities offer a language with linguistics, which may interest you more. I don't know if you can avoid the more cultural aspect, but it's definitely worthwhile! I could be wrong, but I think the language degrees offered by Heriot Watt university in Edinburgh focus more on the technical aspects of languages, so you could look into that. Also, many universities offer language degrees which focus heavily on interpretation and translation - maybe that's more what you're looking for? Check out Newcastle University, they definitely offer a modern language degree with translation studies. Hope this helps!
KoalaBeeaar
Rep:
?
(Original post by moquacious)
Hi, I'm just about to start a degree in French and Spanish. Just as you've said, most language degrees tend to focus on social and cultural aspects of the relevant country. Even if this isn't your kind of thing, it's kind of vital to studying a language. Personally, I think studying a language is more about just vocabulary and grammar. You need to know about the culture and society to properly understand how the language has changed and how it's used etc. However, a lot of universities offer a language with linguistics, which may interest you more. I don't know if you can avoid the more cultural aspect, but it's definitely worthwhile! I could be wrong, but I think the language degrees offered by Heriot Watt university in Edinburgh focus more on the technical aspects of languages, so you could look into that. Also, many universities offer language degrees which focus heavily on interpretation and translation - maybe that's more what you're looking for? Check out Newcastle University, they definitely offer a modern language degree with translation studies. Hope this helps!
Thank you! This helped a lot, good luck with your degree c:
No_Longer_In_Use
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by KoalaBeeaar)
Thank you! This helped a lot, good luck with your degree c:
Hi KoalaBeeaar,

I hope you don't mind us sliding into the conversation to offer some more info on Heriot-Watt in Edinburgh. Pleased to hear that you're interested in studying French at university - it's a hugely rewarding and interesting route to go down with great career prospects!

We offer a few different language degrees with slightly different areas of focus. One is strongly focused on developing Interpreting (spoken) and translating (written) skills from a beginners level to a professional standard. In this degree you study two foreign languages but you can 'fast track' one of your languages in first year to get it up to scratch, so you could do French and Spanish or German too.

https://www.hw.ac.uk/study/uk/underg...ch-spanish.htm

We also offer French and Applied Language Studies which allows you to major in French whilst studying lots of other subjects like business, marketing, cultural studies, psychology or interpreting and translating. This one might be best suited to you if you wanted to only do French as a language!

https://www.hw.ac.uk/study/uk/underg...ge-studies.htm

On both of these degrees you would get to spend third year in France, immersed in the language and culture!

Best of luck in your uni research, if you're interested we are holding open days on Saturday 30 September and Friday 27 October. Come and see our language labs (similar to those used by the EU parliament and the biggest in Europe!!)

https://www.hw.ac.uk/uk/meet-us/edin...s-open-day.htm

Thanks a bunch!

Daniel

Admissions,
School of Social Sciences
Heriot-Watt University
KoalaBeeaar
Rep:
?
(Original post by Heriot Watt University)
Hi KoalaBeeaar,

I hope you don't mind us sliding into the conversation to offer some more info on Heriot-Watt in Edinburgh. Pleased to hear that you're interested in studying French at university - it's a hugely rewarding and interesting route to go down with great career prospects!

We offer a few different language degrees with slightly different areas of focus. One is strongly focused on developing Interpreting (spoken) and translating (written) skills from a beginners level to a professional standard. In this degree you study two foreign languages but you can 'fast track' one of your languages in first year to get it up to scratch, so you could do French and Spanish or German too.

https://www.hw.ac.uk/study/uk/underg...ch-spanish.htm

We also offer French and Applied Language Studies which allows you to major in French whilst studying lots of other subjects like business, marketing, cultural studies, psychology or interpreting and translating. This one might be best suited to you if you wanted to only do French as a language!

https://www.hw.ac.uk/study/uk/underg...ge-studies.htm

On both of these degrees you would get to spend third year in France, immersed in the language and culture!

Best of luck in your uni research, if you're interested we are holding open days on Saturday 30 September and Friday 27 October. Come and see our language labs (similar to those used by the EU parliament and the biggest in Europe!!)

https://www.hw.ac.uk/uk/meet-us/edin...s-open-day.htm

Thanks a bunch!

Daniel

Admissions,
School of Social Sciences
Heriot-Watt University

Thank you for reaching out, this is super useful the modules are more towards what I was looking for! I'll definitely look into it.
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by KoalaBeeaar)
I love French - more specifically the language, the society & the culture. I am currently in year 13 doing French A Level, and have been interested in studying French in university for some time now. After doing research on the modules universities offer for the course French BA, they tend to have modules on politics, history, literature which don't interest me and I feel like I won't enjoy it and most of the optional modules are around these subjects. I'm confused as to what to do, because I want to make sure I choose a course that I will be intrigued in doing, and other than French there's nothing else.
I'm a bit confused, how can you love French society and culture but not want to study French politics, history and literature? They are society and culture. Apart from the language learning aspect, what do you want to study / learn about? What would be your ideal degree?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (138)
61.88%
No I haven't decided yet (49)
21.97%
Yes but I might change my mind (36)
16.14%

Watched Threads