The Student Room Group

Sixth form won't let me study my subjects

So my sixth form said it offers Further maths on the open day, on results day I also told them I would like to study Further Maths and they agreed. Now, 1 week in they're telling me I can't study it due to a lack of student choosing Further maths, me being the only student choosing to study Further Maths, it's not because I don't meet the subject requirements, I achieved a grade 8 in maths and that's exactly what I needed to study Further Maths. Now I can't apply to any other sixth forms since the deadline is long gone. My sixth form advertised Further Maths yet they don't offer it. Isn't this a violation of the Trade Description Act? It's a false indication of the services supplied.
Self study is viable for FM.

It could be a violation of some act, but realistically you have no damages so any legal reprecussions are going to be you to reporting them to an authority...cancelling a course due to a lack of interest is sadly rather common so I doubt much would come of this.

I recommend you just get on with it in your own time.
I'm pretty sure other sixth forms would let you in, just give them a call and tell them your situation.

I had people joining our sixth form in the middle of the year
Reply 3
Original post by Trivial Student
So my sixth form said it offers Further maths on the open day, on results day I also told them I would like to study Further Maths and they agreed. Now, 1 week in they're telling me I can't study it due to a lack of student choosing Further maths, me being the only student choosing to study Further Maths, it's not because I don't meet the subject requirements, I achieved a grade 8 in maths and that's exactly what I needed to study Further Maths. Now I can't apply to any other sixth forms since the deadline is long gone. My sixth form advertised Further Maths yet they don't offer it. Isn't this a violation of the Trade Description Act? It's a false indication of the services supplied.

move to another sixth form
I don't think the Trade Description Act applies to schools. It's quite normal that a school would drop an option due to insufficient student numbers, though normally I would expect them to have sorted this out before the start of term, so as to allow you to go elsewhere if you wanted to study it.

There is a lot of support available though for students at centres that don't offer further maths, to enable them to study it in their own time. If the maths department are reasonably pleasant about it they might be willing to support you through self-study.
Are any other schools in your area offering further maths? In my school, certain subjects weren't offered as there was lack of people so the course was run in a different school.

I bet if you look at the terms hen it will say something like courses are only run if they get the appropriate numbers of pupils to make it viable. It would not be economically viable.

You can make a complaint.
Make enquiries for other schools.
Self teach.
Ask if you can do it all on one year next year.

Good luck if you try and sue them.
Original post by Hydrogen-7
but realistically you have no damages

There are damages, due to the late notice, hardly any sixth form will accept me. It would've been helpful if they at least told me on results day so that I could've enrolled myself elsewhere.

If no other sixth form accepts me I guess I'll just have to self teach further maths...
Original post by cmurphy21
Are any other schools in your area offering further maths? In my school, certain subjects weren't offered as there was lack of people so the course was run in a different school.

So you attend two sixth forms for different lessons? Wouldn't it be quite difficult? Let's suppose you have maths at your sixth form then you have further maths immediately after in another sixth form. The closest other sixth form is about 40 minutes away from my current sixth form, so by the time I arrive at the next sixth form, I'd miss most of the lesson.
So you attend two sixth forms for different lessons? Wouldn't it be quite difficult? Let's suppose you have maths at your sixth form then you have further maths immediately after in another sixth form. The closest other sixth form is about 40 minutes away from my current sixth form, so by the time I arrive at the next sixth form, I'd miss most of the lesson.

In my local area, there's my school and two others within 20-30 minutes of each other so the local education department set up a consortium so students from the three sixth forms could travel to other schools to study subjects that weren't offered at their home school. For example, I wasn't able to take English Lit at my home school so I have to go to a host school for that subject.
Original post by 999tigger
I bet if you look at the terms hen it will say something like courses are only run if they get the appropriate numbers of pupils to make it viable. It would not be economically viable.

You can make a complaint.
Make enquiries for other schools.
Self teach.
Ask if you can do it all on one year next year.

Good luck if you try and sue them.

There were no Terms and conditions. I just told a teacher on results day that I want to study Further Maths and that was it.
Original post by cmurphy21
In my local area, there's my school and two others within 20-30 minutes of each other so the local education department set up a consortium so students from the three sixth forms could travel to other schools to study subjects that weren't offered at their home school. For example, I wasn't able to take English Lit at my home school so I have to go to a host school for that subject.

Did they take into account time taken to commute? So that you wouldn't miss parts of you lesson.
They wouldn't have known that there was only one person going to do FM until the first day back. They're not going to run a course for one person in Year 12.
Did they take into account time taken to commute? So that you wouldn't miss parts of you lesson.

The buses take us to and from the lessons before registration for first and second then break time for third and fourth so we're brought back during lunch.
There were no Terms and conditions. I just told a teacher on results day that I want to study Further Maths and that was it.

Schools always have rules and regulations relating to being a member of the school. Thats the clause I would put in if writing them.

If you have a grievance then get your parents to talk to the head and if not happy make a formal complaint. It can go to the governors.
Original post by Joe1000000
They wouldn't have known that there was only one person going to do FM until the first day back. They're not going to run a course for one person in Year 12.

They did ask applicants what A levels they would like to study back in December, so they did have a rough estimate of how many people were going to so further maths. And besides, last year's Further Maths class has like 2 or 3 people.
They did ask applicants what A levels they would like to study back in December, so they did have a rough estimate of how many people were going to so further maths. And besides, last year's Further Maths class has like 2 or 3 people.

Up until enrollment they didn't know for sure though.
Original post by Joe1000000
Up until enrollment they didn't know for sure though.

I mean, they should've at least mentioned it somewhere that there needs to be a certain number of people to study this course. All they said in their open day was that a grade 8 is required. Further Maths is also a required A level for the course(s) I wish to study at university so their decision is going to change the rest of my life.

Quick Reply

Latest