Would Southampton university accept my application?

Watch
Johny12345
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I achieved BDEE in Business, Sociology, Maths and History. I have dropped History and my predicted grades are ABD for Business, Sociology and Maths. For sociology we switched from OCR to AQA, so that is why my predicted grade for soicology is significantly higher.

My question is would Southampton university accept me for the Accounting and Finance course, and would it be worth applying. The course requirements are AAB-ABB.
citibankrec
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Johny12345)
I achieved BDEE in Business, Sociology, Maths and History. I have dropped History and my predicted grades are ABD for Business, Sociology and Maths. For sociology we switched from OCR to AQA, so that is why my predicted grade for soicology is significantly higher.

My question is would Southampton university accept me for the Accounting and Finance course, and would it be worth applying. The course requirements are AAB-ABB.
Shouldn't that make the predicted grade lower.

Southampton will probs still give you an offer.
Its making the offer which is the hard bit.
username2911200
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Obviously not, you're 3 grades off AAB (the ABB will usually be for a comtextaul offer, where the applicant goes to a diabolical school). Southampton is a very competitive university, they're not going to give you an offer with those predictions. Being predicted a D in maths, the most related subject to the degree, is not doing you any favours either.
Johny12345
Rep:
?
(Original post by Glassapple)
Obviously not, you're 3 grades off AAB (the ABB will usually be for a comtextaul offer, where the applicant goes to a diabolical school). Southampton is a very competitive university, they're not going to give you an offer with those predictions. Being predicted a D in maths, the most related subject to the degree, is not doing you any favours either.
I got a U in D1 so it lowered my grade, but if I'm honest i was not motivated last year and I had no clue what I wanted to do. I think I can achieve that A in business and the AQA exam board is much easier also I think I will get a B or C in maths
Johny12345
Rep:
?
(Original post by citibankrec)
Shouldn't that make the predicted grade lower.

Southampton will probs still give you an offer.
Its making the offer which is the hard bit.
OCR is a harder exam board than AQA and also the AS exam was not nice
citibankrec
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No, they're the same.
username2911200
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No it isn't, if that were true then every school would use AQA and OCR would go out of business... Apply if you want, you're not going to get an offer from a Russell Group university when you're predicted a D in a key subject and falling well below the standard offer overall.
Johny12345
Rep:
?
(Original post by Glassapple)
No it isn't, if that were true then every school would use AQA and OCR would go out of business... Apply if you want, you're not going to get an offer from a Russell Group university when you're predicted a D in a key subject and falling well below the standard offer overall.
Fairs, I'm just going to have to improve my grades and apply next year
qam
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
aint anyone seen a hard exam board till you see MEI
JTBOD
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I would most likely say no...
UoS is very selective about who they accept, and as they're part of the Russell Group - they like to maintain a certain standard in the entry requirements of their prospective students! Typically, UoS is unlikely to offer you a conditional offer if your predicted grades are more than 2 grades lower than in any one of your predicted grades, although saying this if they have the availability on the course you're applying for after they have accepted all their other applicants then you could always opt to go through clearing.

PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

You get 5 choices. If you think you can exceed your predictions and get ABB/AAC then it’s fine as one of your choices.
70% of applicants get an offer and average entry grades are BBB https://university.which.co.uk/unive...0-n400-A23-B22 so you’re not wasting your time.

Just work your arse off.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling being back in school?

Happy (44)
23.04%
Unhappy (54)
28.27%
Conflicted (93)
48.69%

Watched Threads