Ukcat 2019 entry discussion Watch

This discussion is closed.
Laurajane89
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's not too early for me!

Everyone is different, and for me, 2 or even 8 weeks isn't enough time as I work full-time and I have two children.

Start when you want to start...
The Medic Portal
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ric__1986)
Is anyone preparing for ukcat for 2019 entry ?
Hi there!

We'd say that the UKCAT takes around 6 weeks of preparation, so we'd say it's a little too early to start preparing as you don't want to run out of resources!

You can, however, find out more about the format of the UKCAT on our UKCAT 2018 page.

Hope this helps!
The Medic Portal
UKCATrocks
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Cor395)
They say on theUKCAt website to prepare for 3 to 4 weeks before the exam. Their not just throwing around a random number. At the end of the exam they ask you how much preparation you do and then compare peoples scores. If they say 3 to 4 weeks its because most top scorers had prepared for that amount of time and there was little to no meaningful variation in the scores of people who spent longer preparing.
It makes you laugh really, It sounds like the UKCAT people should do more verbal reasoning. The fact that the top scorers spent 3/4 weeks does not mean that this is the ideal prep time. It might just be that those people were good in the first place and so left it to the last few weeks to prepare.

What is important is to understand how the questions work and where the traps are. And also what are the recurrent themes so that when you see questions on those themes you know what to look for and what to pay attention to.

Most people start preparing with a book on an untimed basis, just to get a feel for things (eg the ISC 1250 questions book:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Get-into-Me...keywords=ukcat) and then do the online official tests to see how you do and then use some online resource to time yourself and work under more pressure. I would say that 3/4 is sufficient if you have time on your side, but otherwise maybe 6/8 weeks before.

I would suggest also taking it in August ie earlyish. After a while too much practice just makes you sweat more. So basically I would start preparing in June for an August exam.
The UKCAT BLOG
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I recommend focusing on grades atm, get your a levels out of the way but still keep an eye out for resources and learn more about the exam as your figuring out where to apply etc. once summer exams are over may/early June then start preparing I recommend attempting the official practice questions first to identify weakness. if you find the test easy/ok then 2- 4 weeks shud be enough time. if you found it difficult then you might want to take longer to prepare. best of luck
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Meow3
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ric__1986)
Is anyone preparing for ukcat for 2019 entry ?
When are you planning on doing yours?
20Andrea00
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey people, I'm from Slovakia and will be finishing my high school studies in 2019 but I need to apply for the British universities this year sometime around October. To do that, I have to pass the UKCAT exam and I would really appreciate it if someone explained to me when I should registrate for the exam so I can take it this summer, so I can send the application for the university in October. Thank you in advance!
Royal Oak
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 20Andrea00)
Hey people, I'm from Slovakia and will be finishing my high school studies in 2019 but I need to apply for the British universities this year sometime around October. To do that, I have to pass the UKCAT exam and I would really appreciate it if someone explained to me when I should registrate for the exam so I can take it this summer, so I can send the application for the university in October. Thank you in advance!
Registration opens in early summer I believe. Have a look at the website.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
Johnathan94
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Don't be too dissuaded by the comments suggesting you hold off a bit longer before preparing - I don't see how you can be "overprepared" in any sense for any test. They are right though in that much of what you will need to revise effectively isn't made available for a few months yet.

I'm also planning to sit the UKCAT this year - as a bio graduate. The time restrictions are really freaking me out so like you, I'm taking the time to familiarise myself with the format just now and plot out just how, and when, I'll be able to do my best with it.
Para92
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Johnathan94)
Don't be too dissuaded by the comments suggesting you hold off a bit longer before preparing - I don't see how you can be "overprepared" in any sense for any test. They are right though in that much of what you will need to revise effectively isn't made available for a few months yet.

I'm also planning to sit the UKCAT this year - as a bio graduate. The time restrictions are really freaking me out so like you, I'm taking the time to familiarise myself with the format just now and plot out just how, and when, I'll be able to do my best with it.
Im applying for GEM 2019, totally on the same page, I'm running out of time on each section meaning I'm guessing around 40% of the questions
The Medic Portal
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
To add to our previous reply - if you're curious about the kinds of questions you'll get in the exam or want to begin early, the best way to practise for the UKCAT is to complete practice questions online - our UKCAT Question Bank has thousands of questions, detailed answer explanations and is also completely FREE!

We also have a range of resources on UKCAT tips and preparation which you might find useful:

- UKCAT Guide
- UKCAT Preparation
- UKCAT Verbal Reasoning
- UKCAT Abstract Reasoning
- UKCAT Quantitative Reasoning
- UKCAT Decision Making
- UKCAT Situational Judgement

Hope this helps!
The Medic Portal
Khushi.S
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've just bought medify for 3 months and am getting 71% for VR and then high 70s and 80s for the rest (although I have only done like 5 questions on each one). How representative is the actual test compared to medify?
carrotmuncher
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi guys,

So basically UKCAT bookings opened online 2 weeks ago - so remember to go book your place! (dates available from July to October)

Thought this would be a good place for people to put how they are revising for these exams and any useful resources they have. (Basically help each other out lol)
And if there are any current med students who have any tips, your advice would be much appreciated!!!

In terms of weightings, many uni's weight the UKCAT score differently when deciding your offers - so if you need any info, hit me up on here

Will be doing a BMAT thread too...
crazychameleon
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was given a load of books from friends in the year above however the general consensus I got was that you should just use Medify for about 4 weeks prior to your exam.
Khushi.S
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My exam is on the 26th of July and I have been doing like 15-20 minutes a day (most of the time... although I did start practicing questions in like January) of medify and I have used a lot of medic portal too and I have like 2 books on the UKCAT. I think its finally starting to make sense (could just be that the Medify questions are a lot easier...)
The Medic Portal
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by carrotmuncher)
Hi guys,

So basically UKCAT bookings opened online 2 weeks ago - so remember to go book your place! (dates available from July to October)

Thought this would be a good place for people to put how they are revising for these exams and any useful resources they have. (Basically help each other out lol)
And if there are any current med students who have any tips, your advice would be much appreciated!!!

In terms of weightings, many uni's weight the UKCAT score differently when deciding your offers - so if you need any info, hit me up on here

Will be doing a BMAT thread too...
Hi everyone!

You can read all about preparation tips on our UKCAT guide - we have tips for each section of the exam:

- UKCAT Verbal Reasoning Tips
- UKCAT Abstract Reasoning Tips
- UKCAT Quantitative Reasoning Tips
- UKCAT Decision Making Tips
- UKCAT Situational Judgement Tips

We also have a completely free UKCAT Question Bank to help you with your preparation! It has thousands of questions, detailed performance tracking and access is completely unlimited.

Hope this helps!
The Medic Portal
DoctorMoonlight
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi guys!

I am planning on taking my UKCAT in the first week of July - anyone else in the same boat? Trying to get it done early so I can focus on my masters dissertation!
SSRaj
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by DoctorMoonlight)
Hi guys!

I am planning on taking my UKCAT in the first week of July - anyone else in the same boat? Trying to get it done early so I can focus on my masters dissertation!
Hi,
I’m taking it on Aug 14th.

Good Luck to you !!!
DoctorMoonlight
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SSRaj)
Hi,
I’m taking it on Aug 14th.

Good Luck to you !!!
Thank you!! And best of luck to you!
cricketta
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi carrotmuncher,

I have a predicted of AAA at A-level. Got 1A*, rest As, and a B in Biology and English Language.

Suppose I ace the UKCAT and get a high score, what unis would u recommend I apply for that don't rank or score GCSEs at all, but only require the minimum GCSE entry criteria?

I am looking towards St Andrews, Newcastle, Queen Mary's London and Aberdeen ? Maybe u can help me out?

Thanks,
cricketta
amegiraffe182
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Aiming for August 11th - good luck!

How is everyone preparing for the test?
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.75%
Excited (150)
8.98%
Worried (302)
18.07%
Terrified (374)
22.38%
Meh (154)
9.22%
Confused (37)
2.21%