Ukcat 2019 entry discussion Watch

This discussion is closed.
KharmaMedic
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Samanthaplague)
I've done 2 mocks and my scores are as follows: 1st one I got 595 average and then the one I did today I got 545 average (I ran out of time in the VR and only did half of them and I couldn't finish the DM or QR either...). I've done a lot of questions but I am REALLY struggling with timing. My test is in 1 month and 10 days, and I don't know whether or not I can improve on my timing. I'm now really panicking about this test because I thought my first mock was fairly decent and I did so badly on the second one... how can I improve my timing????? Please help...
Hey Samantha you can definitely improve your timing you have lots of time! Don't stress yourself

Start off slow. Every practice section you do keep it present in your mind that you want to be a bit faster per question. Maybe practice individual sections at a time to not get overwhelmed with the whole test at once.

This is something you can certainly improve!
Also you can try doing questions without a time limit so you can build a more efficient strategy to go quicker in the future. Don't overwhelmed yourself early on by doing full mocks!

Hope that helps

-KharmaMedic (YouTube)
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Khushi.S
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by KharmaMedic)
Hey Samantha you can definitely improve your timing you have lots of time! Don't stress yourself

Start off slow. Every practice section you do keep it present in your mind that you want to be a bit faster per question. Maybe practice individual sections at a time to not get overwhelmed with the whole test at once.

This is something you can certainly improve!
Also you can try doing questions without a time limit so you can build a more efficient strategy to go quicker in the future. Don't overwhelmed yourself early on by doing full mocks!

Hope that helps

-KharmaMedic (YouTube)
Thank you for the advice
I have the technique for the VR and get pretty much all of them right- it’s the timing that’s the issue so maybe it’ll do the timed questions on medify
AR- I haven’t really developed a strategy for this and acronyms aren’t really working for me. I either spot the relationship instantly or I can’t spot it at all. Maybe I’ll work on the acronym a bit more before doing any timed questions because it seems like an efficient method
QR- once again it’s no strategy but I am struggling with the graph questions. Also im the kind of person who doesn’t want to move onto the next question without answering the question first so maybe I just need to move out of the mind set because I am good at maths and I am getting like 600s right now in this section. I will probably do more timed questions for these ones.
DM- I am really struggling with these because I get so many wrong. It’s not that the questions are hard it’s just that I can’t seem to do them within the time frame because I’m more focussed on the timing and the ones that I get right are the ones that take the shortest time. I’ll have to do a lot of questions without the time frame so that I can work out a strategy for each type of question before doing the timed practice
SJT- this is my strongest section and I’m consistently getting band 2. I also finish it really quickly and have half the time left so maybe if I spend more time thinking I can probably do better and also need to read the GMC guidelines
c++renegade
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
  1. Offering a UKCAT course for £50 in central london this week only!

1. 1.
      I scored 822.5, Band 1, have taught UKCAT/BMAT for 4 years and have worked for the big companies. All details are available on my twitter account, @grimworldview .
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Samanthaplague)
Thank you for the advice
I have the technique for the VR and get pretty much all of them right- it’s the timing that’s the issue so maybe it’ll do the timed questions on medify
AR- I haven’t really developed a strategy for this and acronyms aren’t really working for me. I either spot the relationship instantly or I can’t spot it at all. Maybe I’ll work on the acronym a bit more before doing any timed questions because it seems like an efficient method
QR- once again it’s no strategy but I am struggling with the graph questions. Also im the kind of person who doesn’t want to move onto the next question without answering the question first so maybe I just need to move out of the mind set because I am good at maths and I am getting like 600s right now in this section. I will probably do more timed questions for these ones.
DM- I am really struggling with these because I get so many wrong. It’s not that the questions are hard it’s just that I can’t seem to do them within the time frame because I’m more focussed on the timing and the ones that I get right are the ones that take the shortest time. I’ll have to do a lot of questions without the time frame so that I can work out a strategy for each type of question before doing the timed practice
SJT- this is my strongest section and I’m consistently getting band 2. I also finish it really quickly and have half the time left so maybe if I spend more time thinking I can probably do better and also need to read the GMC guidelines
AR- you can afford to spend time on these q's to spot the pattern. If you do see nothing then just guess the same letter conistently(you're bound to get 1 right)
QR- flag the graph questions and skip them. If you are worried you will run out of time then click a random answer and move on
DM- See if you can try and pick out the relevant information and check what the question is asking for so you don't waste time
c++renegade
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

1. 1.
      I scored 822.5, Band 1, have taught UKCAT/BMAT for 4 years and have worked for the big companies. All details are available on my twitter account, @grimworldview .
Bmd28
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
After receiving 4 rejections, 3 pre-interview and 1 post, decided to give medicine another chance. Booked ukcat foe next month
DoctorMoonlight
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Bmd28)
After receiving 4 rejections, 3 pre-interview and 1 post, decided to give medicine another chance. Booked ukcat foe next month
I am sure you will get it this time! I am in a similar boat but decided to do it via grad entry
Bmd28
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by DoctorMoonlight)
I am sure you will get it this time! I am in a similar boat but decided to do it via grad entry
I'm actually graduate as well
Lola290
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Lola290)
When is it?
(Original post by c++renegade)

1. 1.
When is it?
aallisonn
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Anybody know what a good indication of a ukcat score is according to medify's percentages?

My overall average is 65% (I know that's crap). VR is 71%; DM is 59%; QR is 62%; AR is 58% and SJT is 78%. Idk if this shows I'm making progress or not. I'm on my fifth week of 'studying' and have my ukcat in 4 weeks.

Some advice would be appreciated
arigziegler
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by aallisonn)
Anybody know what a good indication of a ukcat score is according to medify's percentages?

My overall average is 65% (I know that's crap). VR is 71%; DM is 59%; QR is 62%; AR is 58% and SJT is 78%. Idk if this shows I'm making progress or not. I'm on my fifth week of 'studying' and have my ukcat in 4 weeks.

I'm at 70 but idk how accurate of a representation that score is :/ My UKCAT is also in 4 weeks btw.
supergrad
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

DM doesn't look too healthy so perhaps you could identify where you are going wrong and practice those areas; with QR the actual test is said to be much easier so I wouldn't stress about that... It's all about practice and how you feel you are doing compared to yourself minus all the practice you just did... you could compare percentages in a weeks time.. Otherwise good luck and don't stress too much! 4 weeks is plenty of time to practice!
aallisonn
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by supergrad)
DM doesn't look too healthy so perhaps you could identify where you are going wrong and practice those areas; with QR the actual test is said to be much easier so I wouldn't stress about that... It's all about practice and how you feel you are doing compared to yourself minus all the practice you just did... you could compare percentages in a weeks time.. Otherwise good luck and don't stress too much! 4 weeks is plenty of time to practice!
Yeah, DM is my weakest because I spend too long on some questions or I just can't figure them out.

And thanks! Hoping to get 1 mock done this week on medify to get a better indication
aallisonn
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by arigziegler)
I'm at 70 but idk how accurate of a representation that score is :/ My UKCAT is also in 4 weeks btw.
Oh woah! I feel like the percentages on medify don't really help because of how **** I was at the beginning 😂

Good luck! Are you applying for the standard 5 year course? I'm applying for GEM.
Ufuovefe
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Oh woah! I feel like the percentages on medify don't really help because of how **** I was at the beginning 😂

Good luck! Are you applying for the standard 5 year course? I'm applying for GEM.

For anyone using Medify, did you pay to use it?
aallisonn
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ufuovefe)
For anyone using Medify, did you pay to use it?
Yeah, you pay to use it.

They just direct you to a page where you fill in your card details. You get a receipt sent to your email address.
arigziegler
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

It's going to depend on my results but I'd personally prefer to apply to the 5 year courses. Plus id be self paying either way so I'd rather leave GEM to those who are doing it for the financial aid :P
Dyscopia
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Hi there!

2018 UKCAT taker here, retaking it again this year to give advice to those at my school thinking about UK med. I'd argue that the scores are fairly representative over a long period of time, when you have finished roughly 90% of the questions.

I did pretty badly last year (655avg band 3) and still managed to get into med school so to those worrying - don't! It's not the end of the world as I thought it might have been.

Last year I revised for roughly a month and a half, this year I had 15 days. My exam is in 8 days as of now
leverarch
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MagicalMedic)
Hi there!

2018 UKCAT taker here, retaking it again this year to give advice to those at my school thinking about UK med. I'd argue that the scores are fairly representative over a long period of time, when you have finished roughly 90% of the questions.

I did pretty badly last year (655avg band 3) and still managed to get into med school so to those worrying - don't! It's not the end of the world as I thought it might have been.

Last year I revised for roughly a month and a half, this year I had 15 days. My exam is in 8 days as of now
Where did you apply and what offers did you get?
Good luck for your UKCAT too!!
Dyscopia
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by leverarch)
Where did you apply and what offers did you get?
Good luck for your UKCAT too!!
I applied to Leicester, Cambridge, UCL, and Birmingham. Had interview offers from Leicester, Cambridge, and Birmingham, got post-interview rejection from Cambridge, an offer from Leicester, and I did not attend my Birmingham interview as I withdrew my application for personal reasons. UCL rejected me really late, in like March, pre-interview.

That's 3/4 interviews with 2/2 UKCAT unis despite the "bad" score. I had to switch Glasgow for Birmingham (did so last-minute despite having done my UKCAT mid-july...), and I realised it wouldn't be a uni for me a bit too late. But I applied to my strengths, and that was key!

I had good-ish IGCSEs (7A* 1A out of 10 IGCSEs), and a good predicted score in IB (3A* equivalent). But interviews is what really can make or break an application!

Thank you, and good luck to you too! I'm sure you'll do great!
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.32%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.42%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (87)
19.16%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (183)
40.31%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.63%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.17%