Chances of me getting into med at Glasgow?? need advice...

Watch this thread
Atlantacrow
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi all, I'm not sure what to do and would like advice.

I'm wanting to pursue medicine, I did my highers and got 4As (maths, English, biology and chemistry) and a B in geography in S5, and this year I'm currently doing higher music, adv higher: chemistry, biology and maths. My question is whether I should drop higher music, and just do the 3 advanced? I think music is an easy A for me and I enjoy but I feel as though I could be spending more time on my 3 advanced subjects? So far I'm finding the work load of the advances a bit heavier than expected, and feel as if I don't have enough time to catch up. However, since I'm lacking an A last year idk if I should just keep going with music... does music even appeal to universities?

I am aware Glasgow need 5As but do they just filter out the people who don't have those grades and only look at the applicants with 5As? If I applied would I stand a chance of even getting an interview??

Please guide me cos I'm not sure what to do haha
Puppo
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Atlantacrow)

I'm wanting to pursue medicine, I did my highers and got 4As (maths, English, biology and chemistry) and a B in geography in S5, and this year I'm currently doing higher music, adv higher: chemistry, biology and maths. My question is whether I should drop higher music, and just do the 3 advanced? I think music is an easy A for me and I enjoy but I feel as though I could be spending more time on my 3 advanced subjects? So far I'm finding the work load of the advances a bit heavier than expected, and feel as if I don't have enough time to catch up. However, since I'm lacking an A last year idk if I should just keep going with music... does music even appeal to universities?

I am aware Glasgow need 5As but do they just filter out the people who don't have those grades and only look at the applicants with 5As? If I applied would I stand a chance of even getting an interview??

Glasgow:
AAAAA or AAAABB by end of s5 MUST include chem and bio and either maths or physics.
"we adjust these requirements for eligible applicants, from AAABB to AAAAC at s5, based upon completion of a pre-entry programme. See glasgow.ac.uk/accessglasgow for details.
Must have English N5 at grade B or above.
3 AH - BBB or AB at 2 AH and a B or above in 1 higher. No subject requirements for AH.
Unless you are eligible for Glasgow reach I would not recommend you apply here as I imagine you will probably be automatically rejected because of AAAAB (stupid Glasgow uni but it is what it is).

The other 4 Scottish unis have minimum requirements of AAAAB so surely just apply to those?

I would ditch music. It doesn't add anything and isn t required. All it couldn't is detract from your performance in the advanced highers.
Kirst_4600
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Hi, I used to want to apply to the Glasgow medicine course but have recently changed my mind. Are you involved in the "reach" programme? If not I would recommend that you see if it is possible to join as they can boost a grade, so they might be able to boost your B in geography to an A. The reach programme is only for Glasgow university, and I'm sure you would still be able to get an interview, just put a lot of work into your personal statement. Good luck x
Legendrian
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Dear Atlantacrow,

I'm in the same position as you. Did you get into medicine?

Thanks.
hydroxide
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Atlantacrow)

If you're part of the REACH programme (eligible for lower grades) go ahead and apply to Glasgow. If not, do not waste this precious choice as it would be automatic rejection. I know someone who applied to Glasgow with AAAAB and got rejection pre-interview.

As for Advanced Highers, if you think music is an easy A for you, I'd say go for it! But if you're struggling with the advanced highers already maybe you should drop it. (personally I did four advanced highers this year and it was alright for me)

good luck xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (100)
28.74%
It went fairly well (166)
47.7%
It didn't go too well (55)
15.8%
TERRIBLE! (27)
7.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed