Traore
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
The Extended Project Qualification (EPQ) is free standing qualification offered by AQA and Edexcel. It involves choosing a topic and carrying out some pretty hardcore research into that particular area, then creating EITHER a 5,000 word report OR a 'product' + a 1,000 word report.

Firstly, I have just started my A-Levels and I am taking sociology, psychology and biology.

Initially I wanted to do something based on crime, since I'm just fascinated by it and I could link my three A-Levels to it. Crime was an open field, so in my head I'm determined to do something related to murder or serial killers...

I'm struggling to come up with ideas though.. I want to be unique to others and I really want to show off.

Thanks if anyone can help
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Do you know what, you sound just like me. I have just finished year 13 about to go to university and I did the EPQ. I got an A in it and I was on Edexcel. I was doing biology, psychology and geography, so we are pretty similar.

My first idea was based on serial killers too. Similar to you, that's something that really fascinates me. However, this didn't work out. Your question needs to be a debate. It cannot be a yes or no question. For example, my first idea was "are more people killed by people they know or by strangers?" but this is not a debate. Your essay needs to have two sides to it, agree and disagree and then come to a conclusion and final viewpoint.

It also cannot be something you study in your lessons. My second idea was to do the nature/nurture debate of murderers - whether they are born to kill or not. However, part of my OCR psychology course was the nature/nurture debate of criminal behaviour. So, I had to scrap that.

Eventually, I settled on the nature/nurture debate of addiction - are people born with a predisposition to become addicts or does their environment influence them more?

You could perhaps look at the nature/nurture debate of serial killers as long as you aren't studying it, or the possible treatments for serial killers in terms of rehabilitation while in prison, or the possible causes of people killing.

I hope this helps! As you can tell, psychology interests me very much.
Traore
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thanks man, I wanted to do geography too but my school made it clash with psychology so I had to pursue my passion.

Nature vs nurture does come up in both sociology and psychology this year so I have no idea if I'm allowed to do something like that. Even if I did, I wouldn't know how to propose the question.
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Traore)
Thanks man, I wanted to do geography too but my school made it clash with psychology so I had to pursue my passion.

Nature vs nurture does come up in both sociology and psychology this year so I have no idea if I'm allowed to do something like that. Even if I did, I wouldn't know how to propose the question.
It depends on what the nature/nurture debate is looking at. I couldn't do it about criminals because that was on the specification, but I could do it about addiction because that wasn't part of our course.

What I did was I searched the AQA spec (I did OCR) to see what topics I could do because I was completely lost. AQA teaches about addiction, yet OCR doesn't.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (66)
14.93%
I'm not sure (16)
3.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (148)
33.48%
I have already dropped out (7)
1.58%
I'm not a current university student (205)
46.38%

Watched Threads