The Student Room Group

Failed Year 12

Hello,

So I failed my first year of 6th form :frown: . I got an E in Biology, E in Chemistry and somehow a B in History ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (literally thought i failrd everything when i heard those E's). I'm restarting year 12 in a different school and i will be studying Psychology, Sociology and Biology again.
Now lets get to the question.... i was wondering if retaking year 12 will prevent me from going to a russel group uni like queen mary or kings?
I didnt fail because i was slacking or anything... i kinda hated school because of the enviorment and things at home were not going good either... i never told anyone about what was going on but my form tutor was aware that i was drained most of the time because i did break down in front of her.. (awks)
Please leave comments of your experience in retaking or just any advice would do :smile:
Thank you,
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by penguin_00
Hello,

So I failed my first year of 6th form :frown: . I got an E in Biology, E in Chemistry and somehow a B in History ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (literally thought i failrd everything when i heard those E's). I'm restarting year 12 in a different school and i will be studying Psychology, Sociology and Biology again.
Now lets get to the question.... i was wondering if retaking year 12 will prevent me from going to a russel group uni like queen mary or kings?
I didnt fail because i was slacking or anything... i kinda hated school because of the enviorment and things at home were not going good either... i never told anyone about what was going on but my form tutor was aware that i was drained most of the time because i did break down in front of her.. (awks)
Please leave comments of your experience in retaking or just any advice would do :smile:
Thank you,

Hey honestly you have nothing to worry about. I was in a very similar situation to you not long ago.

I retook year 13 in a different college after getting BCD (B in Econ, C in Computing and a D in Maths) with my school. I reapplied and received offers from ALL of my choices (exactly the same choices as the year before). My choices were UCL, King's, Birmingham, Nottingham and Queen Mary. I received offers from ALL of them but UCL gave me a different offer (first year they didn't even give me an offer) so I rejected them. So to answer your question, retaking the year had 0 impact on me getting offers from 'top unis' so why should it have an impact on you!? (it won't).

In the end I got A*AB! A* in computing, A in maths. I decided to not retake econ as I really didn't enjoy it and a B was good enough. I am now off to start Computer Science at my firm, King's!

Good luck to you, promise you it will all work out. I am not making this up to make you feel you better btw - if evidence is needed, it can be supplied!
Reply 2
Firstly, well doneeeeeeeee. Secondly, thank you very much! I am going to do my best this year and get good AS results. Honestly, thank you soo much for telling me that it is still possible for me to do well. Finally, I wish you the best of luck at kings :>

Quick Reply

Latest