How long should a vac scheme application take?

Watch
Nozick11
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi Guys,

So before I applied to vac schemes I always heard of the importance of properly tailoring your application to that specific firm and taking your time etc. After seeing the questions for the DLA Piper application (adds up to a total of 500 words), I've been questioning how long it should actually take.

I've done about 2 or 3 hours of research on the firm itself, and I certainly feel like I have enough information to make the application a good one, whilst being specific to the organisation (mentioning things like pro bono etc). Given the questions add up to a total of 500 words and I've already planned my answers, I can't see the write up taking longer than an hour.

So overall, this leads to 3 or 4 hours per application. Am I doing something wrong here, or is this how long others mostly take?

Thanks,

Nozick
jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I would say that 3-4 hours per application is about right.

I would suggest taking longer for the first couple of applications. It can be a bit quicker once you have made a few applications and are able to recycle answers to some of the questions.

On the whole, most students do not take long enough or take enough care with their application forms. One of the best things you can do for your application is to make sure that there are zero typos or grammatical errors. Many (most?) application forms have some. This kind of thing is extremely important for law firms - attention to detail is crucial for legal practice.
Edminzodo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Nozick11)
Hi Guys,

So before I applied to vac schemes I always heard of the importance of properly tailoring your application to that specific firm and taking your time etc. After seeing the questions for the DLA Piper application (adds up to a total of 500 words), I've been questioning how long it should actually take.

I've done about 2 or 3 hours of research on the firm itself, and I certainly feel like I have enough information to make the application a good one, whilst being specific to the organisation (mentioning things like pro bono etc). Given the questions add up to a total of 500 words and I've already planned my answers, I can't see the write up taking longer than an hour.

So overall, this leads to 3 or 4 hours per application. Am I doing something wrong here, or is this how long others mostly take?

Thanks,

Nozick
As people have said, it's an impossible question to answer! Although I heard recently that the average application takes 18 hours . . . I think this was referring to the long competency question ones, though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (188)
57.85%
I don't have everything I need (137)
42.15%

Watched Threads