Cosplay help and advice for comic con

Watch
BlueNova42
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi, just wondering if any of you know where I can the costume and weapon templates and stuff needed for this cosplay as I'm thinking of cosplaying for the first time at comic-con this October.

Basically, I'm either thinking of going as DMC4 Nero or DMC3 Dante. I've taken care of the whole open-chest binding thing (I'm a girl, btw) as I've found a decent tutorial for that, and I'm assuming there's a whole bunch of stuff on the internet for all the props and weapons necessary. (i can always buy props, right?) (but if you know of any good ones, please leave them here)

But the problem lies in the following....

- the hair. I get my hair cut pretty short and choppy which is unintentionally sorta like the guys from devil may cry, but it's dark as hell and I don't know of any good white temporary wash in dyes that won't make my hair look greasy or gross as hell anyway. Also I don't know which waxes and pomades are good to keep it altogether and in place. (also because my skin is kinda medium to dark, IDK if I can pull this off)

- the blue contact lenses. I don't know of any reputable dealers of coloured contacts, and what makes this worse is that I've heard of horror stories about eye infections from these things, so this kinda terrifies me.

- costume templates. I'm thinking of making mines from scratch as I don't think the ones available online to pre-buy look good so if any of you have any good sites to go to would be great. (any sewing machine advice would be awesome as well)

-fabrics. I can always use john lewis right?

- weird question, but is compression underwear necessary to pull this off?

- and if you guys have any good advice about cosplaying in general, that would be nice as well.

Thanks for your help
AngryJellyfish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Moved to Creative corner; I'll have a word with a cosplay guru friend of mine, poke me if I don't reply later today.
AngryJellyfish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by BlueNova42)
Hi, just wondering if any of you know where I can the costume and weapon templates and stuff needed for this cosplay as I'm thinking of cosplaying for the first time at comic-con this October.

Basically, I'm either thinking of going as DMC4 Nero or DMC3 Dante. I've taken care of the whole open-chest binding thing (I'm a girl, btw) as I've found a decent tutorial for that, and I'm assuming there's a whole bunch of stuff on the internet for all the props and weapons necessary. (i can always buy props, right?) (but if you know of any good ones, please leave them here)

But the problem lies in the following....

- the hair. I get my hair cut pretty short and choppy which is unintentionally sorta like the guys from devil may cry, but it's dark as hell and I don't know of any good white temporary wash in dyes that won't make my hair look greasy or gross as hell anyway. Also I don't know which waxes and pomades are good to keep it altogether and in place. (also because my skin is kinda medium to dark, IDK if I can pull this off)

- the blue contact lenses. I don't know of any reputable dealers of coloured contacts, and what makes this worse is that I've heard of horror stories about eye infections from these things, so this kinda terrifies me.

- costume templates. I'm thinking of making mines from scratch as I don't think the ones available online to pre-buy look good so if any of you have any good sites to go to would be great. (any sewing machine advice would be awesome as well)

-fabrics. I can always use john lewis right?

- weird question, but is compression underwear necessary to pull this off?

- and if you guys have any good advice about cosplaying in general, that would be nice as well.

Thanks for your help
(Original post by AngryJellyfish)
I'll have a word with a cosplay guru friend of mine...
Her TL;DR answer, which is pretty much what I was thinking as well:

1. You're better off going with a wig for the hair, given how light theirs is - as you say, anything temporary will likely look bad.

2. Coloured contacts aren't advisable, due to the horrendous impacts if they go wrong. I considered getting some for a costume in the past, but the decent ones are really expensive.

3. Making a costume from scratch with a month and a half to go isn't advisable either, unless you're experienced at sewing and working with leather/artificial pleather. If I was in your situation, I'd be looking at buying a premade costume and adding to/improving it from there, then practicing that kind of stuff ready for future costumes when you have a bit more time to play with.

If however you're committed to making it from scratch, maybe seek advice/read the guides over on cosplay.com for more specialized help than you're likely to find on TSR. They have tutorials, and entire sections for advice on hair/wigs and contact lenses.

Regardless of how you decide to pull this costume off, I hope you enjoy your first time cosplaying!
BlueNova42
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by AngryJellyfish)
Her TL;DR answer, which is pretty much what I was thinking as well:

1. You're better off going with a wig for the hair, given how light theirs is - as you say, anything temporary will likely look bad.

2. Coloured contacts aren't advisable, due to the horrendous impacts if they go wrong. I considered getting some for a costume in the past, but the decent ones are really expensive.

3. Making a costume from scratch with a month and a half to go isn't advisable either, unless you're experienced at sewing and working with leather/artificial pleather. If I was in your situation, I'd be looking at buying a premade costume and adding to/improving it from there, then practicing that kind of stuff ready for future costumes when you have a bit more time to play with.

If however you're committed to making it from scratch, maybe seek advice/read the guides over on cosplay.com for more specialized help than you're likely to find on TSR. They have tutorials, and entire sections for advice on hair/wigs and contact lenses.

Regardless of how you decide to pull this costume off, I hope you enjoy your first time cosplaying!

Thank you. this is really helpful!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (9)
6.16%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (24)
16.44%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (25)
17.12%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (21)
14.38%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (41)
28.08%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (26)
17.81%

Watched Threads