Stigmata.... Watch

This discussion is closed.
frost105
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I am not a follower of any religion but I have always been fascinated by stigmata. What do people think? Are they real, evidence of mind over body or wounds of christ?
eleenia
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by frost105)
I am not a follower of any religion but I have always been fascinated by stigmata. What do people think? Are they real, evidence of mind over body or wounds of christ?
It's absolute rubbish... I'd sooner believe one of those idiot 'psychic mediums' on the digital channels (who always look like they should be shifting old bangers in a car lot rather than communicated with the ceased-to-be) than in Stigmata. C'mon - if Jesus was going inflict his wounds upon a members of the human race, would he be so cruel as to prey on the mentally infirm?
Apollo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yeah i think its really interesting, and really odd, but i don't think jesus has anything to do with it.
Sam2k
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
What do you mean by the term stigmata? I've heard the term before but never in any context that would alllow me to figure out what it is.
Apollo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Mr Moncal)
What do you mean by the term stigmata? I've heard the term before but never in any context that would alllow me to figure out what it is.
stigmata Bodily marks, sores, or sensations of pain corresponding in location to the crucifixion wounds of Jesus, usually occurring during states of religious ecstasy or hysteria.

^Dictionary.com
Sam2k
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
So we're not talking about the wounds of Jesus? We're talking about wounds apearing on "folowers"?
Everdawn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think Stigmata is a phenomenon, it think it generally occurs. But how? I think it could reflect a person's deep religious connection with their god. But that still doesnt proove god. It could be a psycological phenomenon which cuases the "wounds of christ" to appear on someone because they are so religiously 'down pat'. It could be the same thing as I remember seeing on a current affairs show that one girl wanted to have a baby so much that her brian and body started producing signs of pregnancy, ie lactating etc, when infact there was no baby, zip, zilch.
riffraff
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
could this mean that if I really really want lots of money to appear in my bank account it will? *looks hopeful*
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think that they are very interesting but completely psycological
Everdawn
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by riffraff)
could this mean that if I really really want lots of money to appear in my bank account it will? *looks hopeful*
no becuase it has nothing to do with your body.
Outrageous
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Does it matter what people think? To the believers it is true. It symbolizes the percieved pain (wounds) of Jesus when crucified. It may be psycosematic and brought on by the mind. Who is it to say? I do believe they are psycosematic more than anything. But that is my view.

May I refer you to a great movie on the topic? "Stigmata" It was to be banned has christian extremeists much to say and a few things were but the movie was released anyways. It plays with some interesting theories.
Jonatan
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Some are Psychological, other self inflicted. Some people feel pain and get sick after being emotionally affected from thinking about what happened to Jesus. Some people react in extreme ways to this and it can be very painful ( almost as if someone were hurting you). Some peopel are schizofrenic and inflict the wounds themselves and later forget about it, thridly some do it deliberately merely to get attention. In either case I do not think theres any external mysthical force in play. Its all psychology....
Dam
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Good film. But does it really happen? I don't think so. When I see it I will believe it.
Lehcar
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Mind over matter.
Outrageous
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Dam)
Good film. But does it really happen? I don't think so. When I see it I will believe it.
What makes you think it does not happen? because you haven't seen it up close? Let me put it like this - there are many reported incidents and some of them are fake of course (selfinflicted or just scams) while others can not be explained scientifically. Can we then dismiss that things of this nature can take place?

A bit like statues of Virgin Mary or Jesus crying - sometimes tears of blood.

I realize in todays world we are more than eager to dismiss anything which is not remotely scientifically substantiated but does that mean it does not exist?

Other phenomena include - telepathi, excorsism, black magic etc. The latter two linked with religion.
FallenSpirit
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think it's interesting, but I'm not religious so I don't believe that it's being caused by Jesus.
Outrageous
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by FallenSpirit)
I think it's interesting, but I'm not religious so I don't believe that it's being caused by Jesus.
Then what is it then? It usually happens to devout christians? If it is real then what else could explain it you think? Agreed its interesting. I don't know what to make of it either.
Apollo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Jonatan)
Some are Psychological, other self inflicted. Some people feel pain and get sick after being emotionally affected from thinking about what happened to Jesus. Some people react in extreme ways to this and it can be very painful ( almost as if someone were hurting you). Some peopel are schizofrenic and inflict the wounds themselves and later forget about it, thridly some do it deliberately merely to get attention. In either case I do not think theres any external mysthical force in play. Its all psychology....
But how do you know? How are you so sure thats what it is?
Trigger
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
as far as im concerened anything is possible and shouldnt be rubbished. dont you find it odd that the planet is here at all? that were all alive?and apparently theres nothing else at all out there but us!!! my head hurts
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (60)
30.3%
No - I got the required grades (115)
58.08%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
11.62%

Watched Threads