The Student Room Group

Flirting with a guy, but afraid my parents will find out and disown me

Okay, so there's this guy I have known for the past year or so. We went to the same uni, but were doing completely different subjects. While I have graduated and will be doing a Masters at a Russell Group uni, he has stayed behind and still has two years to finish his degree after flunking year 2. That, in itself, is not a problem as both universities are in the same city and we could still see each other through our friends or while hanging out.

However, the real trouble is our different social classes and his religious background. My upbringing has been pretty much what you would expect from someone within the middle upper-class: jetting off around the world in Business class, nannies and maids at our disposition, gigantic flats/houses in expensive areas, tennis and piano classes and of course, incredibly expensive private schools. His, not so much. He immigrated from his home country as a child, lives in council housing and works as a kitchen porter to afford his studies, as well as the fact that he is still doing his undergraduate degree.

My parents are always comparing me to my siblings and talking about how successful they are with their partners and how, said partners, are all educated to Masters level and the such. They are pretty driven by social status quo in this sense, as they don't want to see their daughter living below her upbringing. And it disgusts me that I cannot be with someone who I care and love deeply because of this attitude. But, at the same time, I don't want to sacrifice neither my relationship with my parents nor that I have with this person. We are taking things slowly and seeing where it takes out, although we have no commitments to each other as of yet and we are just testing the waters. We almost kissed a couple of days ago, but I pushed back as I didn't feel it was the right time.

Scroll to see replies

Call the police, frame your parents, get new parents, problem solved.
Reply 2
Original post by jsk800
Call the police, frame your parents, get new parents, problem solved.

Nah, I love them far too much...despite them buying into that elitist bulls*** and having a stick up their arse.
Reply 3
Can anyone help with some advice? I am at a loss here and I would hate to let go of someone because I am afraid of the repercussions to dating him. But at the same time, I know my parents and under no circumstance they would ever approve of this.
Reply 4
hey. I think you should tell your parents the truth, handle it sensibly and don't expect a positive or negative response. just remember your parents will love you no matter who you like. they may not agree with you but they will always love you!
from a friendly face
he a gold digger
Reply 6
Original post by mrwb9876
he a gold digger

I doubt it. When I say we are going slow, I mean it. I just don't like to feel rushed into this and the most we have done so far is hold hands and hug/kiss in the cheek. We almost kissed, yes, but hell, he doesn't even have my phone number and we surely don't text. We just hang with mutual friends and he has had this huge crush on me for over a year.
Sad to say it is unlikely to work out. Too different.

What you need to beware of is hurting your relationship with your family and this going nowhere eventually anyway.
Reply 8
You should speak to your parents about it. If you deeply love him, then you shouldn't care about how he was raised, it's only love. My advice is to speak to your parents about it and see what they say. You can tell them you're in love with a boy, you can maybe bring him over and see how the interaction will be like.
Original post by generallee
Sad to say it is unlikely to work out. Too different.

What you need to beware of is hurting your relationship with your family and this going nowhere eventually anyway.

good to see you've internalised your parents' spiel and put their interests above yours
Original post by Palmyra
good to see you've internalised your parents' spiel and put their interests above yours

Just saying it how it is.

Go out with and then marry someone suitable to make two families happy.

Win win for everyone, right?

Girl, dating that guy is not a good idea at all. Not only you are creating a brewing ground for resentment because he might feel uncomfortable over the wealth disparities between the two of you, but also, are you sure he is a good influence? You're doing your masters and he flunked year 2 of his course...doesn't say good things about his work ethic, don't you think? He will probably hinder and distract you, meaning that you will lose focus on what's truly important and that's your studies. You are moving onto your Masters and I am sure you'll get to know plenty of like-minded people.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by bluepimpernel

Girl, dating that guy is not a good idea at all. Not only you are creating a brewing ground for resentment because he might feel uncomfortable over the wealth disparities between the two of you, but also, are you sure he is a good influence? You're doing your masters and he flunked year 2 of his course...doesn't say good things about his work ethic, don't you think? He will probably hinder and distract you, meaning that you will lose focus on what's truly important and that's your studies. You are moving onto your Masters and I am sure you'll get to know plenty of like-minded people.

Now switch the genders
If you 'deeply loved' him then you would have definatley kissed him already and wouldn't be seeking your parents approval.
Also, you're in your 20's and your parents have no say whatsoever.
Why not find someone who is your social equal? Do you suffer from low self esteem or something that makes you feel you are not attractive to a man from your own social background?

Also you mention religion, what religion is he? Are we talking Muslim?
Original post by Fadel
Now switch the genders

Men can also be gold diggers, mind you. Although I don't know OP and the guy so maybe calling him a "gold digger" is a stretch. But from the little I have gathered in this thread, OP should love herself and flirt with the guy but not take things any further.
Original post by astutehirstute
Why not find someone who is your social equal? Do you suffer from low self esteem or something that makes you feel you are not attractive to a man from your own social background?

Also you mention religion, what religion is he? Are we talking Muslim?

I have had my flings, of course, and ended a long-term relationship by the time I was in second year (let's just say that long-distance didn't work for either of us :frown: ). We ended becoming acquainted through mutual friends, and we just hit it off. Being around him makes me feel at ease and I can express myself without feeling that my opinions are being judged. He admitted that he has liked me for over a year, and I reciprocate such feelings. If I haven't taken things further is because I don't like rushing these things and because I am terrified of what my parents will say.

He is atheist, but was born within a Muslim family and my parents are anti-Muslim, which I think is bulls*** and repulsive. We have had our arguments over it and I know for a fact that, if I was to tell them that he was originally Muslim, they would probably kick him out of our house.They have said so before.
Reply 17
Original post by Anonymous
Okay, so there's this guy I have known for the past year or so. We went to the same uni, but were doing completely different subjects. While I have graduated and will be doing a Masters at a Russell Group uni, he has stayed behind and still has two years to finish his degree after flunking year 2. That, in itself, is not a problem as both universities are in the same city and we could still see each other through our friends or while hanging out.

However, the real trouble is our different social classes and his religious background. My upbringing has been pretty much what you would expect from someone within the middle upper-class: jetting off around the world in Business class, nannies and maids at our disposition, gigantic flats/houses in expensive areas, tennis and piano classes and of course, incredibly expensive private schools. His, not so much. He immigrated from his home country as a child, lives in council housing and works as a kitchen porter to afford his studies, as well as the fact that he is still doing his undergraduate degree.

My parents are always comparing me to my siblings and talking about how successful they are with their partners and how, said partners, are all educated to Masters level and the such. They are pretty driven by social status quo in this sense, as they don't want to see their daughter living below her upbringing. And it disgusts me that I cannot be with someone who I care and love deeply because of this attitude. But, at the same time, I don't want to sacrifice neither my relationship with my parents nor that I have with this person. We are taking things slowly and seeing where it takes out, although we have no commitments to each other as of yet and we are just testing the waters. We almost kissed a couple of days ago, but I pushed back as I didn't feel it was the right time.

Don't tell them about his upbringing then, tell them he is a Saudi prince and 5th in line to the throne. That will impress them :wink:

no but seriously, ..just don't tell them about his background. Invent something plausible ...or just keep dating him and not tell them. If it isn't even serious ..why do you need to tell them so soon?

maybe don't tell them and then cross that bridge if you come to it, and the relationship does get serious and you are thinking about marriage or kids or something..........
Original post by Anonymous
I have had my flings, of course, and ended a long-term relationship by the time I was in second year (let's just say that long-distance didn't work for either of us :frown: ). We ended becoming acquainted through mutual friends, and we just hit it off. Being around him makes me feel at ease and I can express myself without feeling that my opinions are being judged. He admitted that he has liked me for over a year, and I reciprocate such feelings. If I haven't taken things further is because I don't like rushing these things and because I am terrified of what my parents will say.

He is atheist, but was born within a Muslim family and my parents are anti-Muslim, which I think is bulls*** and repulsive. We have had our arguments over it and I know for a fact that, if I was to tell them that he was originally Muslim, they would probably kick him out of our house.They have said so before.

Not sure what to say, exactly, then, you are in a difficult situation.

I suspect that the fact that your parents would be so appalled makes the prospect of a relationship more exciting. You may not realise this consciously, but forbidden fruits taste sweeter, right?

Relationships like this sound romantic, but rarely work in practice. To me it sounds like an awful lot of potential heartbreak and suffering. For what?

There are loads of potential partners out there for you with whom you would be perfectly happy and compatible with, and not disowned because of. Why not find one of them?

But you won't listen to me or anyone else. It is your life, you have to live with the consequences.

The best of luck, I hope it works out for you, whatever happens.

Don't do anything that is irrecoverable from.
I think you should see how the relationship goes before telling your family. Also, dont let your parent's judgment stop you from living your life, they should see that this guy has worked hard to get to where he is and clearly wants an education. Being with this guy could be great for you and you'll never know unless you give it a try.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending