The Student Room Group

Driving for two years nearly

How many years do I have to be driving for affordable insurance? I'm breaking my neck paying what I pay every month lol
How much for you pay the moment?
I believe ~25 is where prices become more reasonable. Obviously, other things factor into this as well... Driving record, NCB, ect...
Reply 4
Original post by trinaestella
How many years do I have to be driving for affordable insurance? I'm breaking my neck paying what I pay every month lol

Affordability is subjective.

I'm 19, been driving for two years, and just upgraded from a 1.2l to a 1.6l car - my insurance is £800. This is affordable for me, it might not be affordable for you. See the problem with your question?
Reply 5
Original post by IWMTom
Affordability is subjective.

I'm 19, been driving for two years, and just upgraded from a 1.2l to a 1.6l car - my insurance is £800. This is affordable for me, it might not be affordable for you. See the problem with your question?

This.

Though I believe insurance drops somewhat firstly at 21 and then at 25.

Clearly your choice of car will also play a huge part in "affordability"
Reply 6
Original post by stirkee
This.

Though I believe insurance drops somewhat firstly at 21 and then at 25.

Clearly your choice of car will also play a huge part in "affordability"

This is on the whole correct - there are three generally accepted "thresholds" for which premiums begin to reduce - 18, 21, and 25.
Reply 7
Original post by IWMTom
This is on the whole correct - there are three generally accepted "thresholds" for which premiums begin to reduce - 18, 21, and 25.

Yep :smile: I didn't mention the 18 one as they're obviously already there.
As aforementioned affordability is subjective but it depends mainly on your age and NCB in conjunction.

I'm 21 w/ 2yr NCB on one policy and 0 years on the second (I pour all my money into my cars, they're a hobby and a passion).

A 2.5L Turbo w/ a couple of modifications costs me £1300 with 2 years NCB. A 2.0L standard road car costs me £1000 with no NCB. The NCB is massive in deciding your premium - next year I should be looking at £700 for the 2.0L (hopefully with a further small discount for being a year older) and £1350 (only a quote currently) for kitting out my 2.5L Turbo up to 320bhp. Point being NCB makes a HUGE difference, so get a cheap as chips car and save for a couple of years then buy something awesome - took me four years of saving to buy my sports car and afford the insurance but was well worth it.

Where you live also makes a difference (not that you can help this factor) as does [extra] security features (mine has an immobiliser, alarm and if the ignition is activated without a key it shuts the ECU off). 21 with a year or two under your belt is when you can start owning nicer cars as far as I can tell.
Original post by GonvilleBromhead
As aforementioned affordability is subjective but it depends mainly on your age and NCB in conjunction.

I'm 21 w/ 2yr NCB on one policy and 0 years on the second (I pour all my money into my cars, they're a hobby and a passion).

A 2.5L Turbo w/ a couple of modifications costs me £1300 with 2 years NCB. A 2.0L standard road car costs me £1000 with no NCB. The NCB is massive in deciding your premium - next year I should be looking at £700 for the 2.0L (hopefully with a further small discount for being a year older) and £1350 (only a quote currently) for kitting out my 2.5L Turbo up to 320bhp. Point being NCB makes a HUGE difference, so get a cheap as chips car and save for a couple of years then buy something awesome - took me four years of saving to buy my sports car and afford the insurance but was well worth it.

Where you live also makes a difference (not that you can help this factor) as does [extra] security features (mine has an immobiliser, alarm and if the ignition is activated without a key it shuts the ECU off). 21 with a year or two under your belt is when you can start owning nicer cars as far as I can tell.

Wow where do you live?

I'm 24 and been passed 3 years and have 3 years NCB and my insurance on a 1.4 is £3000.
Original post by CynicalBeing
Wow where do you live?

I'm 24 and been passed 3 years and have 3 years NCB and my insurance on a 1.4 is £3000.

Damn, that sucks. I do live in a nice area, it's mainly retirees (as my parents bought before the area became built up so we live way upmarket of where we by right should) which helps massively, plus I keep my nice car garaged and never drive it at peak times (it also has a lot of security features which helps) as well as having extremely limited mileage on a multicar. Without it the bill for that car alone would be around £2200 but because I obviously can't drive both cars at the same time, and my other car is so worthless the excess covers if I write it off all of which works together to make my insurance extremely affordable. Multicar knocks a surprising amount off - I was amazed at how much I saved over insuring them separately although I did need to pay it upfront.
Reply 11
Original post by GonvilleBromhead
and if the ignition is activated without a key it shuts the ECU off

Isn't that what the immobiliser is?
Original post by CynicalBeing
Wow where do you live?

Hey have you tried marmalade insurance out yet? I'm thinking of getting it however keep getting putt off thinking I might aswell get the years insurance as it works out the same?
Original post by IWMTom
Isn't that what the immobiliser is?

I explained that badly. If they bypass the immobiliser unit, the ECU runs a key chip check and w/out an ignition and appropriate chip it shuts the engine off. So even if they rewire it or remove the immobiliser function it will still immobilise. If that makes sense. It might be a load of BS for all I know, it's in the handbook as extra security features :tongue:
Original post by trinaestella

You may well be paying more than you need to if you're paying in monthly installments. (Many insurance companies charge extra for paying monthly.)

I appreciate you might not have the money to pay the whole year up-front; but it might be something you need to factor in for next year -- either see if you can save up enough to pay the lump sum next year, or at least factor in the additional costs of paying monthly when choosing your insurer.
wait till you're 50 and been driving for more than 20 years
Original post by storm95
wait till you're 50 and been driving for more than 20 years

Lol. True!!!
Just done 30.
My insurance is £96 fully comp on a multi car pplicy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending