username2253227
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I heard that getting into UCL for English (eg) is super, super competitive. Is it the same for MFL???? Because that's the course I'm applying for. I got 8A*2A at GCSE so I have that to help me but is there anything else I can do? how difficult is it to get in ? UCL is my dream uni haha (doing French, English lang/lit and Maths at A-Level)
Tcannon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It depends. For German, entry requirement is AAB, pretty same as peers (Bristol and Warwick). But I heard that for some niche foreign languages (Dutch, Scandinavian, Eastern European languages), entry requirement is not as tough as English. There are fewer applicants for exotic foreign languages.
username2253227
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tcannon)
It depends. For German, entry requirement is AAB, pretty same as peers (Bristol and Warwick). But I heard that for some niche foreign languages (Dutch, Scandinavian, Eastern European languages), entry requirement is not as tough as English. There are fewer applicants for exotic foreign languages.
thanks! I'm hoping to do French and Italian.
Tcannon
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Good luck. This year, UCL doesn't have Modern Languages places in clearing. Whereas King's, Warwick and Bristol had clearing places in French, German and Spanish. This means that the minimum requirement is solid and UCL can fill places in regular application cycle.
username2253227
Rep:
?
that
Good luck. This year, UCL doesn't have Modern Languages places in clearing. Whereas King's, Warwick and Bristol had clearing places in French, German and Spanish. This means that the minimum requirement is solid and UCL can fill places in regular application cycle.
is that good?
Tcannon
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It is good for UCL as it can fill places in regular cycle without going into clearing. It is a sign that MFL at UCL is in demand with competitive entry. Not so good for applicants with AAB or lower.

The good news is that applicants can still get into peer MFL with leftover places in clearing. As a rule of thumb, fewer A-level students take foreign languages A levels. So you can probably get accepted at a good uni. MFL is on average not as uber-competitive as economics where most Russell Group unis such as UCL require A* (maths) and other two As as minimum requirement.
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by moggygeorgieee)
I heard that getting into UCL for English (eg) is super, super competitive. Is it the same for MFL???? Because that's the course I'm applying for. I got 8A*2A at GCSE so I have that to help me but is there anything else I can do? how difficult is it to get in ? UCL is my dream uni haha (doing French, English lang/lit and Maths at A-Level)
UCL is competitive for all subjects, but some (e.g. English, Law, Economics, ESPS) are more competitive than others. But to be honest, this shouldn't be a consideration when deciding where you're going to apply - if you like UCL, then apply.

UCL is never in clearing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
22.3%
Excited but a bit nervous (129)
44.95%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.54%
I'm really nervous (58)
20.21%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed