Should I buy this laptop for my university course

Watch
Freestone123
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am starting University very soon and need a laptop to help with studies and documents ect...
I have no clue when it comes to computers and technology, so , I was wondering if anyone can help me decide if this is the laptop for me. I will be using it for mainly studies, possibly watching videos and using Netflix, and a light touch of gaming if i get any spare time (these wont be high graphics card demanding games).
http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/hewle...es/version.asp

Key Specification
Screen size 15.6in
Processor manufacturer AMD
Processor Model AMD A6
Processor Number 7310
RAM Memory 4GB
Storage 128GB
Operating System Windows 10
Optical Drive DVD-RW
Screen size 15.6in
Processor Model AMD A6
Processor Number 7310
Clock Speed 2.4GHz
RAM Memory 4GB
SSD Capacity 128GB
Graphic Type Integrated
Optical Drive DVD-RW
Operating System Windows 10
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
It should be suitable, although I'd suggest getting an external HDD to go with it. 128 GB isn't that much space, and SSDs get a lot slower when you start nearing their limit, so you want to mainly just keep the OS and core programmes on their and save all your other files (pictures, coursework, etc, etc) to an external. In my experience AMD processors always seem to underperform a little, but given you aren't looking at any serious computational modelling or gaming that probably won't make a difference.

When you say "light gaming" what exactly are you referring to? Many "modern" games won't run very well without a discrete GPU on a laptop, even things that don't seem particularly graphics intensive (for example, Runescape always runs like garbage in those situations in my experience). League of Legends generally fares well (although the new client pretty awful on low specs even with the low spec setting enabled, the game itself runs fine. You may have issues instalocking though...), as do older games like Civ 3, but even things like WoW and Dota 2 will probably not work, or be slow to the point of not being worth playing, on lower spec machines.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (119)
33.9%
Yes - a trusted person (95)
27.07%
No (93)
26.5%
I'm not sure (44)
12.54%

Watched Threads