Turn on thread page Beta

harder than gcse's watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i was wondering how much harder do people think gcse's are more than a-levels :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [email protected])
    i was wondering how much harder do people think gcse's are more than a-levels :eek:
    i think alevels are much harder than gcses.

ReputationRep:
    depends on the subject and how good you were at the subject at gcse. a lot of very bright people are already alevel standard at gcse, so alevel isn't a huge jump for them.

ReputationRep:
    I got a B average at GCSE and haven't noticed much of a jump to A's at AS level other than effort required.

ReputationRep:
    Gcse's are dead easy, in comparison to A-Levels

Ull find those people who do really well at A-Level or even get B's/C's didnt even revise for gcse's but got A*'s and A's.

Its just a way to seperate Higher Education from the Apprentiship/16 yo job people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neas)
    Gcse's are dead easy, in comparison to A-Levels

Ull find those people who do really well at A-Level or even get B's/C's didnt even revise for gcse's but got A*'s and A's.

Its just a way to seperate Higher Education from the Apprentiship/16 yo job people.
    I didn't revise for GCSE or AS and got an average of B from 11 GCSEs and averaged an A from AS levels. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Most kids can do 9 or more GCSEs concurrently, so they can't be that hard. Fewer people can manage even 3 or more A levels concurrently.
    There was a section in my local paper about exam success with A levels and it said these 2 people got 5As at A level. They never said which A levels they were and if they did them over 1, 2 or 3 years etc. For all I know it could be over 3 years involving mickey mouse subjects and quite a few retakes

(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    There was a section in my local paper about exam success with A levels and it said these 2 people got 5As at A level. They never said which A levels they were and if they did them over 1, 2 or 3 years etc. For all I know it could be over 3 years involving mickey mouse subjects and quite a few retakes
    9 people at my school got 5As, mainly in maths/science subjects with one in general studies. over 2 years like most people. it's hardly an unprecedented achievement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    9 people at my school got 5As, mainly in maths/science subjects with one in general studies. over 2 years like most people. it's hardly an unprecedented achievement.
    Yeah, or if you did Edexcel maths last year you could do 3 A levels in maths then perhaps A level physics and whatever next. If the A levels were different to each other like history, maths, foreign language that might show a good all-rounder.

Whilst you say the above is not an unprecedented achievement, I still think it's a good achievement.

Yeah, or if you did Edexcel maths last year you could do 3 A levels in maths then perhaps A level physics and whatever next. If the A levels were different to each other like history, maths, foreign language that might show a good all-rounder.

Whilst you say the above is not an unprecedented achievement, I still think it's a good achievement.
    yes, i agree. my point was that with the 2 people in your paper - its not exactly impossible that they got their 5As in respected subjects over 2 years etc.

plus, if you want to do something like a science course at uni, there aren't many places that would have you with just one science A-level, Choosing A-levels across the board in maths, history, foreign language etc is not a good strategy for getting onto quite a few uni courses.

no one at my school did triple maths, by the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    Choosing A-levels across the board in maths, history, foreign language etc is not a good strategy for getting onto quite a few uni courses.
    Perhaps but it can work well for others apparently, like applying for law. No idea why that is, suggestiosn were put forward on UKL but it's nothing big.

(Original post by crana)
    no one at my school did triple maths, by the way.
    Unsurprisingly :rolleyes:

Perhaps but it can work well for others apparently, like applying for law. No idea why that is, suggestiosn were put forward on UKL but it's nothing big.

Unsurprisingly :rolleyes:
    yes, but you seemed to be implying that doing triple maths plus physics etc was some kind of easy way to clock up 5 As and that doing varied subjects would be more impressive to show a good all-rounder

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    you seemed to be implying that doing triple maths plus physics etc was some kind of easy way to clock up 5 As and that doing varied subjects would be more impressive to show a good all-rounder
    Basically although physics isn't that much related as maths as some people think. I've got a B in it so far but failed maths.

Basically although physics isn't that much related as maths as some people think. I've got a B in it so far but failed maths.
    So what are you saying? Doing maths with physics is an "easy way" to get As, or not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    So what are you saying? Doing maths with physics is an "easy way" to get As, or not?
    For those who have a natural ability in mathematics, taking as many A levels in maths is an easy way.

For those who have a natural ability in mathematics, taking as many A levels in maths is an easy way.
    That wasn't what I asked, was it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    Doing maths with physics is an "easy way" to get As, or not?
    Depends on the person concerned.

I am also wondering why you think doing physics and maths is an easy way to get As when you failed one and are on a B in the other...

if it's because, as you suggested, it's only an easy way if you are good at maths - why did you take these subjects if you aren't ?!

Depends on the person concerned.
    For a typical person?

(Original post by PhilipsCDRW)
    Using the A3 is an easy way to get to Guildford for car drivers. Using the train is an easy way to get to Guildford for non-drivers. A friend of mine got 13 A* at GCSE and 4 A at A-level, in Physics, Maths, Chemistry, and Further Maths IIRC, and also two Distinctions at AEA (which stands for Additional Educational Award or Always Earning A's or something similar). But no-one had seen him for years while he was studying those subjects.
    several of my friends got 4 or 5 As plus AEAs etc and they all do lots of stuff out of school, have boyfriends, jobs, go out often,whatever.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.