Forty65
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I have no idea what the difference is between them I thought they were the same thing. I did Computer Science at GCSE and then realised that they are different after I chose Computing for A-Level, need help
Forty65
Rep:
?
Anyone?
Joe1000000
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
At A Level there is no difference.
Maivnek
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Not sure, but think that computer science is more theoretical. Computing is more about computers as a whole, i.e. hardware+software, while computer science only deals with software. Not sure though...
Katy Kim
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi, I study computer science A level and we cover both theoretical stuff and programming but I heard computing A level is more about hardware stuff (like how computers work) Do you have a choice between computer science and computing A level?
Tuffyandtab
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
They are the same thing I believe. They have changed the name from computing to computer science recently.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think they're just different titles used by different exam boards.

It shouldn't be difficult to find the relevant course specifications and compare them. I imagine they'll be largely similar between exam boards.

If you're considering pursuing Computer Science at university, it would be recommended to take Further Maths.
Forty65
Rep:
?
(Original post by Katy Kim)
Hi, I study computer science A level and we cover both theoretical stuff and programming but I heard computing A level is more about hardware stuff (like how computers work) Do you have a choice between computer science and computing A level?
I would have to go to another college or sixthform, but is it worth it?
Katy Kim
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Forty65)
I would have to go to another college or sixthform, but is it worth it?
That's what I've seen in AQA website for both computing and computer science A level. But I recently heard they're getting rid of computing and keep computer science only. Go to your exam board website and look through both specifications if there are.

I would say moving to another college just because of this issue is not a good idea. If you are happy with your current college like location, other curriculum, teachers.. etc, stick to computing A level as both of them are recognised by unis.
Forty65
Rep:
?
(Original post by Katy Kim)
That's what I've seen in AQA website for both computing and computer science A level. But I recently heard they're getting rid of computing and keep computer science only. Go to your exam board website and look through both specifications if there are.

I would say moving to another college just because of this issue is not a good idea. If you are happy with your current college like location, other curriculum, teachers.. etc, stick to computing A level as both of them are recognised by unis.
I agree with you I probably wont move college. I can tell by AQA website that A-Level computing looks outdated and has less units and topics than computer science. But if they are both recognised by unis then it should take me to the path I want.
thegalaxy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I know that on OCR the old spec GCSE/A-level was called Computing but the new specs are called Computer Science. I don't think there's much difference
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ofqual decided Computing should be renamed Computer Science so one has replaced the other. The GCSe and A levels in Computing have now been completely phased out and only the new Computer Science specifications are available. If anywhere is still offering an A level in Computing then it will actually be Computer Science.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (609)
33.76%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (756)
41.91%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (359)
19.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (80)
4.43%

Watched Threads