The Student Room Group

Is further maths work it?

Hello, i have just started sixth form and i am thinking of dropping chemistry for further maths but is further maths worth switching to or should i just do 3 A-levels or stick to the current 4?
(Current - Maths, Physics, chemistry, computer science)
Depends what courses you would want to do.
Original post by Regi Vaineikis
Hello, i have just started sixth form and i am thinking of dropping chemistry for further maths but is further maths worth switching to or should i just do 3 A-levels or stick to the current 4?
(Current - Maths, Physics, chemistry, computer science)

Maybe swap computer science for further maths as even if you want to do computer science at university, which is what i assume you want to do, then it will help your application a lot more than computer science at A-level.
Original post by Charliewiz
Maybe swap computer science for further maths as even if you want to do computer science at university, which is what i assume you want to do, then it will help your application a lot more than computer science at A-level.

Im loving comp science at i can easily get a hight grade in it think, (im good at chem but i find it kinda boring but idk weather it would be worth just dropping it for further maths.)
Im loving comp science at i can easily get a hight grade in it think, (im good at chem but i find it kinda boring but idk weather it would be worth just dropping it for further maths.)

DO you want to do computer science at university?
DO you want to do computer science at university?

Yes, probably
Yes, probably

Further maths would be really useful for computer science so it'd probably be better if you switched chemistry for further maths.
If you want to do compsci at uni and you think you can handle further maths then definitely do it instead of chem. You have to be able to handle it though, what did you get at GCSE?
Further maths would be really useful for computer science so it'd probably be better if you switched chemistry for further maths.

Ok, ty. do you think it would be worth doing those 4 (maths, further, physics and comp) or just doing 3(maths, physics adn comp) because i have heard that doing 4 has not much real value. some people also say that getting A*AA is better than getting AAAB/A*AAB.

is this true?
Original post by D3LLI5
If you want to do compsci at uni and you think you can handle further maths then definitely do it instead of chem. You have to be able to handle it though, what did you get at GCSE?

A* in maths and physics, A in Biology and chem, B in R.E, Geography, ICT (messed up test i think :/ cos i got A* in mocks and A i cw), German, C in eng lang and d in eng lit
Ok, ty. do you think it would be worth doing those 4 (maths, further, physics and comp) or just doing 3(maths, physics adn comp) because i have heard that doing 4 has not much real value. some people also say that getting A*AA is better than getting AAAB/A*AAB.

is this true?

It all depends really on what you can handle. Maths and further maths are linked quite heavily and they lead on from one and another so doing 4 including further maths and maths would be less work than doing four different subjects.
A* in maths and physics, A in Biology and chem, B in R.E, Geography, ICT (messed up test i think :/ cos i got A* in mocks and A i cw), German, C in eng lang and d in eng lit

Why did you get the lower grades in the non-mathsy subjects?
Original post by D3LLI5

Because people are good at different things??? I find maths and science easier than other subjects.
Original post by D3LLI5

Its not that they are less mathsy its more that i just hated them and didn't care about them so i just didn't revise them and dindnt try as hard as i should have in class.
(edited 6 years ago)
Its not that they are less mathsy thing its more that i just hated and didn't care about them so i just didn't revise them as much.

In that case I would advise taking the 4 (maths, further maths, phys and compsci) if your teachers support it
(edited 6 years ago)

is this true?

Doing more than three is not worth it UNLESS the fourth option is Further Maths.

FM is the exception to the rule, and always has been. Additionally Maths + FM is usually considered to be less work than 2 separate A-levels by students taking the combination, often referred to as being 1.5 subjects of work.

Taking Further Maths would be more valuable than Chemistry, and is better to take as a 4th option than only take 3 as far as applying to CS is concerned (also most branches of Engineering, as well as Physics and Mathematics).

Quick Reply

Latest