How many GCSEs are you doing? Watch

username2899906
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm doing 9 and the RS short course. Will this make any difference in the future when others might have done more?
laurawatt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm only doing nine because that's all my school offers
I don't think it will affect much. A levels are what really matter to universities
username2899906
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by laurawatt)
I'm only doing nine because that's all my school offers
I don't think it will affect much. A levels are what really matter to universities

My school offers 10, but only if you stay back for the RS full course and I'm not staying after school for RS.
Thrillanthropist
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Goldfish4343)
I'm doing 9 and the RS short course. Will this make any difference in the future when others might have done more?

I'm doing 11: my school offers 10 and I'm doing French externally

Of the said 10, RE is compulsory anyway
thotproduct
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did 13 GCSEs (2 of them were fluent language GCSEs which I did myself, 1 was Additional Maths, an optional Free Standing Qualification, there were 10 mandatory)

I finished my GCSEs (the first 9-1 exams for Maths and English!) this year, and honestly, it makes absolutely zero difference, if anyone actually looks at your GCSEs if at all, they'll only want to know if you got good grades in the ones you did, not mediocre grades in a lot of them, all that matters is you get to post-16 education, i.e A Levels, where they ACTUALLY count.
Thrillanthropist
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Goldfish4343)
What's important is your A-levels. However, since more A-levels are now linear (so we don't sit AS) remember that the only official grades you'll have when applying to Uni will be your GCSEs, which makes your Grades and their consistency even more important. Nonetheless, subject-wise, it's your A-levels that matter, so don't stress about doing fewer GCSEs than others and just focus on getting really good grades on the 9 you do sit
hoixw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My school offer up to 12 (You can do PE Theory after school in y11, although they do it in school in year 10), and i am doing 11. I initially took PE but now I am dropping it, it's useless for someone who wants to do CS at uni.
username2359841
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
GCSE grades aren't totally irrelevant, but collecting as many as possible is. I think a lot of sixth forms will only take students if they have 5 A*-C grade GCSEs (certainly that was the case for the sixth form I briefly attended), and of those 5 you should have Maths, English and one science.

But yeah, don't get hung up on getting "enough" GCSEs. There isn't really any tangible difference in your employability or the way universities view you between having 8, 9, 10 or however many GCSEs. Just do your best and get the best grades you can for the GCSEs that you will get.
Jeana99
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No it doesn't matter A level's are the ones which really matter to universities. I did 10 GCSE's (sat exams in 2016 all under old spec) got 6B's and 4C's (quite low grades).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.54%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (69)
15.44%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (84)
18.79%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (180)
40.27%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.7%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.26%