B1274 - Mandatory Food Hygiene Rating Scheme Act 2017 Watch

This discussion is closed.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
B1274 - Mandatory Food Hygiene Rating Scheme Act 2017, The Rt. Hon. LifeIsFine MP
Mandatory Food Hygiene Rating Act 2017

An ACT TO: uphold food safety standards, and to ensure the consumer is fully informed of the hygiene of institutions they buy food at.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's [King's] most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1 Definitions
(1) A “food outlet” is defined as any business directly involved in the selling of goods intended for consumption, including but not restricted to: restaurants, pubs, cafes, takeaways, hotels and supermarkets.
(2) Local Authorities are defined as the devolved bodies responsible for funding for Fire and Public Safety as outlined in B886.
(3) A Food Hygiene Rating is defined as a numerical value from the ratings 0-5 given to a food shop by a food safety officer under the remit of the Food Standards Agency, sent by the relevant local authorities.
(4) The Food Standards Agency is a non ministerial government department responsible for the protection of public health in relation to food in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, with a remit including but not limited to the enforcement of Food Hygiene Ratings Scheme.

2 Enforcement
(1) All food outlets must display their food hygiene rating on the doors of their building.
(i) If the food outlet resists or refuses to do this they will be subject to the provisions of section 3 of this act.
(2) The Food Standards Agency must provide the local authorities with further grants required to carry out inspections in cases where funding is inadequate.

3 Punishment
(1) Any food outlet refusing to display their food standards rating shall be subject to fine set by the relevant local authorities.

4 Extent
This Act extends to the England.

5 Commencements
The provisions of this Act come into force on 1st January 2019.

Spoiler:
Show
Notes
The reasons for this act are clear: the economic burden of foodborne illness was estimated a vast sum of £1.6 Billion in 2012/13 (All links provided below) and this act should go someway to eliminating this amount as consumers will be fully informed of the hygiene ratings of the establishments they enter. A problem with the current voluntary system in England is the fact that it is mainly businesses with higher 4 or 5 ratings putting it up, while businesses with low ratings tend not to- only 12 percent do so across England, and only 43 percent of food outlets overall. This legislation should eradicate this issue, and brings us in line with the rest of the United Kingdom. This scheme has the support of businesses, with 75 percent of businesses saying mandatory ratings would be a “very good thing” or a “fairly good thing”, as well as 87 percent of consumers expressing support for the scheme in recent surveys. When the scheme was enacted in Wales, it appears there were minimal further costs with food standards improving.
https://www.food.gov.uk/sites/defaul...ay-england.pdf
(Whole pdf very informative, pages 4 to 13 especially so).
https://www.food.gov.uk/sites/defaul...forum-fhrs.pdf
I am well aware that the bill in its current form is not perfect, and may never be, so advice is much appreciated.

LifeIsFine
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I will say that with some thought on the bill I've found a potentially much easier way of doing it (As in one line) and yet at the same time making the legislation bounds better, by extending the extent of the acts in place in Wales and Northern Ireland already.
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The provisions of this Act have been passed by the Conservative-Liberal V975 Food Hygiene Rating Display Bill in April 2016. I believed LifeIsFine was a member who would have researched bills in the Hansard to see if an idea had been done before. Rakas21 this bill has been done before; the bill should be in rejected submissions.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
(Original post by LifeIsFine)
I will say that with some thought on the bill I've found a potentially much easier way of doing it (As in one line) and yet at the same time making the legislation bounds better, by extending the extent of the acts in place in Wales and Northern Ireland already.
It appears that Nige is correct and the only real thing this bill adds is the provision in 2.2.

You can either release a second reading amending that into B975 (along with any new ideas) or this bill must be withdrawn.

(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
The provisions of this Act have been passed by the Conservative-Liberal V975 Food Hygiene Rating Display Bill in April 2016. I believed LifeIsFine was a member who would have researched bills in the Hansard to see if an idea had been done before. Rakas21 this bill has been done before; the bill should be in rejected submissions.
Your memory of such shall we say obscure bills is impressive. Thanks.
LifeIsFine
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
It appears that Nige is correct and the only real thing this bill adds is the provision in 2.2.

You can either release a second reading amending that into B975 (along with any new ideas) or this bill must be withdrawn.

Your memory of such shall we say obscure bills is impressive. Thanks.
Sigh, I must be pretty unlucky to have had a similar idea to a bill in Hansard twice- it has been a while since I last submitted a bill so I did gloss over the checking part. Many apologies to you Rakas, and a thank you to Nigel Farage MEP for his timely interjection, which I can assure will never have to happen again (at least this year).

I may simply extend the provisions of the wales and NI acts as they have far more content than the bill from the Con-Lib coalition, but I am happy to have this withdrawn.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
The provisions of this Act have been passed by the Conservative-Liberal V975 Food Hygiene Rating Display Bill in April 2016.
I thought I remembered this already being passed.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Already done, and this looks like a green bill
username2080673
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Not much to say, just like quite a lot of other things which have been put forward in recent history.
Mr T 999
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well this bill has been withdrawn so no point in me commenting. I would just like to point out Mr Speaker that LIF is not a RT.Hon
Gladstone1885
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Withdrawn, but nay. I'd support a law to require the rating be produced on demand by the customer, but not displayed
That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Isn't this exactly what just passed in real life?
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by That Bearded Man)
Isn't this exactly what just passed in real life?
I believe it's what is being proposed, not actually done yet, and as already pointed out has already been done in the MHoC

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rakas21
Rep:
?
This bill has hereby been withdrawn.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever accessed mental health support services at University?

Yes (47)
24.74%
No, but I have thought about it (51)
26.84%
No (92)
48.42%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed