The Student Room Group

Can Unis see retakes for GCSE?

I want to voluntarily retake maths as I was placed in higher tier 5 weeks before the exam. I got a 5, but I know that I can do better. May I retake it and will universities look down on me for doing so?
Original post by Sebastian1299
I want to voluntarily retake maths as I was placed in higher tier 5 weeks before the exam. I got a 5, but I know that I can do better. May I retake it and will universities look down on me for doing so?

Yes, and I don't know the answer to the 2nd one
No the GCSE Grade you get is overwritten by the new grade, and thats what the exam board recongnise you got. The only way a university would know is if you told them as they're only gonna see and know about the ones you give them.
Original post by Sebastian1299

Yes you can retake though you would normally be required to pay for it, if you do it then I'd recommend during the november exams so it doesn't get in the way of your sixth form study.
In general universities are not heavily influenced by a single GCSE grade and when it was obtained.
You are required to tell them your original result and your resit result when you fill in your UCAS application.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Popsiclez
No the GCSE Grade you get is overwritten by the new grade, and thats what the exam board recongnise you got. The only way a university would know is if you told them as they're only gonna see and know about the ones you give them.

This is incorrect. You are required to enter all qualifications and attempts into your UCAS form which universities will see. If you don't your application may be declared fraudulent and any offers or places can be withdrawn.
Some universities will view it negatively that you retook but if you swap tiers then I suspect most will be more accepting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Lemur14
This is incorrect. You are required to enter all qualifications and attempts into your UCAS form which universities will see. If you don't your application may be declared fraudulent and any offers or places can be withdrawn.

Posted from TSR Mobile

o well i guess your right then.

Quick Reply

Latest