The Student Room Group

Questions from a foreigner.. need information ASAP

Hi guys, I'm in my fourth and final year of high school in Canada right now and I'm planning to move to England next year and continue going to school there. I won't meet the requirements for university yet so I want to start off by going to sixth form college. I'm just really confused because we don't do GCSE's here and those are usually required for sixth form, so I don't know what I would have to do. Would I still have to take GCSE's when I get there? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
It'll probably be fine if you've done a GCSE equivalent. Maybe check with an exam board or school you're interested in to double check.
Reply 2
What would be an example of a GCSE equivalent?
Original post by emiliac1231
What would be an example of a GCSE equivalent?

GCSE's mean you qualify for A-levels, which you might need for uni. So a GCSE equivalent might mean some exit exam to go from one year (high school grade level) to the next. How old are you? If you're 14-16 you'd probably need credits for taking GCSE subjects and the exams to advance. If you're 17 and older then whatever exit exam you take if you pass and can leave high school, should be enough for university I think. I'm sure once you get here your school wherever you get accepted will tell you.
Reply 4
I'll be 17 in 8 days. I'm graduating high school this year but I won't have the right requirements to get into uni yet because there's certain credits that i need that i haven't got and won't be able to get, so i'd need to go to college first.
Reply 5
Hi guys, I'm in my fourth and final year of high school in Canada right now and I'm planning to move to England next year and continue going to school there. I won't meet the requirements for university yet so I want to start off by going to sixth form college. I'm just really confused because we don't do GCSE's here and those are usually required for sixth form, so I don't know what I would have to do. Would I still have to take GCSE's when I get there? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

What age and grade are you? I assume you are 15. Do you sit public exams at the end of this year? If so, that's probably the equivalent of GCSE.
Reply 6
I'm almost 17 and in grade 12 (senior year). I do take exams at the end of each semester.

Is there any compelling reason for you to leave Canada that prevents you from completing your required credits there?
If your family are paying for your sixth form education then there are private schools and tutorial colleges in most major cities that will be willing to accept you and prepare you for A levels. You would avoid potential problems in your future education and employment plans if you also completed GCSEs in English language and maths.
If your hope is to join a free state sixth form to complete your education it is is going to be more challenging.

Quick Reply

Latest