The Student Room Group

Legacy resits

I have been contacted by a student who achieved a D in her maths GCSE in both June 2016 and June 2017. She wants to retake the exam again to try and get a C and has asked me to help her. My understanding is that she can no longer resit the legacy papers. Can someone please confirm that? My next question is, could she sit an IGCSE paper in November as these appear to be easier than the new GCSEs?
Original post by Towcestermaths
I have been contacted by a student who achieved a D in her maths GCSE in both June 2016 and June 2017. She wants to retake the exam again to try and get a C and has asked me to help her. My understanding is that she can no longer resit the legacy papers. Can someone please confirm that? My next question is, could she sit an IGCSE paper in November as these appear to be easier than the new GCSEs?

You are right, the legacy specification is no longer available in England.
It's possible to sit CIE or Edexcel igcse as an alternative. Edexcel igcse is in January.
I'm not sure i'd agree that the new 9-1 exams are that much more difficult than the legacy specification, especially considering the low grade boundaries. All of my weaker/borderline students achieved at least a 4 and several got a 5 on foundation exams. Practice resources are less readily available and it might be challenging to get someone ready for November if they have not done 9-1 before, most students are finding the problem solving questions difficult.
(edited 6 years ago)
i'm re sitting the igcse maths exam ( i got a C first time but i wanna get an A) my school said i have to do it in January and thats the last ever time you can do it . Ask your 6th form college

Quick Reply

Latest