The Student Room Group

Lost my national insurance letter!

Okay, so I am 16 and have just finished high school. I have applied for a job at McDonalds, and they said that I need two documents to prove my eligibility to work and since I lost my national letter, all I have is my birth certificate and the number itself. I can't sign up for a Personal Tax Account, because they said they don't have enough information to confirm my identity. Can anybody help me?

Scroll to see replies

you damn idiot
Original post by Kat_Phantom
Okay, so I am 16 and have just finished high school. I have applied for a job at McDonalds, and they said that I need two documents to prove my eligibility to work and since I lost my national letter, all I have is my birth certificate and the number itself. I can't sign up for a Personal Tax Account, because they said they don't have enough information to confirm my identity. Can anybody help me?

Only one solution: You have to find your national insurance letter.

I lost mine too recently and after searching thoroughly in my house, I managed to find it. Spend some time trying to find it as it is an important piece of document.
Reply 3
Original post by Ukvoltaire
Only one solution: You have to find your national insurance letter.

I lost mine too recently and after searching thoroughly in my house, I managed to find it. Spend some time trying to find it as it is an important piece of document.

Unfortuantely, I got my letter one year ago this month, so it is highly unlikely I will find it (not to mention I have already tried looking)

But thank you for the help :smile:
Phone the DWP
Reply 5

https://www.gov.uk/lost-national-insurance-number

Phone the helpline.
Reply 6
Original post by araolopes
my name is ********* my national insurance number is ************ lost my letter and now i have new address i want change my address i have new address now *********

why would you post your personal information here?! Remove it quickly!
Reply 7
I know you posted this a year ago but worry not! To anyone who has lost their national insurance letter (obviously applying to younger people since we were never goven cards) then you can view your letter on gov.uk. You need to make that government getaway account and once you have made it you will be able to print off your national insurance letter from there and even save it to your computer. I have an interview on Monday and was told to bring my letter ao i had a mini panic attack. But luckily I have it now. Don't go using that service rubbish where they charge you like 30 quid to have it sent to you. You can get it for free once you make the tax account on gov.uk.
Reply 8
can you link me to this page?
Reply 9
nevermind i found the page on my own, you are a life saver 😘
Original post by Taetu
I know you posted this a year ago but worry not! To anyone who has lost their national insurance letter (obviously applying to younger people since we were never goven cards) then you can view your letter on gov.uk. You need to make that government getaway account and once you have made it you will be able to print off your national insurance letter from there and even save it to your computer. I have an interview on Monday and was told to bring my letter ao i had a mini panic attack. But luckily I have it now. Don't go using that service rubbish where they charge you like 30 quid to have it sent to you. You can get it for free once you make the tax account on gov.uk.
How do I do this I don’t have a passport so it won’t let me create an account
Reply 11
Original post by Louisejxxx
How do I do this I don’t have a passport so it won’t let me create an account

You don't need a passport.
Mine says it does
Reply 13
Mine says it does

Then you're doing it wrong.
No I’m not it gets to the bit where it says do you have a valid uk passport and I don’t have one so I click no then it says about my address so I put it in then it loads and says it can’t go no further as they can’t prove my identity
I’ve lost mine about three times
Watch me get a new one and lose it too

Unlike a lot of deterministic, unhelpful "just find the letter" replies, you should know that you are fully able to receive a new letter documenting the number. I had lost mine several years ago and recovered it through contacting the right governmental department. It'll be as simple as googling that you've lost it and going on from there.

Best of luck with the job.
How long did it take for your new one to arrive
Reply 19
No I’m not it gets to the bit where it says do you have a valid uk passport and I don’t have one so I click no then it says about my address so I put it in then it loads and says it can’t go no further as they can’t prove my identity

Do you have a UK driving licence or a payslip?

Quick Reply

Latest