The Student Room Group

PGCE Questions for next year

Hi!

I'm wanting to do my PGCE next year and I had a couple of questions.

The PGCE I'm wanting to apply for is Post-14, am I right in thinking this is to teach years 9-11? What would I do if I wanted to teach Post-16 in the future?

It is also a part time course, and I was wondering if anyone had any experience of doing a PGCE part time and the work load?

Thanks in advance.
Original post by fevvy94
Hi!

I'm wanting to do my PGCE next year and I had a couple of questions.

The PGCE I'm wanting to apply for is Post-14, am I right in thinking this is to teach years 9-11? What would I do if I wanted to teach Post-16 in the future?

It is also a part time course, and I was wondering if anyone had any experience of doing a PGCE part time and the work load?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, that will allow you to teach year 9/10 and above. This actually also includes sixth form (post-16), since it is with students aged 14 and over.

Try not to go with that degree. I recommend you consider an ordinary secondary PGCE as this will give you the best experience. With this, you can teach year 7 to 11, plus you can elect to teach sixth form (post 16) with this route too. It gives you better future prospects.

Once you have a PGCE, you are free to teach all sorts of year groups, but you might be limited with a PGCE Post-14/16.

Not too sure about part time routes, but if you can, go for full-time. Again, you'll be at an advantage, gaining a fuller experience.

It seems to me you are taking the easy route into teaching, but try to not tie yourself to a particular age group. You might not enjoy it and you'll wish you did the proper degree!

I obviously do not know your reasons for choosing this particular PGCE or why you want to go part time, but its your choice at the end of the day :smile:

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by computed
Yes, that will allow you to teach year 9/10 and above. This actually also includes sixth form (post-16), since it is with students aged 14 and over.

Try not to go with that degree. I recommend you consider an ordinary secondary PGCE as this will give you the best experience. With this, you can teach year 7 to 11, plus you can elect to teach sixth form (post 16) with this route too. It gives you better future prospects.

Once you have a PGCE, you are free to teach all sorts of year groups, but you might be limited with a PGCE Post-14/16.

Not too sure about part time routes, but if you can, go for full-time. Again, you'll be at an advantage, gaining a fuller experience.

It seems to me you are taking the easy route into teaching, but try to not tie yourself to a particular age group. You might not enjoy it and you'll wish you did the proper degree!

I obviously do not know your reasons for choosing this particular PGCE or why you want to go part time, but its your choice at the end of the day :smile:

Spoiler

Thank you for replying. I only really want to teach 14+, not lower, so I was more concerned that this would limit me to teaching that age group and nothing higher. Personal circumstances make me inclined to go for a part-time route so there's not much wiggle room on that one I'm afraid.
I'll take needy Y7s over hormonal Y9s any day! :smile:

But more seriously, in the UK, there is no longer any concept of 14 and over education as the Middle Schools have all but been abolished. So you are realistically looking at teaching in a college or sixth form. Just a thought!
I teach Social Science and avoided the Post-14 PGCE as I wanted to work in a school not a college.

Schools pay more, colleges are pro-rata (pay less) and mature students aren't always better. The only downside is that sometimes I have to teach RE to Year 7.

Avoid part-time. Get it over with. Complete your NQT year part-time, not your training year.

Quick Reply

Latest