The Student Room Group

How to revise for A-level Chemistry?

How are you going to be revising or studying for A-level Chemistry? Love to hear replies from people who just started the course or students from Year 13 even Univeristy students.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Practice questions and past papers even for new spec. Old spec relates to it a lot.
Original post by CashBlack
How are you going to be revising or studying for A-level Chemistry? Love to hear replies from people who just started the course or students from Year 13 even Univeristy students.

Personally I loved the CGP revision guides as they covered everything I needed to know! I found they simplified everything really well :smile: Also I suggest putting together a revision timetable. I think this sit has one actually, it was the Get Revising one I used almost four years ago now!
Reply 3
Start revising from the start, take all your mock seriously and dont cheat in them. I planned to finsih first half of all modules by christmas and then the 2nd half by March then the weeks afterwards was just redoing past papers again and again and again. (I did most past papers 4 times).

How i revise is.
Look at the specification sheet. There will be bullet points. Write a paragraph or more about each using information from the exam board accredited textbook. It takes around an hour a topic. (should only be from half an A4 side to 2-3 A4 sides) So takes you 10 days to finsih the first half of the years content (the first unit). Do that for all three subjects and keep the notes very tidy, leave some sapce for edits.

That way you know for a fact youve covered everything in the subject so now its just learning how to use it in exams.
All three subjects in this way takes 15-30 days (I did two topics a day, 1 topic for 2 subjects). per unit.

Now that you have your notes. Read them (takes 30 mins to an hour). Make sure you understand everything. Only remember things in lists if stated so in the spec sheet (eg the only tests you need to remember for chemistry and biology are in the spec, dont remember additional ones or alternative methods if its not on the spec, takes too much room in your head). Now do all the exam papers for that spec (and the previous spec if there arent more than 4-5 papers). and afer you do every single one, mark them extrememly harshly, IF the wording is slightly wrong etc then mark it wrong. No one ccares about your practice paper scores it only matters to you. Now every single thing you get wrong, be it a list of events or marks for a generic photosynthesis advantages question, list everything at the front of the exampaper, (the page where you write your name). Read the front page of every paper before starrting a new paper so you have your notes in your head and the mistakes youve made in the past (and things youve forggotten to mention or maybe didnt spot).
Do all the papers for each subject (takes a day per subject if you dont do anything else at all)

After doing the above do exactly the same for unit 2's then just keep doing exam papers again and again and again. Theres only a few ways examiners can word a question so you just need to learn what to look out for. Always aim for 100% on the exam. If you dont understand why you have tos ay something or why the answer is as it is then ask a teacher. You must undertsand why you have written your answer for every question thoroughly.

Also after youve done the papers all twice then write down the common questions and lists of bullet points on flash cards and read them on the walk home or to college. You can also put all the raw memory stuff on those aswell earlier on the year (all the tests and flame colours etc and equations).

I probably did all the exam papers from my exam board 4 or 5 times. Biology had like 10 past papers for one unit too.

ps i wrote this in a rush so sorry for the bad grammar.

(i got A*A*A in bio chem phys).
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Zahid~
Start revising from the start, take all your mock seriously and dont cheat in them. I planned to finsih first half of all modules by christmas and then the 2nd half by March then the weeks afterwards was just redoing past papers again and again and again. (I did most past papers 4 times).

How i revise is.
Look at the specification sheet. There will be bullet points. Write a paragraph or more about each using information from the exam board accredited textbook. It takes around an hour a topic. (should only be from half an A4 side to 2-3 A4 sides) So takes you 10 days to finsih the first half of the years content (the first unit). Do that for all three subjects and keep the notes very tidy, leave some sapce for edits.

That way you know for a fact youve covered everything in the subject so now its just learning how to use it in exams.
All three subjects in this way takes 15-30 days (I did two topics a day, 1 topic for 2 subjects). per unit.

Now that you have your notes. Read them (takes 30 mins to an hour). Make sure you understand everything. Only remember things in lists if stated so in the spec sheet (eg the only tests you need to remember for chemistry and biology are in the spec, dont remember additional ones or alternative methods if its not on the spec, takes too much room in your head). Now do all the exam papers for that spec (and the previous spec if there arent more than 4-5 papers). and afer you do every single one, mark them extrememly harshly, IF the wording is slightly wrong etc then mark it wrong. No one ccares about your practice paper scores it only matters to you. Now every single thing you get wrong, be it a list of events or marks for a generic photosynthesis advantages question, list everything at the front of the exampaper, (the page where you write your name). Read the front page of every paper before starrting a new paper so you have your notes in your head and the mistakes youve made in the past (and things youve forggotten to mention or maybe didnt spot).
Do all the papers for each subject (takes a day per subject if you dont do anything else at all)

After doing the above do exactly the same for unit 2's then just keep doing exam papers again and again and again. Theres only a few ways examiners can word a question so you just need to learn what to look out for. Always aim for 100% on the exam. If you dont understand why you have tos ay something or why the answer is as it is then ask a teacher. You must undertsand why you have written your answer for every question thoroughly.

Also after youve done the papers all twice then write down the common questions and lists of bullet points on flash cards and read them on the walk home or to college. You can also put all the raw memory stuff on those aswell earlier on the year (all the tests and flame colours etc and equations).

I probably did all the exam papers from my exam board 4 or 5 times. Biology had like 10 past papers for one unit too.

Hi!
I know this post is a little old but I have a question for you. How did you structure your time well enough to do all that you did??
Did you sleep late every night? Or were you just really quick?
Also do you have any tips for someone who really struggles to understand chemistry?
Thanks x
Reply 5
Original post by pfdavina
Hi!
I know this post is a little old but I have a question for you. How did you structure your time well enough to do all that you did??
Did you sleep late every night? Or were you just really quick?
Also do you have any tips for someone who really struggles to understand chemistry?
Thanks x

Time for what? For revision it only took 3 or 4 hours max a day. Sometimes I only had college for as little as 3 or 4 hours so it was easy to fit in. The time for past papers was done from mid afternoon till night, usually weekends. It really depends on how you spend your day. I only went to college then went straight home so I had lots of time.
I did sleep late some nights cause I left it till the evening or it was a long topic. Don't try doing things fast or allocating time slots. Just focus on finishing the topic (understanding it completely) no matter how long it takes.
What aspect of chemistry is difficult to understand?
Original post by Zahid~
Time for what? For revision it only took 3 or 4 hours max a day. Sometimes I only had college for as little as 3 or 4 hours so it was easy to fit in. The time for past papers was done from mid afternoon till night, usually weekends. It really depends on how you spend your day. I only went to college then went straight home so I had lots of time.
I did sleep late some nights cause I left it till the evening or it was a long topic. Don't try doing things fast or allocating time slots. Just focus on finishing the topic (understanding it completely) no matter how long it takes.
What aspect of chemistry is difficult to understand?

Wow that is interesting, because when I study I find I lack productivity. Even if I am stirring studying for 5 hours the product of that is very little - I'm just really slow...
How did you study intensely?

Also in terms of chemistry I struggle with PH ( just the knowing what to do in the maths questions ), and understanding things in enough depth to answer exam questions is difficult.

Is there any exam technique you used?
Reply 7
hey! if you're struggling with PH I suggest them revise (their acid buffers and base pdf) learn that it shows you some amazing examples - then practice questions on physics and maths tutor. hope this helps Neesha :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Zahid~

How i revise is.

Hello Zahid,
First of all congratulations on for your results they are amazing, honestly I would kill for results like that 😉.
I wanted to ask you did you do the new Chemistry Alevel specification (the 2015 and onwards)?Also what exam boards were you with?
I am about to go into year 13 and I am studying : Edexcel Maths, AQA Biology , AQA Chemistry.
Thank you 😊
Reply 9
yes I did the new word from 2015 onwards. I was with AQA for bio and chem. WJEC for physics.
The advice I gave for revision is the same regardless of subject (aslong as it's a science or similar), spec or exam board.
Sorry I know it’s a bit late @Zahid~I do the same exam boards as you and I kinda need help. I’m revising for all of year one stuff, now Iv been told just to go over it quickly and then practice questions. Is that effective? And how did u revise for biology, Iv had a look at some module notes and Iv also been told just to do questions as it’s about exam practice. Shall I do every question on physics and maths tutor and then all the past papers for bio and same for Chem? Also how should I manage my time in year 13?
I’m doing edexcel A level chemistry right now. I have a chapter test on structure and bonding on Monday?? Where can I get past papers and videos to do????? And how do I revise to my maximum potential with only two days. I have two maths tests on the same day as well ://
Original post by June loves pizza
I’m doing edexcel A level chemistry right now. I have a chapter test on structure and bonding on Monday?? Where can I get past papers and videos to do????? And how do I revise to my maximum potential with only two days. I have two maths tests on the same day as well ://

try physics maths tutor for the exam papers.
as for the video, I'm AQA so I don't know
Can you share the notes you did
Original post by Zahid~

How i revise is.

Hey I was wondering how you used the specification for notes, as “the specification at a glance” has all the topics but it doesn’t have everything there is to know about the topic just a few bullet points- surely you would be missing content out unless you used a revision guide ?
Original post by Wingspikee77
Hey I was wondering how you used the specification for notes, as “the specification at a glance” has all the topics but it doesn’t have everything there is to know about the topic just a few bullet points- surely you would be missing content out unless you used a revision guide ?

You can download the full specification and read from there. However, I don't think that writing notes and reading them through is a good way of revising since it's passive revision. Do spend some time reading your specification and make a note of any topics that you don't fully understand. Watch a revision video, ask your teacher or discuss those topics with friends/classmates to clear up any misunderstandings. Other than that, do practice Qs and exam papers. Physics and Maths Tutor has LOADS of exams Qs and past/practice papers. IMO, that is 100% the best way to revise any science subject since wording needs to match the mark scheme and since application is key.

What I did was:

Skim through specification/textbook.
Revision video + notes on difficult topics/topics I've forgotten.
Targeted exam Qs on those topics.
Use mark scheme to write down the correct wording for anything I got wrong.

Practice paper.
Revision video + notes on topics I got the lowest marks on.
Repeat.

Anything that I kept forgetting or wording incorrectly I wrote down onto a piece of paper which I went over right before any exams.
(I got an A* in Chemistry and in Biology for which I revised similarly.)

Good luck :smile:
Original post by kaorimiyazono
You can download the full specification and read from there. However, I don't think that writing notes and reading them through is a good way of revising since it's passive revision. Do spend some time reading your specification and make a note of any topics that you don't fully understand. Watch a revision video, ask your teacher or discuss those topics with friends/classmates to clear up any misunderstandings. Other than that, do practice Qs and exam papers. Physics and Maths Tutor has LOADS of exams Qs and past/practice papers. IMO, that is 100% the best way to revise any science subject since wording needs to match the mark scheme and since application is key.

What I did was:

Skim through specification/textbook.
Revision video + notes on difficult topics/topics I've forgotten.

Practice paper.
Revision video + notes on topics I got the lowest marks on.
Repeat.

Anything that I kept forgetting or wording incorrectly I wrote down onto a piece of paper which I went over right before any exams.
(I got an A* in Chemistry and in Biology for which I revised similarly.)

Where do I find the full specification as I can only find the spec at a glance- could you perhaps link it?
Where do I find the full specification as I can only find the spec at a glance- could you perhaps link it?

Sure :smile: Which specification do you do though?
Original post by kaorimiyazono
Sure :smile: Which specification do you do though?

I do AQA, I have a feeling it’s just the one I was looking at but I presumed there was a more detailed version but your help would be appreciated just to make sure
I do AQA, I have a feeling it’s just the one I was looking at but I presumed there was a more detailed version but your help would be appreciated just to make sure

Here it is :smile:
https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/chemistry/specifications/AQA-7404-7405-SP-2015.PDF

Also, apart from chemguides and Physics and Maths Tutor, I highly recommend these websites too:
https://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk/aqa-a-level-chemistry.html
https://www.studymind.co.uk/resource/aqa-a-level-chemistry/

Quick Reply

Latest