Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Meningitis vaccination before university? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My parents said I apparently already had this vaccine when I was a baby so would I still need to get it again before university?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccina...ccine.aspxThat was possibly for a different strand of meningitis, so if you weren't given a vaccination for it in year 9 or 10 you probably should.

ReputationRep:
    The problem is that the immunity of the meningitis vaccine starts to decrease as we get older. So, being an university student and being exposed to so many people from all over the world means that you are also exposing yourself to contagious diseases, as it is the case with Meningitis (and the bacterial group that causes the disease, Meningococcal C, which might also cause Septicemia or blood poisoning).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redpimpernel)
    The problem is that the immunity of the meningitis vaccine starts to decrease as we get older. So, being an university student and being exposed to so many people from all over the world means that you are also exposing yourself to contagious diseases, as it is the case with Meningitis (and the bacterial group that causes the disease, Meningococcal C, which might also cause Septicemia or blood poisoning).
    So I called up the GP today and the nurse said I need a letter from my university but I don't have one. Should I just show them what's on the uni website?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemmac123455)
    So I called up the GP today and the nurse said I need a letter from my university but I don't have one. Should I just show them what's on the uni website?
    Your acceptance letter on UCAS will be enough proof

ReputationRep:
    Which university? Also, have you already moved into your flat for Freshers? If you have, you can just go down to your uni and talk to either admissions or someone from your Student Union and inform them that you are worried about not being vaccinated for Meningitis. It also depends on when you were born, as those born after 1995 would have been vaccinated as children, whilst those born before this cut-out date were probably vaccinated at school and are still immune to the disease and do not need any bolsters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redpimpernel)
    Which university? Also, have you already moved into your flat for Freshers? If you have, you can just go down to your uni and talk to either admissions or someone from your Student Union and inform them that you are worried about not being vaccinated for Meningitis. It also depends on when you were born, as those born after 1995 would have been vaccinated as children, whilst those born before this cut-out date were probably vaccinated at school and are still immune to the disease and do not need any bolsters.
    QMUL and I'm living at home.

ReputationRep:
    My parents said I apparently already had this vaccine when I was a baby so would I still need to get it again before university?
    Yes, unless you had it at school as it is different to the vaccine you had when you were a baby. I had mine about a week ago.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccina...y-vaccine.aspx

ReputationRep:
    As a baby you were vaccinated against meningitis B.

The vaccine for uni students is against meningitis ACWY.

So, yes, it's different, and you should definitely get it before University.

ReputationRep:
    No it's a new one, you have to get it!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    No you should get it, the vaccines you had as a child only protect again certain strains.
    The one before uni is to protect again meningococcal menigitis. Probably the worst strain.
    Be safe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VMD100)
    Your acceptance letter on UCAS will be enough proof
    Apparently I need a meningitis letter from uni but the closest thing I have is an email or this page: https://www.studenthealth.qmul.ac.uk...is-information

ReputationRep:
    Apparently I need a meningitis letter from uni but the closest thing I have is an email or this page: https://www.studenthealth.qmul.ac.uk...is-information
    It is a different type of vaccine than the one that you would have been given previously. I didn't need a letter from my university, but if they're asking for one either the one that can print off UCAS or you're university may be able to give you proof that you are a student in the form of a letter. At my university we get them from the student hub, you may have something similar at your university?

ReputationRep:
    It's a different strain of meningitis. Previously, this vaccine was low on the radar - there were very few infections, mostly limited to old people in hospitals. Since 2011, there has been a spike in the number of meningitis W infections in freshers, which is why the vaccine is recommended for people starting university (an environment where people from all around the world, with different immunities, live in close quarters... yeah not rocket science to see how infection spreads). You can get them from your GP before you go or upon arrival from your uni nurse.

It's not a bad shot at all compared to some other vaccines. Bacterial meningitis, though rare, is nasty business - an infection in the brain can be deadly and leave neurological damage that a person may never recover from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oswalds)
    It is a different type of vaccine than the one that you would have been given previously. I didn't need a letter from my university, but if they're asking for one either the one that can print off UCAS or you're university may be able to give you proof that you are a student in the form of a letter. At my university we get them from the student hub, you may have something similar at your university?
    Already booked it at my local GP. But they need some proof about a meningitis letter (apparently).

ReputationRep:
    Already booked it at my local GP. But they need some proof about a meningitis letter (apparently).
    Get your GP to write a generic letter saying you've received a meningitis ACWY vaccine at [date] at [GP address]. Then scan it and send it as an email to your uni's contact address.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by auburnstar)
    Get your GP to write a generic letter saying you've received a meningitis ACWY vaccine at [date] at [GP address]. Then scan it and send it as an email to your uni's contact address.
    I meant the GP needs a letter from the university.

ReputationRep:
    I meant the GP needs a letter from the university.
    Have you phoned the GP asking what they require in the letter (wording etc) and then phoned + emailed your uni asking for the letter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by auburnstar)
    Have you phoned the GP asking what they require in the letter (wording etc) and then phoned + emailed your uni asking for the letter?
    I did call them up and all they're saying is a letter. Do you think if I showed them an email which contained the information from this link https://www.studenthealth.qmul.ac.uk...is-information would count?

ReputationRep:
    I did call them up and all they're saying is a letter. Do you think if I showed them an email which contained the information from this link https://www.studenthealth.qmul.ac.uk...is-information would count?
    Send the GP that link via email first (or print it out and give it to them). If they say it's not enough, ask the uni via email/phone for a letter recommending your GP to give you an ACWY meningitis vaccine. (It is odd that the GP practice is not giving the vaccine - it's usually routine for students leaving for uni)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.