The Student Room Group

Clubbing

Hey guys,
So I am an EU student and I will be moving to Wales in two weeks. Where I come from we don't have Freshers week, so I am really apprehensive about the whole event. I am a social person, so I won't have a problem meeting new people, but it's the clubbing that kinda makes me go :s-smilie:. I would appreciate it if you guys would give me some insight as to how the general mood is, prices of drinks, etc. I've heard a lot of people get really drunk and are only looking for a hookup, but I don't want to fall into believing steriotypes, so all honest opinion is welcomed. :smile:
Reply 1
People are just very drunk. You don't have to hookup or get drunk, you can just enjoy a few drinks and dance. Don't pin all your hopes on making friends there, you'll get plenty of opportunity during your time at uni anyway.
Original post by UWS
People are just very drunk. You don't have to hookup or get drunk, you can just enjoy a few drinks and dance. Don't pin all your hopes on making friends there, you'll get plenty of opportunity during your time at uni anyway.

Indeed, in my first clubbing experience two years ago, everyone seemed to ignore me. :getmecoat: :sad: Although I did get to see an overweight girl wearing a mini skirt and mesh tights being carried outside, as she was too drunk to stand up. :teehee:
To be honest, once you've been to one club, you've been to them all.

Some clubs ask for an entry fee and stamp you, don't be surprised if you are asked to show some form of identification. If the bouncers are being right tossers you may be denied entry for no reason, just take it on the chin and move on. Drink prices vary depending on where you go to be honest. Also, expect a lot of egos, just ignore them and try to have a good time. People dance and chat, some get ridiculously drunk and make a fool of themselves. It's nothing special to be honest. I prefer a chilled out bar or pub!
I think clubbing is overrated. The music is all the same, the floors are slightly sticky and you end up very hot a sweaty and often a fair bit poorer. I don't drink so can't help you on the price of alcohol. In terms of what to expect....I don't think there is a standard. Some people go in very casual clothes, some people get done up. Some people want a good dance with their mates whilst others are looking to hook up. It's kind of hard to describe the atmosphere. It's meant to be like a just forget your worries and dance and have a good time but personally I find it stressful and not enjoyable. I'd say try it to see if you like it but if it's not your thing you're not alone!
Freshers week doesn't have to be all about partying- it can be about looking what clubs and societies there are, using the time to get yourself familiar with a new place etc. Where abouts in the EU are you moving from, out of interest?
Reply 5
Been said above, but don't worry yourself, you'll find people of all kinds. Drink or dont just keep an open mind and try to have fun.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Freshers is what you make of it. Remove any preconceived notions. People are people at the end of the day, not everybody will have the same intentions. Relax.
In terms of the clubbing experience, it depends on the people you hang out with. The first few friends that I made aren't particularly massive drinkers but we still have a good time. Whilst it is true that some people do get drunk and hook up, this is not to say everyone is like this, and if you aren't interested, you don't have to do this too. There are normally good deals for drinks, especially on student nights or clubs at the student union.

In terms of Freshers Week as a whole, not everything is clubbing. If you try it once and don't enjoy it, there are other types of events you could attend. When I was there, they had dinners, film nights, bowling and games night. It is all about finding your interests.
You don't even have to go clubbing if you don't want to, there are plenty of other events during the week you can attend. Clubbing is often awful terrible during Freshers week anyway, everywhere is crammed and there's always people trying to flog those overpriced wristbands.
Reply 9
Thank you guys for the answers! I am not much of a drinker, I've gone clubbing mostly for the dancing and having good time with my friends. I might go to a few parties in Freshers, but I have no intention of buying a wristband.

Original post by PollyParrot23

Freshers week doesn't have to be all about partying- it can be about looking what clubs and societies there are, using the time to get yourself familiar with a new place etc. Where abouts in the EU are you moving from, out of interest?

I'm from Bulgaria. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending