Is mixing up halls flat mates age ranges a great solution?

Watch
Bernadette04
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
My 2 sons are off to Uni shortly. One is a 2nd year and the other a fresher. They are attending different Uni's.

Last year when the elder one was a fresher he was put into halls where his flat mates were all Freshers aged 18, mixed sexes, on the same landing, all had en suites but they needed to share the magnificently refurbed kitchen. There were 4 girls and 4 lads.

Within a week the girl's had trashed the kitchen! One of them had broken a window too and yet the entire 8 of them were billed for the mess and the broken window. At the beginning of Freshers Week I had asked my son whether the 8 of them were getting together to discuss allocation of putting out bins, kitchen cleaning jobs etc. He said no one was talking to each other. Apparently this is quite common as no communication is quite widespread. Even after the bill for the kitchen came in only my son and one other lad confronted the girls about the mess and being billed for it.

Ironically, all 4 girls left their courses and Uni by Christmas for overspending and not being able to have the finances to carry on.

My younger son who is starting Uni next week has been allocated a flat which is shared by 6. The Uni have put 3 lads who are all 18 in there and then a mixture of 3 mature students. Both my sons say this is preferable as the mature students won't necessarily put up with messy kitchens and will probably communicate far better than a group of 18 year olds do.

There are pros and cons for both scenarios, but I think an age range which is mixed gets students to appreciate others and the communal space more, and gets all ages talking. What does everyone else think?
Friffinghell
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Bernadette04)
My 2 sons are off to Uni shortly. One is a 2nd year and the other a fresher. They are attending different Uni's.

Last year when the elder one was a fresher he was put into halls where his flat mates were all Freshers aged 18, mixed sexes, on the same landing, all had en suites but they needed to share the magnificently refurbed kitchen. There were 4 girls and 4 lads.

Within a week the girl's had trashed the kitchen! One of them had broken a window too and yet the entire 8 of them were billed for the mess and the broken window. At the beginning of Freshers Week I had asked my son whether the 8 of them were getting together to discuss allocation of putting out bins, kitchen cleaning jobs etc. He said no one was talking to each other. Apparently this is quite common as no communication is quite widespread. Even after the bill for the kitchen came in only my son and one other lad confronted the girls about the mess and being billed for it.

Ironically, all 4 girls left their courses and Uni by Christmas for overspending and not being able to have the finances to carry on.

My younger son who is starting Uni next week has been allocated a flat which is shared by 6. The Uni have put 3 lads who are all 18 in there and then a mixture of 3 mature students. Both my sons say this is preferable as the mature students won't necessarily put up with messy kitchens and will probably communicate far better than a group of 18 year olds do.

There are pros and cons for both scenarios, but I think an age range which is mixed gets students to appreciate others and the communal space more, and gets all ages talking. What does everyone else think?
'Mature students' start at aged 21- so I think a 21 year old still has plenty in common with 18 year olds.

The only con is being 21 and sharing a flat with 18 year olds
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sounds like your older son just had some bad luck.

Also I can't imagine a mature student being very happy being stuck with 5-7 freshers which is what would happen realistically. Those that would probably aren't as sensible as you think.
Bernadette04
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Helloworld_95)
Sounds like your older son just had some bad luck.

Also I can't imagine a mature student being very happy being stuck with 5-7 freshers which is what would happen realistically. Those that would probably aren't as sensible as you think.
I suppose it depends also on how "mature" the mature students are too.

One of the mature students in my younger son's flat is 55, so a lot older than a mature 21year old! I know when my younger son applied for accomodation it actually had a footnote on it aimed at mature students saying "While we will not tolerate excessive noise after 1am, please be aware there are no "quiet" halls and there will be a level of noise generally commensurate with university life.".
pros and cons all round I suppose.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (5)
4.03%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (20)
16.13%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (22)
17.74%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (16)
12.9%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (37)
29.84%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
19.35%

Watched Threads