I need UNIVERSITY advice! Please HELP

Watch this thread
Xo_ltm
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey everyone! I'm really stuck and I don't know what to do..

As you all know, results day was last month, and I was planning on studying marketing, however, I only received 80 UCAS points so I wasn't able to get into my dream uni..

I have now decided to take a gap year, due to the fact that I had an operation on my foot, so it'll be hard for me to get around campus on crutches.. and I also needed more time to prepare myself.

Since results day I've done some research and thinking.. now I've changed my mind about the course I want to study. I now want to study advertising and marketing communications at DMU! However, the UCAS points required are 112 points and I only received 80! I know that I'm 32 points short and I'm really stuck on what I should do! Yes, I've looked at other universities, but they're either really low on the league tables or even higher than 112.

I was thinking of doing a fast track course or something.. or. going back to college but I think it's too late for me to enroll now. And I still haven't recovered from my operation!
I could just get in through clearing but it's not guaranteed that I'll get a place! I'm really stuck on what I should do.. PLEASE HELP?!
999tigger
Badges: 19
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Xo_ltm)
Hey everyone! I'm really stuck and I don't know what to do..

As you all know, results day was last month, and I was planning on studying marketing, however, I only received 80 UCAS points so I wasn't able to get into my dream uni..

I have now decided to take a gap year, due to the fact that I had an operation on my foot, so it'll be hard for me to get around campus on crutches.. and I also needed more time to prepare myself.

Since results day I've done some research and thinking.. now I've changed my mind about the course I want to study. I now want to study advertising and marketing communications at DMU! However, the UCAS points required are 112 points and I only received 80! I know that I'm 32 points short and I'm really stuck on what I should do! Yes, I've looked at other universities, but they're either really low on the league tables or even higher than 112.

I was thinking of doing a fast track course or something.. or. going back to college but I think it's too late for me to enroll now. And I still haven't recovered from my operation!
I could just get in through clearing but it's not guaranteed that I'll get a place! I'm really stuck on what I should do.. PLEASE HELP?!
Was that 80 points from 2 A levels or three?
What did you get and in what?

Resit and teach yourself.
Do a BTEC and just ask to be put on as a late entrant.
Contact them tomorrow. You need the BTEC equivalent to 1 or 1.5 A levels.
You could also do an EPQ if you need the few extra.

If you want to go to DMU then go to DMU.
Xo_ltm
Rep:
(Original post by 999tigger)
Was that 80 points from 2 A levels or three?
What did you get and in what?

Resit and teach yourself.
Do a BTEC and just ask to be put on as a late entrant.
Contact them tomorrow. You need the BTEC equivalent to 1 or 1.5 A levels.
You could also do an EPQ if you need the few extra.

If you want to go to DMU then go to DMU.

thank you so much! I really appreciate your help! And it was from 3 A Levels. I got
C- Media studies
D- Applied Business
D - sociology
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Xo_ltm)
thank you so much! I really appreciate your help! And it was from 3 A Levels. I got
C- Media studies
D- Applied Business
D - sociology

So the requirement is 112 points , which is BBC

So of those which ones do you wish to resit and how can you do better?
It will be hard to find a school that will let you resit so you normally do it as a private candidate. You need to make 4 grades.

Think carefully about which ones you can improve and if its in your reach.

If you have lost confidence, then you can take a BTEC subsidiary diploma or a 90 credit diploma which = 1 and 1.5 A levels. You can do that in a year. There is a diploma thats equivalent to 2 A levels, but not sure if that can be done in a year.

You could use that to replace one of the A levels if you had lost confidence.

So the plan would be:

1. ID which A levels to resit. 2 or 3
2. Check college to see if there was a btec you could do in a year. ASAP.
3. Check with DMU your subject mix was ok and whether they accept epq.
4. If you did EPQ as a backup, then you could do an advert or marketing campaign or event and that might get their interest. The EPQ is worth up to 20 UCAS points so a potential grade for you.
5. Get a job and save money.
6. Get some work experience to put on your app.
7. Get revising plus some revision books and practice exams.
8. Strengthen your UCAS App
9. Revise in good time- good notes and do exam questions.
10. Pass all your exams.
11. This time next year you will start DMU.

Something like that. Start organising yourself.
Xo_ltm
Rep:
(Original post by 999tigger)
So the requirement is 112 points , which is BBC

So of those which ones do you wish to resit and how can you do better?
It will be hard to find a school that will let you resit so you normally do it as a private candidate. You need to make 4 grades.

Think carefully about which ones you can improve and if its in your reach.

If you have lost confidence, then you can take a BTEC subsidiary diploma or a 90 credit diploma which = 1 and 1.5 A levels. You can do that in a year. There is a diploma thats equivalent to 2 A levels, but not sure if that can be done in a year.

You could use that to replace one of the A levels if you had lost confidence.

So the plan would be:

1. ID which A levels to resit. 2 or 3
2. Check college to see if there was a btec you could do in a year. ASAP.
3. Check with DMU your subject mix was ok and whether they accept epq.
4. If you did EPQ as a backup, then you could do an advert or marketing campaign or event and that might get their interest. The EPQ is worth up to 20 UCAS points so a potential grade for you.
5. Get a job and save money.
6. Get some work experience to put on your app.
7. Get revising plus some revision books and practice exams.
8. Strengthen your UCAS App
9. Revise in good time- good notes and do exam questions.
10. Pass all your exams.
11. This time next year you will start DMU.

Something like that. Start organising yourself.
maybe I could resubmit my coursework from applied business.. but the course is now linear..

Thank you so much for all of your other suggestions! I'll defo check them out! You've been a huge help! I really appreciate it.

Also do you think Its possible that I could improve my ucas points through an apprenticeship?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (179)
41.24%
The paper was reasonable (194)
44.7%
Not feeling great about that exam... (39)
8.99%
It was TERRIBLE (22)
5.07%

Watched Threads