Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Official University of Essex Applicants Thread 2018 Entry Watch

University Navigation

• Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:

:party: The Essex 2018 Applicants Thread! :party:

Welcome to the Essex Applicants Thread 2018! :grin:

This is a thread to meet people who are applying to Essex and talk about it in general. :woo:

Course:
    AS grades (if applicable):
    Predicted grades:

ReputationRep:
    Course: Modern Languages and International Relations
    Predicted: ABC
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessieddurham)
    Course: Modern Languages and International Relations
    Predicted: ABC
    OMG :gah:

I got in to study International Relations this year, chose an optional German module, and will study Japanese through the Languages for All programme! :five:

Something tells me we will get along if you come to Essex :awesome:

What languages are you choosing? Do you think Essex will be your firm?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michiyo)
    OMG :gah:

I got in to study International Relations this year, chose an optional German module, and will study Japanese through the Languages for All programme! :five:

Something tells me we will get along if you come to Essex :awesome:

What languages are you choosing? Do you think Essex will be your firm?
    Ahhh that's so cool!

We probably will! I'm choosing French and German I think so but I haven't visited yet so I guess it depends on that. If I get an offer I'll go to an applicant day though
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh that's so cool!

We probably will! I'm choosing French and German I think so but I haven't visited yet so I guess it depends on that. If I get an offer I'll go to an applicant day though
    I know, right? Our course is almost the same :five:

I am very sure you will get an offer, do not worry!

Best of luck to you :hugs: What are your other choices, if I may ask?

ReputationRep:
    I know, right? Our course is almost the same :five:

I am very sure you will get an offer, do not worry!

Best of luck to you :hugs: What are your other choices, if I may ask?
    Oh I hope so!
    Thank you I'm applying to University of York and Newcastle for French and German, University of Sheffield for French, German and Italian, and Royal Holloway for French and International Relations

Where else did you apply?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Oh I hope so!
    Thank you I'm applying to University of York and Newcastle for French and German, University of Sheffield for French, German and Italian, and Royal Holloway for French and International Relations

Where else did you apply?
    Wow, it sounds challenging to make a personal statement (or like three, it seems) for so many different courses :zomg: Good luck! :hugs:

Nowhere this year, I am starting at Essex on the 5th! :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Wow, it sounds challenging to make a personal statement (or like three, it seems) for so many different courses :zomg: Good luck! :hugs:

Nowhere this year, I am starting at Essex on the 5th! :rofl:
    Yes it was a challenge, very stressful

Good luck!
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Yes it was a challenge, very stressful

Good luck!
    At least that is out of the way now :console:

Thank you :grin:

P.S.: I am quite sure that at Essex, you can study all the things you want: International Relations, French/German, and Italian as part of your degree and French/German through the Languages for All programme

ReputationRep:
    At least that is out of the way now :console:

Thank you :grin:

P.S.: I am quite sure that at Essex, you can study all the things you want: International Relations, French/German, and Italian as part of your degree and French/German through the Languages for All programme
    Yes and I'm sending my UCAS off tomorrow!
    Oh really? I didn't know! I'll have a look into that, thank you!
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Yes and I'm sending my UCAS off tomorrow!
    Oh really? I didn't know! I'll have a look into that, thank you!
    Awesome! Good job :woo:

Yes, I am pretty sure! :yep: Here it says that French/German and Italian are available as part of the degree and while Languages for All does not offer Italian, it offers French and German You might have to double check just in case, though :yes: Even if you are more advanced in French and German than beginner level, I think you might have optional modules from any department, and I believe that you can choose yet another language as an optional module like I did :grin:

You are more than welcome, I hope it helps! :cube:

ReputationRep:
    Course: History BA
    AS grades (if applicable): I got ABBB at AS
    Predicted grades: Doing a gap year so have A-level grades already. ABC

Also applying to Cardiff, Sussex, Kent, QMUL
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oscar1602)
    Course: History BA
    AS grades (if applicable): I got ABBB at AS
    Predicted grades: Doing a gap year so have A-level grades already. ABC

Also applying to Cardiff, Sussex, Kent, QMUL
    Well done! :woo: You will definitely get an offer :yep:

I am actually doing a history module! :yep: Europe 1450-1750 is the module. I know the module about history after 1750 is compulsory for history students, but the one I am doing is similar enough, I guess.

Best of luck with your application! :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Well done! :woo: You will definitely get an offer :yep:

I am actually doing a history module! :yep: Europe 1450-1750 is the module. I know the module about history after 1750 is compulsory for history students, but the one I am doing is similar enough, I guess.

Best of luck with your application! :hugs:
    Haha thanks! Yeah hopefully

Ah wow really! I've studied British history from 1600-1702, so I know a tiny bit about that. It looks like a really interesting period though so I am sure you will really enjoy it!!! :banana:

Ah thanks. And best of luck to you with your course! When are you moving in? :groovy:
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Haha thanks! Yeah hopefully

Ah wow really! I've studied British history from 1600-1702, so I know a tiny bit about that. It looks like a really interesting period though so I am sure you will really enjoy it!!! :banana:

Ah thanks. And best of luck to you with your course! When are you moving in? :groovy:
    Is it going to be your firm or insurance if you get an offer, if I may ask?

That is cool! :five: My historical knowledge is mostly from the industrial revolution onwards, but 1450-1750 Europe sounded interesting :dance:

I bet I will

Thank you! I am moving in on 4th October.

ReputationRep:
    Is it going to be your firm or insurance if you get an offer, if I may ask?

That is cool! :five: My historical knowledge is mostly from the industrial revolution onwards, but 1450-1750 Europe sounded interesting :dance:

I bet I will

Thank you! I am moving in on 4th October.
    Aaah that's so exciting!! :bumps:
    Probably insurance. I really loved Cardiff when I visited it. Just preferred the atmosphere a tiny bit more than Colchester, but I have loads of family in Colchester too so idk! Decisions!!! :lol: -- I'm not sure what happens with the fact that I already have my results though, do i still have to choose a firm and insurance choice? Or do I just pick 1 that I got an offer from aha.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aaah that's so exciting!! :bumps:
    Probably insurance. I really loved Cardiff when I visited it. Just preferred the atmosphere a tiny bit more than Colchester, but I have loads of family in Colchester too so idk! Decisions!!! :lol: -- I'm not sure what happens with the fact that I already have my results though, do i still have to choose a firm and insurance choice? Or do I just pick 1 that I got an offer from aha.
    IKR? :five:

IKEAPanda37 is starting at Cardiff this September

Hahaha, that is true :rofl: All of your offers will be unconditional, I am guessing, so just pick which one you want most

ReputationRep:
    IKR? :five:

IKEAPanda37 is starting at Cardiff this September

Hahaha, that is true :rofl: All of your offers will be unconditional, I am guessing, so just pick which one you want most
    Yeah that's what I was thinking haha. I'll let you know if I end up choosing Essex though!

Woo IKEAPanda37! I know someone who just started yesterday. Have you moved in yet? And what course are you studying?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's what I was thinking haha. I'll let you know if I end up choosing Essex though!

Woo IKEAPanda37! I know someone who just started yesterday. Have you moved in yet? And what course are you studying?
    Please do so! I would be more than happy to show you around, talk to you about how the university is like, and so forth if you come to Essex :awesome:

ReputationRep:

Hey there :hi:
    Ooh nice :thumbsup:
    Not yet, I move in tomorrow which is both terrifying :eek: :eek2: :eek3: :eek4: but also proper exciting :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo:
    I'm studying French, Beginners Spanish and Translation (+ Foundation Welsh) What course are you planning to do?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.