The Student Room Group
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website

The Official University of Essex Applicants Thread 2018 Entry

:party: The Essex 2018 Applicants Thread! :party:

Welcome to the Essex Applicants Thread 2018! :grin:

This is a thread to meet people who are applying to Essex and talk about it in general. :woo:

Course:
AS grades (if applicable):
Predicted grades:

Scroll to see replies

Course: Modern Languages and International Relations
Predicted: ABC :smile:
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Jessieddurham
Course: Modern Languages and International Relations
Predicted: ABC :smile:

OMG :gah:

I got in to study International Relations this year, chose an optional German module, and will study Japanese through the Languages for All programme! :five:

Something tells me we will get along if you come to Essex :awesome:

What languages are you choosing? :smile: Do you think Essex will be your firm? :h:
Original post by Michiyo
OMG :gah:

I got in to study International Relations this year, chose an optional German module, and will study Japanese through the Languages for All programme! :five:

Something tells me we will get along if you come to Essex :awesome:

What languages are you choosing? :smile: Do you think Essex will be your firm? :h:

Ahhh that's so cool!:biggrin:

We probably will! I'm choosing French and German:smile: I think so but I haven't visited yet so I guess it depends on that. If I get an offer I'll go to an applicant day though:h:
Reply 4
Ahhh that's so cool!:biggrin:

We probably will! I'm choosing French and German:smile: I think so but I haven't visited yet so I guess it depends on that. If I get an offer I'll go to an applicant day though:h:

I know, right? :biggrin: Our course is almost the same :five:

I am very sure you will get an offer, do not worry! :wink:

Best of luck to you :hugs: What are your other choices, if I may ask? :h:
Original post by Michiyo
I know, right? :biggrin: Our course is almost the same :five:

I am very sure you will get an offer, do not worry! :wink:

Best of luck to you :hugs: What are your other choices, if I may ask? :h:

Oh I hope so!
Thank you :smile: I'm applying to University of York and Newcastle for French and German, University of Sheffield for French, German and Italian, and Royal Holloway for French and International Relations:h:

Where else did you apply?
Reply 6
Oh I hope so!
Thank you :smile: I'm applying to University of York and Newcastle for French and German, University of Sheffield for French, German and Italian, and Royal Holloway for French and International Relations:h:

Where else did you apply?

Wow, it sounds challenging to make a personal statement (or like three, it seems) for so many different courses :zomg: Good luck! :hugs:

Nowhere this year, I am starting at Essex on the 5th! :rofl:
Original post by Michiyo
Wow, it sounds challenging to make a personal statement (or like three, it seems) for so many different courses :zomg: Good luck! :hugs:

Nowhere this year, I am starting at Essex on the 5th! :rofl:

Yes it was a challenge, very stressful:angry:

Good luck!
Reply 8
Yes it was a challenge, very stressful:angry:

Good luck!

At least that is out of the way now :console:

Thank you :grin:

P.S.: I am quite sure that at Essex, you can study all the things you want: International Relations, French/German, and Italian as part of your degree and French/German through the Languages for All programme :wink:
Original post by Michiyo
At least that is out of the way now :console:

Thank you :grin:

P.S.: I am quite sure that at Essex, you can study all the things you want: International Relations, French/German, and Italian as part of your degree and French/German through the Languages for All programme :wink:

Yes and I'm sending my UCAS off tomorrow!:smile:
Oh really? I didn't know! I'll have a look into that, thank you!:h:
Reply 10
Yes and I'm sending my UCAS off tomorrow!:smile:
Oh really? I didn't know! I'll have a look into that, thank you!:h:

Awesome! :biggrin: Good job :woo:

Yes, I am pretty sure! :yep: Here it says that French/German and Italian are available as part of the degree and while Languages for All does not offer Italian, it offers French and German :h: You might have to double check just in case, though :yes: Even if you are more advanced in French and German than beginner level, I think you might have optional modules from any department, and I believe that you can choose yet another language as an optional module like I did :grin:

You are more than welcome, I hope it helps! :cube:
(edited 6 years ago)
Course: History BA
AS grades (if applicable): I got ABBB at AS
Predicted grades: Doing a gap year so have A-level grades already. ABC :smile:

Also applying to Cardiff, Sussex, Kent, QMUL
Reply 12
Original post by Oscar1602
Course: History BA
AS grades (if applicable): I got ABBB at AS
Predicted grades: Doing a gap year so have A-level grades already. ABC :smile:

Also applying to Cardiff, Sussex, Kent, QMUL

Well done! :woo: You will definitely get an offer :yep:

I am actually doing a history module! :yep: Europe 1450-1750 is the module. :smile: I know the module about history after 1750 is compulsory for history students, but the one I am doing is similar enough, I guess. :colondollar:

Best of luck with your application! :hugs:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Michiyo
Well done! :woo: You will definitely get an offer :yep:

I am actually doing a history module! :yep: Europe 1450-1750 is the module. :smile: I know the module about history after 1750 is compulsory for history students, but the one I am doing is similar enough, I guess. :colondollar:

Best of luck with your application! :hugs:

Haha thanks! Yeah hopefully :smile:

Ah wow really! I've studied British history from 1600-1702, so I know a tiny bit about that. It looks like a really interesting period though so I am sure you will really enjoy it!!! :banana:

Ah thanks. And best of luck to you with your course! When are you moving in? :groovy:
Reply 14
Haha thanks! Yeah hopefully :smile:

Ah wow really! I've studied British history from 1600-1702, so I know a tiny bit about that. It looks like a really interesting period though so I am sure you will really enjoy it!!! :banana:

Ah thanks. And best of luck to you with your course! When are you moving in? :groovy:

Is it going to be your firm or insurance if you get an offer, if I may ask? :h:

That is cool! :five: My historical knowledge is mostly from the industrial revolution onwards, but 1450-1750 Europe sounded interesting :dance:

I bet I will :wink:

Thank you! :biggrin: I am moving in on 4th October. :colondollar:
Original post by Michiyo
Is it going to be your firm or insurance if you get an offer, if I may ask? :h:

That is cool! :five: My historical knowledge is mostly from the industrial revolution onwards, but 1450-1750 Europe sounded interesting :dance:

I bet I will :wink:

Thank you! :biggrin: I am moving in on 4th October. :colondollar:

Aaah that's so exciting!! :bumps:
Probably insurance. I really loved Cardiff when I visited it. Just preferred the atmosphere a tiny bit more than Colchester, but I have loads of family in Colchester too so idk! Decisions!!! :lol: -- I'm not sure what happens with the fact that I already have my results though, do i still have to choose a firm and insurance choice? Or do I just pick 1 that I got an offer from aha.
Reply 16
Aaah that's so exciting!! :bumps:
Probably insurance. I really loved Cardiff when I visited it. Just preferred the atmosphere a tiny bit more than Colchester, but I have loads of family in Colchester too so idk! Decisions!!! :lol: -- I'm not sure what happens with the fact that I already have my results though, do i still have to choose a firm and insurance choice? Or do I just pick 1 that I got an offer from aha.

IKR? :five:

@IKEAPanda37 is starting at Cardiff this September :biggrin:

Hahaha, that is true :rofl: All of your offers will be unconditional, I am guessing, so just pick which one you want most :wink:
Original post by Michiyo
IKR? :five:

@IKEAPanda37 is starting at Cardiff this September :biggrin:

Hahaha, that is true :rofl: All of your offers will be unconditional, I am guessing, so just pick which one you want most :wink:

Yeah that's what I was thinking haha. I'll let you know if I end up choosing Essex though! :biggrin:

Woo @IKEAPanda37! I know someone who just started yesterday. Have you moved in yet? And what course are you studying? :tongue:
Reply 18
Yeah that's what I was thinking haha. I'll let you know if I end up choosing Essex though! :biggrin:

Woo @IKEAPanda37! I know someone who just started yesterday. Have you moved in yet? And what course are you studying? :tongue:

Please do so! I would be more than happy to show you around, talk to you about how the university is like, and so forth if you come to Essex :awesome:

Hey there :hi:
Ooh nice :thumbsup:
Not yet, I move in tomorrow which is both terrifying :eek: :eek2: :eek3: :eek4: but also proper exciting :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo:
I'm studying French, Beginners Spanish and Translation (+ Foundation Welsh) :h: What course are you planning to do? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest