University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website

The Official University of Essex Applicants Thread 2018 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Course: English Lit
AS grades (if applicable): I've got 2 A Levels complete, (B,C) and finishing the third this year (B at AS)
Predicted grades: B (I think - teacher not very clear)

I got my application in on the 20th Dec and haven't heard back yet, so I'm not sure if I've not heard back because the course wants BBB and I'm likely going to have BBC or if it got buried over X-Mas! How long did it take everyone else to hear back? Do I have a shot at an offer?
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
Original post by MKBH
AS grades (if applicable): I've got 2 A Levels complete, (B,C) and finishing the third this year (B at AS)

I got my application in on the 20th Dec and haven't heard back yet, so I'm not sure if I've not heard back because the course wants BBB and I'm likely going to have BBC or if it got buried over X-Mas! How long did it take everyone else to hear back? Do I have a shot at an offer?

I heard back within three weeks (can't remember how long exactly) but that was back in November. The university shuts down at Christmas so you probably won't hear back until mid January.

I reckon you have a shot at an offer if they like your personal statement. From what I have heard, Essex care more about who you are than what grades you get.
Original post by Rowan-Tree
I heard back within three weeks (can't remember how long exactly) but that was back in November. The university shuts down at Christmas so you probably won't hear back until mid January.

I reckon you have a shot at an offer if they like your personal statement. From what I have heard, Essex care more about who you are than what grades you get.

I have BCD at AS Level, BBC predicted and I got an offer
Reply 63
Original post by MKBH

You definitely do! As a current Essex student, I can assure you that your grades are good enough. I know plenty of people who got the same grades as you or even worse and they got in. In a worst case scenario, you can apply through Clearing as the university is more lenient then. Do not worry, I am sure it will be fine! :hugs:
Original post by Michiyo

Welcome to the Essex Applicants Thread 2018! :grin:

This is a thread to meet people who are applying to Essex and talk about it in general. :woo:

Course: Law LLB
AS grades (if applicable): not applicable as Im doing a transfer course so I'll only be doing my third year in UK. But for my 1st year result, I scored 4B+
Predicted grades: For 2nd year would be 2A 2B+
Reply 65
Hi again! I've heard back, which I'm thrilled about! Got an interview (wish me luck!!!)
@ anyone here who's already had their interview - I did the link thing to confirm I wanted to attend, and that's all fine, but did you get an actual time? I didn't see one and need to sort out train tickets...
(there was something about before 12:30 being a tour/accommodation/other stuff that basically seemed like a condensed open day but IDK how that impacts interviews)
Original post by MKBH
Hi again! I've heard back, which I'm thrilled about! Got an interview (wish me luck!!!)
@ anyone here who's already had their interview - I did the link thing to confirm I wanted to attend, and that's all fine, but did you get an actual time? I didn't see one and need to sort out train tickets...
(there was something about before 12:30 being a tour/accommodation/other stuff that basically seemed like a condensed open day but IDK how that impacts interviews)

Congratulations on getting an interview!! :biggrin:

If you don't attend the condensed open day it does not impact your interview at all, at least it didn't for me. I wanted to look at a few things so I arrived at about 11:30 but if there was nothing I needed to see turning up lwter would have been fine.

I would recommend arriving for 12:15, though, so you can get checked in and everything :smile:
Is anyone applying for marketing management ^-^If you are, what r ur qualifications and did u get an offer?
Course: Politics BA
AS grades (if applicable): ABBB at AS
Predicted grades: A*AAA
Hi everyone!
Essex is my first choice
Course: Modern Languages BA
Grades: Official predictions on my already sent and submitted UCAS form are BBC but I am working my way up to BBB
I was invited to an interview back in December however unfortunately it fell on the same day as my birthday (its unfortunate) so I asked for a different day so I will be attending on the 31st January instead. I really hope to get an offer as I previously visited on an open day and fell in love with the campus
Course: communication and digital culture with a foundation year.

Already got my grades just waiting to hear back.
Hello everyone!
Course: International Relations
Predicted: A*AA

I'm an international, so I'm not familiar with how long this takes. But it's been like 14 days and I still don't have an offer :s-smilie:
Reply 72
Original post by Vishwanadh
Hello everyone!
Course: International Relations
Predicted: A*AA

I'm an international, so I'm not familiar with how long this takes. But it's been like 14 days and I still don't have an offer :s-smilie:

First year International Relations student at Essex here! :hi: If you have any questions about the course, modules, teachers, and so forth, feel free to ask me :biggrin:

Those predicted grades are amazing :shock: Well done! :rave:

Do not worry, you will definitely get an offer :wink:

Two weeks is nothing :lol: Last year, I had to wait three months to get an offer from another university. A few others waited five months. Most universities send offers within a month or two from what I heard, though :yes:
Original post by beth30hill
Anyone else recieved an invite for an interview to study psychology?

I have a group one tomorrow - have you had yours yet??
Original post by Michiyo
First year International Relations student at Essex here! :hi: If you have any questions about the course, modules, teachers, and so forth, feel free to ask me :biggrin:

Those predicted grades are amazing :shock: Well done! :rave:

Do not worry, you will definitely get an offer :wink:

Two weeks is nothing :lol: Last year, I had to wait three months to get an offer from another university. A few others waited five months. Most universities send offers within a month or two from what I heard, though :yes:

Oh. Nice! How's the course going for you? Is the workload a lot more than A levels? Are there many international students in the program? Are the professors approachable or are most of the classes big seminars where interaction might be hard? Oh, and how's the Anime scene at Essex? Sorry for asking so many questions 😅
Got a conditional offer. I kind of expected to miss it, because they asked for some documentation about my pre-IB education (I'm an international student), and I... forgot about it. Send them the scans in the evening, yesterday, when I realized they wanted them by the 16th.. and got the offer the next day. No clue why they wanted a couple of Polish documents without a translation, but whatever.

Applying for International Relations and Modern Languages. I don't remember the typical offer grades now, I'm predicted 666 from HL and 39 points overall. (My EE is **** though so I am definitely not getting that many.) My offer is ridiculously low tho - 30 points and a 3 (!) in HL English (I'm taking English Literature HL, also writing EE in it).

Shoutout to other people applying for international relations!

(I have no clue how to cite here, sorry) What's the faculty like? Class sizes and idk, "studying culture" or rather - is it true that drinking is rather hardcore at UK universitiies and Essex specifically? I see you're not a IR&Modern Languages student, but I'll ask anyway - have heard of anyone studying Japanese outside the Languages for All scheme?
Course: Sports Therapy
Predicted: CCD 🙃
Reply 77
Original post by Vishwanadh
Oh. Nice! How's the course going for you? Is the workload a lot more than A levels? Are there many international students in the program? Are the professors approachable or are most of the classes big seminars where interaction might be hard? Oh, and how's the Anime scene at Essex? Sorry for asking so many questions 😅

The course is going alright, actually! :biggrin: I am getting a First so far, so I am content :yes:

The workload is indeed waaaaay more than at A-levels. By 'workload', I mean that we have to read a lot and make notes of everything we read, too. It can be a bit overwhelming at the beginning, but you get used to it quickly. :smile:

LOTS. I know more non-UK students than UK students on my course. :lol: One of my lecturers even said that we were the most diverse class she had ever taught :rofl:

I would say the professors are approachable and they have office hours if anyone needs any academic support. In fact, we even have GTAs (Graduate Teaching Assistants) for the seminars; they are students currently studying for their Master's who teach the class, so they are usually not much older than us!

As for the seminars, they are not that big. I think they have like 15-20 people in them (even less if people skip classes sometimes), so it is not hard to interact with the teacher. In one of my modules, we often have group discussions.

I like anime too! :five: There is an Anime Club which meets up or screens anime in the Lecture Theatre Building weekly :smile:

Do not worry at all! :cube: I am here at your service; even if you ask 1000000 questions, I will still answer them to the best of my ability! :bigsmile:

Original post by humanracesvice

(I have no clue how to cite here, sorry) What's the faculty like? Class sizes and idk, "studying culture" or rather - is it true that drinking is rather hardcore at UK universitiies and Essex specifically? I see you're not a IR&Modern Languages student, but I'll ask anyway - have heard of anyone studying Japanese outside the Languages for All scheme?

Well done on your offer! :hugs:

Do not worry :h: Click on the orange 'reply' button or the +" button right under the post on the right side, parallel to the rep (thumbs up) button. :smile:

The classes are quite small (15-20) and interactive. :biggrin:

We do not study culture; that falls under sociology modules! You are free to choose some in your first year if you want and they are offered since 60 credits (2 modules of 30 credits or 4 modules of 15 credits) are made up of optional modules, though :yes:

It is very true that drinking culture in UK universities is extremely widespread. I remember how in Freshers' Week I pitied the poor people who work at the bar because they had so many drinks to serve. Drinking is so abundant that an alcohol fountain would not look out of place. :lol: The only time when the bar is almost empty is during times when students have essays due or exams soon (and during the holidays, e. g. the Christmas holiday). I do not know whether drinking is more or less popular at Essex than at other universities, though. :s-smilie:

However, if you do not drink, that is fine! :grin: I myself do not drink and I still made friends and had fun :awesome: It is just that if you live in university accommodation, odds are that you will definitely not be placed in a house full of non-drinkers like yourself. :redface:

Japanese is only offered through Languages for All :sadnod: My optional modules are from other departments (one is a history module and one is a German module) and I could not choose Japanese for my optional module. :sad:
Reply 78
I've firmed an offer to do History with a year abroad at Essex, I kind of forgot I applied there because I sent my UCAS application off in November and they got back to me mid January but the offer was ridiculously low if I made them my firm choice so I accepted :smile:
Original post by l.davis
I've firmed an offer to do History with a year abroad at Essex, I kind of forgot I applied there because I sent my UCAS application off in November and they got back to me mid January but the offer was ridiculously low if I made them my firm choice so I accepted :smile:

Congrats!! :biggrin: Have you looked into applying for accomdation yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending