The Student Room Group

Bs or BA Degree? (Economics)

Trying to decide what Economics courses to apply for at Uni, I keep seeing both a BA in Economics and a Bs; which is more highly regarded? I've heard that BAs are more humanity and social science based and a Bs is more statistical and analytic. But, when it comes to getting a job, will they be particularly critical about whether they want either one? I know it's a vague question but any advice would be useful.
Depends what you want to go into
Reply 2
Original post by APersonYo
Depends what you want to go into

Something financial probably
Youre fine the
Original post by debruxelles
Trying to decide what Economics courses to apply for at Uni, I keep seeing both a BA in Economics and a Bs; which is more highly regarded? I've heard that BAs are more humanity and social science based and a Bs is more statistical and analytic. But, when it comes to getting a job, will they be particularly critical about whether they want either one? I know it's a vague question but any advice would be useful.

BA, BSc, and so on are just degree titles. They are really quite meaningless. I have a master of arts degree in psychology and now work in the faculty of science at another university, for example.

They are not held in higher regard to one another - they serve completely different purposes. Pick the one with the modules that you prefer (if they differ).
Reply 5
Original post by Cubone-r
BA, BSc, and so on are just degree titles. They are really quite meaningless. I have a master of arts degree in psychology and now work in the faculty of science at another university, for example.

They are not held in higher regard to one another - they serve completely different purposes. Pick the one with the modules that you prefer (if they differ).

Thanks a lot! If I wanted to do the BA (In this case a less mathematical degree in economics) do you think it would limit me later on in life if I wanted to go into something maths based liked banking? I know you said they are meaningless but I'm sure employers must look at these titles.
Original post by debruxelles
Thanks a lot! If I wanted to do the BA (In this case a less mathematical degree in economics) do you think it would limit me later on in life if I wanted to go into something maths based liked banking? I know you said they are meaningless but I'm sure employers must look at these titles.

It depends if your BA degree includes mathematic modules. This is why you need to look closely at the modules available to you on each degree and choose the one which you think will most benefit your career aspirations.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending