The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

How financially difficult is living in London as a student?

I'm currently looking at universities and QMU has really impressed me but my dad thinks that living in central London will be too much of a financial strain. We're not a hugely well off family so I would have to be pretty independent in terms of money and I'm worried that finding second year accommodation would be diffucult. Realistically, would I have to commute to uni in second and third year, how expensive would it be and do you think the bigger loan is worth it? Any other info about student life at QMU/ in central London would be great too :smile:
Original post by lucyjane99
I'm currently looking at universities and QMU has really impressed me but my dad thinks that living in central London will be too much of a financial strain. We're not a hugely well off family so I would have to be pretty independent in terms of money and I'm worried that finding second year accommodation would be diffucult. Realistically, would I have to commute to uni in second and third year, how expensive would it be and do you think the bigger loan is worth it? Any other info about student life at QMU/ in central London would be great too :smile:

How far do you live from QM?
Commuting is the cheaper option, depending on the zone you live in, travel costs can be between £17 - £80 a week.
Or you can get a monthly pass which is a little bit cheaper.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Isn't queen mary in east london? Rather cheap there. Could be wrong though.
Reply 3
I live in Liverpool but I meant would the house that I get in second/third year likely be quite a distance from the uni?
Reply 4
You can find some adequate rooms for £650 a month all bills included around East London. Could you work at a cafe/bar part time to help?
Original post by Tyde_dv12
Isn't queen mary in east london? Rather cheap there. Could be wrong though.

It's cheaper relative to other areas of London but still significantly pricey compared to the UK average

Quick Reply

Latest