Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hey! I didn't see a thread up yet, so I thought we should have one! Who else is applying to Bristol for entry next year? :woo:

This is a place to meet other applicants and chat during the application process

Name: Amelia
    Course: Neuroscience BSc
    Predicted grades: This is a little different for me as I'm studying an Access to HE course, but I'm aiming for 45 Distinctions!
    Also applying at: KCL, Cardiff and Sussex.

Have you been to an open day yet? The labs for biosciences look so good. They're pretty high up, so you can see out over the campus into the town :moon:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who went to the Open Days?

ReputationRep:
    I'm considering applying to Bristol, but am not sure. There's so many good uni's out there . What course are you interested in?

(I haven't visited an open day since I'm not from the UK, and just flying there and back for one uni is a bit too much haha)

ReputationRep:
    Uni of Bristol Open Day film :http://www.bristol.ac.uk/opendays/watch/

General film about the Uni : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skYuG7xQbC8

'Tourist' film about the city : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khM7tjui86Q

ReputationRep:
    Bristol is definitely going to be on the 5 I'm applying to. The open day was fantastic!

My course choice is economics and management, just need to get AAA

ReputationRep:
    So, who is planning to go to the Open Day on Sept 9 ?

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/opendays/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    So, who is planning to go to the Open Day on Sept 9 ?

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/opendays/
    i'm going to this open day! i'm looking at chemical physics you?

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I'm probably going to apply for Sociology and Politics

ReputationRep:
    Hey AmeliaLost

Funnily enough, I am doing Neuroscience at Bristol and also did an Access to HE course, if you have any questions feel free to ask. . Good luck, Access courses are great fun!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Paulington)
    Hey AmeliaLost

Funnily enough, I am doing Neuroscience at Bristol and also did an Access to HE course, if you have any questions feel free to ask. . Good luck, Access courses are great fun!
    Awesome, thanks! What year are you in at Bristol?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmeliaLost)
    Awesome, thanks! What year are you in at Bristol?
    This is my first year, over the moon to be going! What subjects have you chosen to study for your Access course? I did Maths, Medical Physics and Chemistry at City of Bristol College.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Paulington)
    This is my first year, over the moon to be going! What subjects have you chosen to study for your Access course? I did Maths, Medical Physics and Chemistry at City of Bristol College.
    Ahh awesome! I can imagine! Are you in halls this year then?

I'm doing maths and chemistry too, but biology rather than medical physics which isn't offered at my college. That sounds super interesting though - is it modules on imaging and similar stuff?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmeliaLost)
    Ahh awesome! I can imagine! Are you in halls this year then?

I'm doing maths and chemistry too, but biology rather than medical physics which isn't offered at my college. That sounds super interesting though - is it modules on imaging and similar stuff?
    Ah no, I've lived in Bristol my whole life so staying in the house I am in. No point moving when I'm so close already.

Maths and Chemistry are super fun, it starts off relatively slowly especially if you have a bit of prior knowledge, even defining things like prime numbers/basic algebra but once you start moving on you get into quite complex mathematics, delving deep into integration/differentiation, related rates of change, a bit of trig and some complex algebra.

Same for Chemistry, slow start to "build people up" but really ramps up. The good part is that most modules have around 6-9 different grade descriptors, so even if you don't manage a Distinction in your exam, you can still get an "overall" Distinction for your unit by acing your essays/other tested assignments.

Yep! We did modules on medical imaging, the uses and hazards of standard imaging, how they work, what they are used for, radiation from decay and lots more. We did do some regular physics but always tied in to a medical usage, such as focal points of lenses and myopia.

Not sure about your College, but here we had a total of 9 credits at level 2, they were the "introduction" modules in each class, then 51 credits at level 3 of which 45 were graded. .

ReputationRep:
    Name: Mantha
    Course: International Relations
    Predicted grades: A*AB
    Also applying at: Leeds, Manchester, Exeter, Birmingham

ReputationRep:
    Name: Joe
    Course: Economics
    Predicted grades: AAAA - A*AAA
    Others: Birmingham, Bristol, Warwick, Nottingham and possibly York

ReputationRep:
    Name: Suzanna
    Course: English BA
    Predicted grades: A*A*A
    Also applying at: UCL, KCL, Edinburgh and Surrey

I visited Bristol a few weeks ago and really liked it!
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Welcome Squad
    Name: Dreamliner
    Course: Social Policy
    Predicted Grades: Not Disclosing.
    Also Applying at:SOAS,Exeter,KCL,Newcastle, Buckingham (non-UCAS)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qmwnebrv)
    I had an offer of AAA for international relations and got AAB. They rejected me on results but do you think they’ll let me in. With my gap year i’m working at John Lewis so getting lots of skills amd keeping reading about the subject!
    Only if you resit your A levels, otherwise it'll be a straight rejection. Look at 'Politics and Sociology' - that has a lower entry requirement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Only if you resit your A levels, otherwise it'll be a straight rejection. Look at 'Politics and Sociology' - that has a lower entry requirement.
    I have been, might apply for that but its a shame because pol and ir has more choice in modules

ReputationRep:
    Name: Sam
    Course: Economics and Management
    Predicted grades: A*A*A (and A in fm AS)
    Also Applying: Oxford, KCL, Warwick, Durham

Bristol/Warwick are actually my first choices. On the open days I much preferred the vibes to Oxford!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 18, 2018
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.